Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Spell check crashing InDesign

InDesign 14.0.2 MacBook Pro

Whenever I try and use Spell Check in my current document, the app crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. can't export tagged pdf

Much time has been spent setting up accessible document in InDesign - added export tagging instructions to paragraph styles, added alt text to all images and figures, anchored images and objects to text, set up reading order using articles. The document will not export to PDF when "create tagged pdf" is selected. Program crashes every time before exporting is complete. Have tried on different computers. Applications are up to date. Have tried exporting from .indd and .idml file types.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

5. Indesign wont open on double click

Whenever i open indesign via double click ont he file the system fails to open, and i get a crash report) the only way is to open indesign program then drag the indesign file into that window for it to open

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign 2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), we recommend that you update to this latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to sharewithID@adobe.com :

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? (Please take a backup of the same before trashing them).

Adobe InDesign team

6. CC 2019 crashes on macOS when running SDK plug-in

Specifically, the crashes at code "actionManager->PerformAction(activeContext, kOpenStructureWinActionID)".
    Our code uses that action to show/hide the structure view.
    And the crash also be reproducable in the sample plugin from InDesign SDK.

Only occurs on macOS, Windows do not have the issue.

The steps are:
    1. Compile the plugin "SnippetRunner.sdk.InDesignPlugin" which is in InDesign CC 2019 SDK.
    2. Load it in InDesign.
    3. Create a new blank document
    4. On SnippetRunner[US] panel, select ManipulateStructureView from dropdown list.
    5. Click Go icon, and choose ChangeStructureViewState(toogle)
    6. Click OK button
    7. Crash.

Crash log attached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. sign out

Trying to sign out of my personal account and log into the agency account. When I click "sign out" a window pops up and then disappears. I don't get signed out. I cleared cookies and signed out on web- no dice. Think I have to delete and reinstall software just to sign into a different login...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

9. InDesign crashes when editing text

21.5" iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
    12 GB RAM
    360+ GB of hard disk space

When attempting to copy text from a word document into 28 Mb file in InDesign, InDesign freezes... endless spinning color wheel. Problem is persistent - every time I try to copy a paragraph of text. It even occurred when I tried typing the paragraph of text.

Tried updating InDesign CC
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Tried using Story Editor to edit text box.

Apple crash report attached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

10. crash

For several days we've had crashes while Indesign CC 2019 (14.0.01) being idle. Might be because links (.psp and/or .indd) are breaking due to network issues, but should not crash even so, just say links are broken. This has resulted in several files corrupted and cannot be restored even if those documents themselves are not affected by the broken links. The Indesign temp-files also seem to become corrupt (often showing 0 byte size).

I've sent several crash reports and heard nothing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Indesign CS5 Extended crashes while launching

https://pastebin.com/HecDn9ag

I hope someone can help me here, as I couldn't find a solution in other threads. I run CS on Mac OS X 10.9.5. All other programs run fine, except InDesign.

All help is much appreciated!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

12. Paste & Crash: The New Adobe Game

14.0.2.324 CRASH Every. SIngle. Time. I. Paste text from Word (16.26 Mac). What tha what tha????

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, nothing works. Is there a fix?

This problem is causing work deadlines to fail.

Is there a way to completely erase all traces of Indesign CC 2019 from my Mac and start fresh?

Here is the crash report attached as a text file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Command W closes all document tabs in order and then crashes InDesign

Using Command W to close a document tab closes all document tabs (in order) before crashing InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Start freeze

When I start InDesign 2019 a pop-up appears that's white. After a while the Adobe logo appears and the loading icon. But that's it. No other menu entries are active
    If I close the pop-up the programm closees

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. CC Libraries panel crashes on right-click

Whenever right-clicking on any item in the CC Libraries panel, the panel crashes. Rebooting computer, restarting InDesign, and resetting preferences did not fix the issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign 2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), we recommend you to update to this version.

Adobe InDesign team

17. Adding htmlItem then closing document crashes inDesign on Mac

We are developping a plugin for inDesign and while testing a new feature on a Mac we noticed that sometimes InDesign was crashing. We managed to reproduce this bug in a very simple indesign script that make inDesign crash 100% of the time and I'm looking for a way to get around this inDesign bug.

The crash occurs when we programatically add an htmlItem to a pageItem then close the document too quicky, It's only on Mac, doing that on windows works perfectly. The crash error seems to be a memory usage problem on inDesign's side.

Here is the script…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Indesign 2019 CC crash after relink document

Every time when I try to relink a document in Indesign 2019 CC, the program crashes. I already send several crash reports to Adobe, no respond.

Adobe could you please fix this bug asap? It is very annoying and I can not do my work properly this way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

20. storing files on desktop

Not an idea, but a problem...InDesign support is telling me that I need to store my customer's book (a catalog) on my desktop AND all the associated images...that's impossible...there are over 1300 images in this 180 page book.
    ID crashed three consecutive times today trying to open the book to change the dates which appear on the master pages...I'm using the most updated version of creative cloud in a windows 10 environment...
    Any ideas of how to fix this? InDesign seems like a very unstable software to have come from a premier (and premium) software company like Adobe.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base