1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Story editor maximum line width

It would be great to have a maximum line width, perhaps a maximum number of characters per line, for the story editor (in both InDesign and InCopy).

This is most useful when writing when the story editor is docked on a large monitor. It seems to be best for readability to work with lines of 64 to 80 characters, and at the moment the text simply flows to the entire width of the window.

The current behaviour could be available by setting the maximum number of characters per line to 0, for example. Also, I envision that if there is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Galley view in InDesign

It would be great to have galley view in InDesign, like the one already available in InCopy. This provides a way to work with the many features of the story editor while seeing line breaks within the text as they appear in the layout.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Enable Find (from Find & Change) in checked in content (Incopy workflow)

Currently the Find feature does not work on content which is checked in in an Incopy workflow. It seems like an unnecessary technical restriction which hopefully could easily be changed. E.g. when you'd be on the phone with copywriter while that person is working on the content and you need to quickly find certain sections. Or you need to place an image next to a certain passage.

(I understand it can be activated by checking out all stories, but there are scenarios when this would be unpractical.)

I reckon it should be technically not challenging to implement, while logic to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InCopy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Select all hyperlinks including the nested ones

I wish for it to be possible to select all hyperlinks at once, including the nested (multiple) ones.
    We have a lot of multiple hyperlinks in our books which get nested in the hyperlinks window. Since the hyperlinks are mostly placed through scripts I need to check if the links are around the correct words (for exhample in in-text citations like Rowling, 1997 the 7 isn't part of the link). I check them by selecting all hyperlinks, editing them and giving them a visual border and then switching through the whole book with GREP.
    My problem is: If I try…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make OpenType SVG composed glyphs unbreakable

For now combined glyphs can be accidentally broken if they reach end of line.

For example, I add composed glyph 0x261d + 0x1f3fe (☝🏾) It is up pointing hand with skin tone modifier.

Applied EmojiOne font.

Now i start added dots before is (.........). When glyph reach end of text field, he will be PARTIALLY moved to next line. This moment it will be broken.

I understand why it happens, but this is unexpected behavior.

I think there should be an option in paragraph or character style, that makes glyphs unbreakable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to turn on/off Effects by checking box

Often times when using a preloaded Effect, such as drop shadow, gradient, etc., after creating you realize you don't like it or want to see what it looked like without the effect.

Rather than having to click back into the options panel to turn off the effect, it would be nice to be able to click the check mark and turn it off or on without going into the options menu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to disable corner rotation widget

Although the corner rotation widget is very practical, it gets in the way often, especially when working with smaller elements. Instead of resizing the item rotates.

Therefore I would like to plead for an option to turn this corner rotation widget off. This way scaling / resizing becomes available better, zooming in and out will be reduced which is more efficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Rename Hyperlink

Add the 'rename hyperlink' option to the 'edit hyperlink' window. I find it essential to identify hyperlinks by their names. But I often edit them. After I edit a link, and I want to rename it to better identify it, I have to open a new window just to rename it. This is quite inefficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to change standard font family (Minion) in the Find Font dialogue box

It would be wonderful if it would be possible to change the standard font family from Minion to something else. Either by setting up the standard font for new documents, or by adding a checkbox 'Set as default'. Another idea would be if ID simply would remember the last font selected in this dialogue.
    Also something isn't working right here. If you start typing the name of the font and hit Tab to jump to the style, it resets the font family back to Minion.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. A preference choice to disable the application of local formatting.

A preference choice to disable the application of local formatting. This setting would have fine tune control (similar to the eye dropper tool) to allow some local formatting, such as kerning.
    This feature would be ideal for templates as well as team based workflow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a “floating” option to anchor frames

It would be wonderful if InDesign could have a “floating” option for anchored frames the way that FrameMaker does: it allows one to define that, for example, an anchored frame would always be in the upper right corner of the page where the text flows that contains the anchor.
    As it is now, if text is added above, the anchored frame moves down with the text, and if it hits the bottom margin, then text wraps to the next page without filling the previous page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to freeze zoom so it always remains on "fit spread in window" even when searching

When working on a large monitor where facing pages easily fit and are still readable, it would be very handy to be able to “freeze” the current zoom so it is kept when searching. As it is now, when one goes through a document finding the next occurrence, the zoom keeps focusing on the found spot, but on a large screen it would be much more agreeable and less strenuous on the eyes if there were the option for the zoom to remain on "fit spread in window"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Replace the startup panel

PLease replace the awful startup panel that looks like someone had a mental breakdown, spilling derangement over the screen in gaudy black and violet.. unbelievable that anyone could imagine this would be attractive. Luckily I mostly don't see it as my computer opens before I arrive, but every time I do I feel I want to immediately quit the program.. and send a report to you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PDF Export Formatting Issue

I found that no matter what export options I use or how I format my file, it exports incorrectly. My content is in 2 columns on InDesign but when exported it seems pretty random how the PDF is structured (see the image).

This poses a problem for parsing software to be able to read the document in the correct order. It's common practice within most companies to use this for resumes. I'm sure it's also used elsewhere as well.

I've contacted support and they tried to resolve the issue by using my computer remotely. They found that this feature is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Duplicated style sheets should not override the original's keyboard shortcut

When you duplicate a text style that has a shortcut key assigned to it, the duplicated style keeps the shortcut key and the original style loses it (it gets greyed out).

What should happen is that the new style has no shortcut key assigned to it, and the existing one keeps it. I see no reason for the current behaviour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Wait until I've pressed OK in Step and Repeat before popping up the "Out of Bounds" warning

When using step and repeat, the first thing you enter is the Count. But the distance values are from the last transformation, so sometimes the value there and the Count you enter trigger the "out of bounds" warning when you press tab to exit the "Count" field and move on to the distances. Yes yes, I know, but I haven't had a chance to fill out the new distance yet.

So I then have to tab over to the distances, adjust those, and shift+tab back to the count. Why must I get a popup stopping me when I haven't actually…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Don't activate name field of a highlighted style on first click

Expected: I highlight several styles, click and drag them to the new position.
    Actual: I highlight several styles, click, but the click activates the name field of the style I have clicked on, meaning I can't drag them. I need to click again outside the name field to deselect the field, then drag them.

This could be fixed by changing the behaviour slightly: activate the name field if you click on the text, but don't activate it if you click the blank space to the right of the name (allowing you to drag the order around on the first click).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bigger Icons

I really wish that this software was more user-friendly. The icons should be bigger and clearly labeled. Like the buttons at the self-checkout at the grocery store.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. fitting content proportionally in a picture boxed

I have four picture boxes that are grouped and I want to be able to auto fit or fill content to frame proportionally.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Load multiple swatches

The lack of ability to load multiple swatches in one go in Indesign is frustrating. Having to do it one at a time is counter intuitive and time consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base