1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Place PDF comment text boxes into INDD as a text box

I have trained our marketing team to use the Acrobat commenting tools correctly so we can streamline our editing which is great now with the PDF import. However there are times when larger chunks of text are being added. They would draw a text box on the page with formatted text. It would be IDEAL if we could just click accept and the text box appeared in INDD. Then we can just format it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add rows to margins and columns dialogue

Within the Margins & Columns dialogue box, it would be very powerful to be able to add a series of rows as well. Basically, bringing the baseline grid within the margins that a user can create in this dialogue box. It can behave exactly as the columns do, only they show up horizontally along with the columns. It may also be necessary to have a checkbox for gutters, I could see a use-case for having gutters or not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Baseline Grid Grab and Drag

I would love to be able to grab the bottom-most visible like of the baseline grid and drag it to a hight of my choosing. All of the other lines in the baseline grid should move at their own rate as to keep the space between them equal at all times.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Graphic/Image Gallery

A gallery displaying all included graphics/ images. I use Adobe Bridge for this, but having it incorporated into InDesign would be snazzy.

The feature would be very handy, if one has to pull out and rearrange a large number of graphics, to just drag them out from and then back in to the spread. If they are placed out on the pasteboard, I often 'lose' them and have to scroll up and down to find where they are 'parked'.

I have had to drag all the graphics out

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Place function doesn't work on existing frame

I used to be able to select a frame and use the place function (cmd+P) to add an image to that frame. Now when placing images, it automatically creates a new frame.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Inadvertently dragging image frame contents instead of moving frame.

I am frequently inadvertently dragging the contents of an image frame (photograph) out of the frame, instead of moving the frame itself. This is even while the Select Tool is chosen.

It seems to matter whether the frame was previously selected and where in the frame you click/drag.

I would like this to only be possible with the Direct Selection Tool.
    Or at least, an option that can turn off this frustrating 'feature'.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Copy image number only for Adobe Stock Preview images.

Right-click adobe stock image in the link list and be able to select the image number only to search Adobe Stock for the image.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Smarter Link Finding

It would be great if InDesign used a bit of automated searching or AI to search for missing links. InDesign should be able to look for missing links and suggest them if a file with matching file name and metadata exists in the same folder, or set of folders as the working document. It would be fantastic if InDesign kept track of link metadata and automatically compared it to the OS-level indexing (like Spotlight) to automatically suggest the location of a missing link.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Placeholder Text Feature

Seeing as InDesign has interactive PDFs in mind giving us the ability to create forms easily and then export them as a PDF to open in Acrobat, I feel like a feature to inset placeholder text to fields shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

To clarify, I was hoping to find an option under the Buttons and Forms toolbox that allows us to check off a box for placeholder text so when someone types in the field the original text there is overwritten with the new content. Like a "W" for width and an "L" for length in field boxes…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Apply 2 Masters (spread) to a Single Page (tabloid)

There are currently no solutions that I am aware of to sync a Left and Right Master into a larger tabloid page size. This is different from simply using a parent relationship among several master pages. A larger page size (digital friendly) cannot be complied from smaller master pages (print friendly). The ability to apply multiple master pages or master page items as "zones" would probably be ideal as it would allow flexibility for more customization on different page sizes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Convert / Merge Spreads into Larger Tabloid Pages within InDesign

Many of us are using InDesign to output digital formats as well as print. The inability to convert spreads in large documents that involve things like complex tiered master page assignments and interactive elements between print friendly spreads and digital friendly tabloid page layouts is a major pain. A non-destructive way to move back and forth would dramatically simplify digital exports, and ensure a clean single large page digital presentation to the end user without hassling with software adjustments to view spreads correctly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow user to change default color of Ruler Guides

For those of us with color-blindness issues (and it's my belief that there's a lot more of us than you think...), there really needs to be a simple preference switch for the default Ruler Guide color to be changeable. It should be so simple to just go into Prefs & select the guide color we can actually see, then simply carry on working. But currently it's a complete ball-ache every time to have to go into 'Layout > Ruler Guides > Change color > Ok'. The current 'long-way-round' change guide color process is just an added frustration to every job!…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Double page / spread preview

I would appreciate a double page / spread preview for single page documents. That would allow me to work with single pages to achieve certain bleed needs (example: single printed menu card sheets that need bleed all around - but still show as double pages inside the menu book) while still being able to see the layout as a whole. That saves the time of sticking the pages together and separating them afterwards again.

This requests asks for a different approach, but I assume for the same purpose: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31305193-auto-speads-into-pages

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow for Custom location/settings of strokes on any shape.

Like in tables or text boxes, I would like to see the Rectangle tool (or polygon, or multi-sided pen tool creation) to be able to choose which side has a Stroke (colour &, thickness, etc).

I have a rectangle that I have cut one corner off of and want it to tuck into the corner of another rectangle. so I don't need the strokes to display for the bottom or side, but do for the top/ 45deg angle (right). Seems simple enough, but gets more when there are many sides to the shape... what's the limit you offer customization too?…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cover building tool

It would be great if InDesign had a tool for easily building covers. Something as simple as allowing variable column widths so that you could input the width of C1, C4,spine, and the width of the joins on either side!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Style de paragraphe > option d'enchainement

option d'enchainement solidaire avec le paragraphe suivant également serait efficace. J'aimerais pouvoir lier un titre au paragraphe texte qui le suit

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Custom Columns

When setting up margins and layout it would be great if the user could customize the width of individual columns. For instance I start a new document that's 8.5 x 11 with 2 columns and a gutter that's .25. At some point, either the initial document creation or after, it would be amazing to change the width of one of the columns and in so doing it adjust the width of the other column while keeping the gutter the same. This would help for much more dynamic, asymmetrical and feel visually more organized than simply bringing in rulers. Horizontal rows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Keyboard command for resizing content within a picture box

Quark allows one to resize an image within a picture box using key commands. Could this key command please be added to ID. It's wonderful: To resize a picture in 5% increments using keyboard shortcuts, press Command+Option+Shift+> (Mac OS) or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+> (Windows). To enlarge,and Command+Option+Shift+< (Mac OS) or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+< (Windows) to reduce.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Layer comps (Different View States)

I need to be able to easily export different view states of the same LARGE documents that get incremental updates, showing and hiding different layers and objects depending on who the exported file will be going to.

Having the option to use Layer Comps would allow for different view states to be enabled for each export.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add text wrapping feature to combo box for interactive pdf drop down boxes with statements/questions.

I am trying to create an interactive pdf interview guide for my company. We would like to have the possible questions they can ask in a drop down format to help ensure the same question isn't asked by multiple people. I need to be able to add more characters to the combo box, then I also need them to automatically text wrap so that the text isn't displayed as a tiny line of text that isn't readable. I think Excel allows you to create drop downs with sentences that will wrap text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base