1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Adjacent Bordered Paragraphs to Share Their Border

It's great that Paragraph Borders are now included but it really needs an option to "Connect Border to Adjacent Paragraphs Sharing the Same Style" so that the border runs around multiple paragraphs if needed. I know you can work around this with forced line breaks and empty lines but that jars with me and doesn't give me proper style sheet control.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Closed: Fixed  ·  3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Custom stroke styles, that can be shared with Illustrator (and vice versa)

Stroke styles like those of Illustrator, where the library and styles can be created in either and shared between both programs

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shading for character styles

I love using the shading for whole paragraph styles, but it would be nice to have shading for character styles as well. This would be nice for "highlighter" effects, which you just want to highlight a few lines or words. Just like applying an underline or strikethrough, but with a little more control over color, padding, maybe even shape?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stylesheet Manager

A place to manage bulk style changes across paragraph, character, and object styles.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add cell width and heigth to table (or cell) styles

Very often I use tables in multiple pages taht need to have the same dimensions. Being able to do that in Styles would be priceless.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Table of contents created with character style

The ability to create a TOC using a character style would save me a lot of time.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Table of content – Styling improvement

1) Please make the TOC dialogue box scaleable: especially the include paragraph styles box is unmanageable (long names are not visible and after applying settings to a style it scrolls back to the top of the list)
    2) Please include option to strip or override character styles in TOC
    At the moment you need a lot of paragraph styles to set up the TOC, especially when having multicoloured headlines, both in document and TOC
    3) Please give text boxes an option "include in TOC" (helpful when having the same headline on several pages) and the option to enter alternate wording…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. External Paragraph Styles (to keep all documents in sync easily)

I would like to have external paragraph styles (and other styles too) so that they can apply to multiple documents and keep all documents using them in sync with the same set of styles.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. conditional GREP formatting

We need to add conditional GREP formatting. For eg. in screen 1 (yellow highlighted text) tagged in xml, and are able capture with GREP styling. But when we put condition, it also captures unwanted text in same GREP style (cyan highlighted), tagged with same xml tag. It would be great as conditional text, i.e.. "IF x=y then DO 'this'" OTHERWISE APPLY 'this style'.

If such option available in indesign, it would be a great help as we are doing frontend xml publishing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Paragraph Borders and Shading - Keep in Frame

I use a P Style for a Tip paragraph in my Quick Reference Cards (QRC). The Tip is typically one or two sentences, and has a light shading (light grey) with a top and bottom blue border. I use a similar style for Warnings, except I change the borders to red. Occasionally, the Tip/Warning falls at the top or bottom of a column, and the Border, and sometimes the Shading, lands outside the text frame.

Can we have a "Keep in Frame" for Borders and Shading, similar to the one for P Rules? David Blatner had a great workaround when…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add word and character spacing (justification) options to character styles

Allow the justification options within character styles.

Quite often I have different typefaces in one paragraph, which need individual values for the justification of word and/or character spacing. But I can only do the justification for a whole paragraph with exactly one font, ignoring all the other contained typefaces. This leads to word spaces, which are way too narrow or too wide in parts of a paragraph (see the top image). If I could adjust justification options in character styles as I can do in paragraph styles, the problem would be solved!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add ability to name Grep-styles

Add the ability to name or grep-styles.
    Grep queries are not human friendly, and it can be hard to "read" and understand them. A option to label them would be great.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Expand limitations for keyboard shortcuts assigned to character/paragraph styles

Right now, you can go in an assign keyboard shortcuts to character styles or paragraph styles only when used with a number pad.

For those of us on laptops predominantly, that means you are never able to assign shortcut keys for a character style. So instead of one set of keystrokes, you end up having to do extra clicks repeatedly when formatting copy.

Expand the ability to create shortcuts to a wider range of key combinations that are laptop friendly.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Searched styles in Quick Apply or Most used styles

Got a lot of styles. Paragraph, Character, etc. styles. The Quick Apply helps to quickly find the the ones i need. So it would be nice that the last (maybe 5) styles that i searched will be on top of that Quick Apply window.

Or create a new window, and put the most used styles in there.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bullets and numbering - background or box

When applying a character style in the bullets and numbering tab, all characteristics are applied except for underline/strikethrough options. I noticed that this has been mentioned several times over the years but has not been changed as of CC 12.0.0.81.

If this is impossible to fix, is it then perhaps possible to implement an option to add a background to bullets or numbering, similar to the paragraph rule, which allows for offset, indentation etc.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stroke styles

Allow us to create and name custom Stroke Styles. These would be in addition to Object Styles.

Stroke Styles could be used to specify a custom underline, strikethrough, or paragraph rule. Stroke Styles could also be applied to paths and called by Object Styles.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to apply object styles on document import.

We should have an option to apply object styles on import. There used to be a script that would do this but it isn't updated anymore. The ability to load a place brush and choose an object style for each page as i place them would be a tremendous time saving workflow for importing long documents. If we could somehow build that into "multi-page Importer" that would add pages to my document on import, too, it would be perfect.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Advanced Paragraph Shading Options

1. The ability to specify a specific measured width for paragraph shading in pica, inches or whatever is the standard unit for the document.
    2. The ability to extend shading through continuous paragraphs. (i.e. If two consecutive paragraphs have the same paragraph style (with shading) that there is no gap between the paragraphs. Currently you have to use offset to extend these.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Apply object style to a group

It would be nice if I could apply an object style to grouped objects. Especially useful when using only the position functions.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multiple paragraph/character style sheets

When selecting more than one paragraph of text that therefore uses multiple paragraph styles, instead of saying (mixed) at the top of the styles palette, it would be really helpful if it could highlight which actual paragraph styles were in use. 'Multiple' is of no use - I can see there are multile styles just by looking at it!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base