Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

921 results found

1. Selecting text in table inside Story Editor

InDesign 19.0

When I try to select text in a table using Story Editor, the mouse selects text starting one character to the right from where I click. This starts in the 2nd row of text. For each row below that, the selection starts one additional character to the right.

For example, I have a table with 5 rows and each row has the text 'ABCDEFG'. If I try and select the letter 'A' on row 2 by clicking at the start of the text and dragging to the right, the selected text will skip the letter 'A' and start…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Optical margin

Optical margin behaves oddly in InDesign 19.0. I've attached a screen recording showing this behavior:

This is a file that had been created in a previous version of ID—probably 13 or so—and has handled migration to subsequent versions gracefully. However, when I opened it in 19 and attempted to edit some text, the optical margin in that paragraph behaves strangely, turning itself off on certain lines.

Deactivating and reactivating optical margin does not correct it. Some adjustment is made, but not enough.

I haven't been able to reproduce this behavior in text blocks created in 19, so it appears to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Logical bug: font weight change to bold and back

System: ID version 17.4.2 on Windows 10.
    Problem: some fonts have weights like "Light", next to Regular and Bold. If a text is set to weight Light and you change to Bold by Ctrl+Shift+B, the text becomes bold. When changing it back, it doesn't become Light, but Regular. The logic would be to check if there is a paragraph style applied and what's its default weight and use this when "unbolding".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Keyboard Right and Left arrow same as Up and Down Arrow

InDesign version 19.0 x64 English תומך עברית

The Keyboard Right arrow is moving the curser one line up, and the Keyboard Left arrow is moving the curse on line down, instaed of moving the curser right or left.
    The keyboard shortcuts are showing the correct behavior, but in fact it's incorrect.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Problem in the ME version in the latest update 19.0

In the latest update of the InDesign 19.0 there is a problem with paragraph direction. Even if it is set to right to left it still remains left to right

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Issue with Word Breaks in Dictionaries on InDesign (last version)

Dear Technical Support Team,

I am writing to inform you about an issue I am experiencing with word breaks in dictionaries, primarily in UK English (the Canadian one has fewer problems), German (2006 reform with Duden activated), and Danish, which are the languages I use the most. This problem has also arisen in other languages. I always switch the dictionary according to the language of the text I am working on. I have mainly encountered these errors using InDesign, but it has also happened to me in Illustrator. Clearly, the word break functionality is not working correctly, and syllabication is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. V18.4-18.5 Text boxes shrinking fractional and hiding last line of text PLUS then 'over-set text' error message not flagging this problem up

I sent a job to print and after it came back 3 text boxes had shrunk fractionally to hide the last line of text. When I then went to make a press-ready pdf, it didn't flag up this error by warning me of "over-set text", so I did not catch this problem in time.

Please see attached files -

My stage 5 of the document, and then the final artwork file for it, with the boxes highlighted.

I didn't get any warning messages for 'over-set text' to flag this missing text up.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. New cross reference dialog: search bug

May be this isn't a bug per se, but it's nasty. When having the "New cross reference" dialog open and with no particular paragraph being selected, you see lots of garbage in the list on the right side. If you search for a specific headline, you'll find it, but not being listed in its actual format, but with the page number attached. You might then think this is just for display, but no, if you add it that way, it adds the text of the cross-ref as shown in the list, with page number. Even if you selected a cross-ref…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Browsing, Searching, and Activating fonts

For the last long while I've been having trouble with fonts in indesign and I've heard that others have the same issues.

Only the first time I open the fonts list after restarting indesign, can I scroll through it with my arrow keys. After that, it doesn't work and therefore, it's very difficult to go through my fonts.

Additionally, when I try typing in to the fonts bar to search for a font, it often doesn't pull up the font, as though it's not installed, when I find it if I scroll through the list.

Also, if I try to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Weird replacement issue with small caps and breaks

When text is set in small caps, the German ß ligature gets replaced by ss. When that replacement then is at the end of a line and the word needs to break and wrap around, InDesign creates missing glyphs.
    This is not an issue with the font and it is not a general issue, because Illustrator doesn't do it. It happens with true small caps and with fake ones.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fonts Issues with InDesign Files (18.5), file sync in OneDrive laptop keep show missing fonts.

The same file was saved and synchronised in OneDrive. Laptop A can open it with no problem/no missing fonts, but laptop B have this missing font issue every single time it opens. Noted that 2 laptops are the same model, same spec and same version. Both has the same fonts installed as well.

Please help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Sinhala text render issue

When typing or copying texts in Sinhala unicode font, the output is rendered incorrectly. For instance, "‌ෙ + ට +ා" must be rendered as "ටො" but in indesign it is rendered as "ට‌ො". It does not create any difference by changing the keystroke pattern. "‌ෙ + ට +ා", "ට + ‌ෙ + ා", "‌ෙ + ා + ට" renders the same output. I tried changing renderer to "World-ready paragraph renderer" but nothing changed in rendering.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Adobe InDesign 18.5 missing Fonts

Missing Fonts in Adobe InDesign 18.5.

Hello,
    Our Corporate Font is always missing in Adobe Indesign 18.5. Our IT checked the Font istallation, Libraray Font Cache ... and we got the Info, it is only an Adobe InDesign problem. Cause the corporate Font is in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop available.

The complete Grafik Team has installed otf and ttf Fonts. (And no we don't use Postscript Typ 1 Fonts.) 😉

Our Typedesigner tested the Font, everything is ok.
    We are using InDesign 18.5 on Mac Ventura 13.5. Deinstalling and install InDesign 18.5 new didn't solve the Problem. The complete Font-Family…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ao importar texto que contenham números ou caracteres automáticos do word ou RTF a numeração vem toda alterada

Ao importar texto que contenham números ou caracteres automáticos do word ou RTF a numeração vem toda alterada

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Using a decimal tab negatively affects line breaks

InDesign 18.5 on Mac
    Providing the steps would involve too many specific formatting choices, so I'll just describe what I'm seeing instead. I have a two-column text box for endnotes (literal; not InDesign-generated. E.g., "[tab]1.[tab]Note text."). I want the descriptors to align on the decimal point. When I use a decimal tab, the following text breaks like this:

[tab]6.[tab]Paul Renouard, Docteur Char-
    cot, cover of...

The width of the text frame, however, will clearly accommodate "cot, cover." If I change the decimal tab to a right tab (and adjust its placement slightly so that the period is in almost exactly…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Text disappears when creating buttons if text wrap is on

I am using the lastest version of Adobe InDesign 18.5

Try to create a button including a more than one text box. Nothing overlaps. The text boxes have text wrapping applied. Group the elements and create button.

Create a "rollover" appearance state.

The text will disappear as if something is causing it to wrap and there is not room for the text even though there is nothing for the text to wrap around.

The text should not disappear when creating buttons using text boxes that include a text wrap.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Alt + numeric keystrokes does not work

ASCII codes not working, that is keeping the LEFT ALT pressed, then typing ASCII codes on the nymeric typepad, finally releasing the LEFT ALT. For example Alt+0167 will give you the paragraph symbol.

Unfortunately, in the newest versions of In-Design, when the LEFT ALT is kept pressed, the program does not accept as input the whole string when Alt is released, but is considering each keystroke as a separate entry, even though Alt is still pressed, something that worked in Windows for 30 years.

So, since I had some shortcuts (eg. Alt+6 for a specific character style), when wanting to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Some text appearing bold where other text in same text box appears as it should

Identically formatted text showing up differently both in document and after pdf export. Likely connected to the neglected bug regarding transparent .png files causing bolding in text elsewhere in document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base