Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Copy GREP styles from one Paragraph Style to another

Copy GREP Styles from one Paragraph Style to another

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. XML Import URL

Hello,
    it would be nice if there was an invocation of an xml-file by url. It's time for InDesign to look to the future.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. We need an automated process to create multiple documents with one template.

Imagine a process where Company1 creates an InDesign doc/template. They attach it to a customer account where that customer can upload a CSV file to populate the stories in that doc. Let's say 5 stories

If that CSV had 30 rows with the 5 stories in each row then the InCopy > InDesign functionality would create 30 unique documents with potentially unique content.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  InCopy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add additional interactive options to the buttons and forms panel

The buttons and forms panel (used for making interactive form elements for PDF) is missing several options that are available in Acrobat such as:
    * insert image button
    * insert date button
    * insert barcode button

There was a request to do this but it was marked FIXED and (in my humble opinion) is far from fixed - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20482882-more-options-when-creating-forms-via-indesign

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN keyboard keys maintain consistent position of page in the viewport

If I click the little Previous/Next Page buttons at bottom left of screen, I can cycle through pages, and the position of the page within the window stays the same throughout the process. This is great and very helpful when flipping through a book quickly.

But if hit PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN on the keyboard, it seems to SCROLL the document position up/down by some numerical value, with no regard to the position of the page being displayed.

It would be logical and helpful if PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN had exactly the same effect as the PREVIOUS/NEXT page…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. when adjusting the stroke weight with the up/down arrow, make the selections go from 1 pt, to .75, .5, etc.

right now, if i have a line selected, and use the stroke weight pales to reduce it, if i'm already 1 pt, and click the down arrow, it goes to zero pt. not helpful. it wold be great for it to go to the other increments in the list. i was kind of hoping it would be in the current version, but nah.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ability to name Grep-styles

Add the ability to name or grep-styles.
    Grep queries are not human friendly, and it can be hard to "read" and understand them. A option to label them would be great.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Unequal inset values in an Object Style don't display in a text frame if corners are rounded

If you use an object style with unequal inset spacing and apply it to a text frame, the unequal spacing is ignore and made uniform.

Steps to recreate:
    1. Create an Object Style
    2. Go to 'Text Frame General Options' for that style
    3. Set unequal values for 'Inset Spacing'
    4. Go to 'Stroke & Corner Cptions'
    5. In 'Corner Options' set 'Rounded'
    6. Create a Text Frame
    7. Fill Text Frame with placeholder text
    8. Apply Object Style to Text Frame

Result: unequal inset spacing is ignored.

If you apply unequal inset spacing manually there are no problems —…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Print miniatures (multiple pages) with definable scale rate and border style

1) Please add option to print miniatures with a definable scale rate
    2) Please allow to print multiple pages (with 100% actual size) on one sheet
    3) Please add printing option to apply something like an object style to the pages (e.g. border style, drop shadow)

These features would be great timesavers for internal discussions and external presentations during the whole design process.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Properties Panel - make it customisable

I'd like to be able to add things that I use often to it.

For example, with nothing selected, it has the options for the Document Layout.
    I would like to add to that to include

Export PDF - and select my proof settings

So in essence - I could add the options to export to
    Print Ready PDF
    Proof PDF
    Image file format

etc. - just to be able to add those things would make this panel even better.

There are other things I'd like to add to this property panel - but that's the general idea, and everyone…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Live link Microsoft word documents when placed in InDesign

When working with lots of teams and writers in our organisation. the constant issue we run into is only a select group of people have InDesign and the experience to operate the files. If there was a way when placing word documents were linked into InDesign, this would allow for a much more fluid workflow when there are a lot of edits.

I am sure there are many limitations to this, but finding some sort of solution could make a big difference to creating quality documents that will allow non indesign users access. InCopy is not a viable option in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. More error information when exporting to PDF

Problem Description: There are some times when exporting to a PDF, the dialogue box will show there is an error which results in no PDF being created. That is all the information we get and therefore have to guess what the problem is. Some more information would be useful.

When exporting an interactive PDF, I noticed that you get far more information when the PDF is being created.

If we had this information added to the Background Tasks when exporting a normal PDF, it would give us a clue what page is causing the problem.

I've attached a screenshot to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "Force quit" a background task

In all the years that we've had background tasks, I've almost never been able to cancel one successfully. Whenever a task hangs up for unknown reasons, and I hit cancel, it just hangs on the 'cancelling' step and the only way to stop it is to force-quit InDesign, which can equal lost work and damaged files.

I would like to see a more assertive way to force shut down of a background task that isn't cooperating.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Notification after background task completes

Sometimes background tasks can take a fair bit of time and we may switch to other things, take a phone call, go to lunch, meeting....If the Alerts panel was more about notifications, we would be able to know a bit more of what has happened with the task - if it completed, how long it took or even provide a link to view or email the exported PDF.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. DataMerge icons/images inline into text frames

Add the ability to put file paths for icons/images with text in a cell, so that the images are merged inline with the text in a text frame. For example "Here is some text and here's an @icon.ai" would merge the icon.ai file into the text.

I know a lot of people who do work on card games using DataMerge, and this is the single most frequent request I get.

Currently the way we get around this is by merging text with placeholders like "[icon]", then copying the icon to the clipboard and doing a find and replace [icon] with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color

Please add feature to select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color.

This has already been in Illustrator for quite awhile (to my knowledge). This would be good feature to have in InDesign also.

Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bigger preview in Import pdf panel

It is hard to see the PDF preview in the Import PDF panel.
    It would be great if you could choose the size of the thumbnail or adjust the size of the entire panel.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Insert special character — Unicode compliance

Unicode is required to meet accessibility standards and several forms of publishing technologies.

The keyboard shortcuts and right-click/opt-click Insert Special Characters shortcuts need to be updated to insert the Unicode versions of these glyphs.

The Unicode glyph charts are at www.Unicode.org

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Extended PDF export features

To add a custom preset feature where you could export a duplicate PDF with crop marks as well as a clean PDF all in one saving action. There is a lot of times in my line of work where we need both options (one for print and one for archiving) purposes. As of right now I have to export 2 files separately. Having a preset where I could just check the box when exporting would greatly save time and effort each time we go to export.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base