2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

150 results found

1. Create Picture Index with Page numbers

I need to edit documents with hundreds of pages and I use Paragraph Styles to create automatic alphabetical indexes that will work has hyperlinks when I export do PDF.

Nevertheless, sometimes it's more practical to have a picture índex when working with product catalogues.
    It would be very usefull to have the Content collector tool to allow to create automatic hyperlinks to the page where I collected the pictures in order to create na automatic Picture Index with page numbers.

The attached file makes it easy to understand.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Index that can find grammatical cases

Making index of names, ID can´t find anything else than basic names, not genetives, like Hovi/Hovin. Find and replase you can find names by putting ̭ "any mark"-marks of the end of the name, Hovi⋀$. Could you make ID better by fixing this problem for we finnish grammar using users :)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make text variables/live captions breakable like normal text

We work a lot with pictures that get there captions from xmp meta data stored in the pictures.

There is a great feature in InDesign called textvariables/live captions ;) for this… BUT these variables don‘t wrap like normal text :(

Instead we have to convert the live captions to static text to get the proper text warp and in doing so losing our live link to the XMP meta data.

So please enhance this feature to a real feature and allow variables to wrap like normal text. Thanks!

527 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Editable hyperlinks in imported .icml files

Please let us edit hyperlinks in an imported .icml. We can edit paragraph/character styles as we wish since they are not counted as content. But the same applies for hyperlinks, or at least anchor text/pages hyperlinks.

As of now whenever you import an .icml with an anchor text hyperlink the destination disappears.
    Incopy is useful also for people that update multiple documents where only small parts of text differ while the rest is the same, but must be update anyway so you end up only editing one of the very long files instead of 15 and you're sure that you…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The ability to unlink footnote/endnotes from references, thus turning the footnote/endnotes into static notes.

As a designer who typesets thousands of pages of academic research annually, the ability to convert footnotes to endnotes and vice versa is a helpful addition (thanks InDesign team), but more features are needed:

The ability to unlink footnote/endnotes from references, thus turning the footnote/endnotes into static notes.

Currently this process is accomplished only via the benevolence and magic of Peter Kahrel's script, available here: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/end_to_static_CC2018.jsx

The reason being, I can no longer use the InDesign XML tagging feature while the footnote/endnotes remain linked—for some reason, XML tagging of footnote/endnote text is not supported!

If you'll indulge me, here's a…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Drop down menu mixed with replace feature for contacts/agreements

Inside of InDesign, I'd love a way to use the drop down menu feature that when you select an option inside of there it replaces that word with the newly selected word throughout a document. This would be great for contract/agreements, or any long documents.

For example the drop down menu could have "marketer", "consultant", "freelancer", etc. Then depending on which item you selected it would replace that word inside the document entirely!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. disable "live-update" of cross-references

we are working on large document (about 600 pages) with many cross-references (over 3000).
    This leads to a very slow performance and makes working with the document a real test of patience.
    It would be great to have an option to temporarily disable the "live-update" of the cross-references!

93 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When updating the cross-references in a book, InDesign crashes if it finds an unresolved cross reference

It would be helpful if, instead of crashing, InDesign would just let me know that there's a problem instead of crashing for no apparent reason!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Robust Indexing Software

We need a more robust indexing software for those of us in book publishing (nonfiction). Due to the finicky nature of having to manually find and enter every index entry, InDesign's indexing software is only plausible for simple indexes that are done infrequently. Because of this, my publishing company adopted a plug-in, Sonar Bookends, a long time ago. Sonar works quite well, but this has made our use of InCopy impossible, as Sonar Bookends was not designed to work with InCopy and is causing it to regularly crash. I don't see any reason why a robust indexing software that can…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Page number more accessible

Could you add a button to the Pages panel to insert the page number? It's the logical place for new users to look.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Continue footnotes numeration

Add the possibility to continue footnotes numeration over different stories. For example, continue footnotes numeration on different chapters of a book, where each chapter is one independent file.

157 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Managing Multiple Sets of Endnotes In a Document AND allowing Endnotes to refer to a separate INDD Document

Issue #1:
    Here's my first dilemma: I am building a book with several hundred pages. This book will be printed (won't be an eBook/iBook). I'm keeping each chapter as its own document that I will then collect together as a larger Book at the end. The last chapter will be just for all the book's endnotes. In previous versions of InDesign, I would import the Word document, delete the endnotes out of the "Chapter x" document, and pop them back into the "Endnotes chapter" without affecting the superscripts referencing the endnotes throughout the text. Easy. Now, in cc 2018 if…

99 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add features to draft legal briefs

Legal filings are just complicated, cross-linked books.

Lawyers have to follow court rules when typesetting appellate briefs.
    See e.g., http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/clerk/case_filing/rules/rules_home.html
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/filingandrules/rules_guidance.aspx

WordPerfect has a few useful features: see "Legal Toolbar" https://www.wordperfect.com/en/product/professional-edition/#features

You should add a feature to create a Table of Authorities (ToA). The ToA lists each authority cited along with every page on which it is cited. The ToA has different sections for different kinds of authorities, e.g., cases, statutes, etc.

The best way would be to have InDesign identify authorities/citations. Most lawyers follow the Bluebook. https://www.legalbluebook.com/default.aspx
    Others follow the RedBook or the MaroonBook.

Make selecting, dragging, and dropping…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add run-in footnotes

Add run-in footnotes, so multiple footnotes could be on the same line to save space (instead of every footnote starting on a new line)

143 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remove [All paragraph] from Cross-Reference

After the update Indesign to the latest version, there is an option for [All Paragraph] when creating a new cross-reference. This has led to a very slow performance when it tries to load all paragraph by default.

The alternative is having a "unchecked" option for user, perhaps?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Support Apple Pages file as original text file

I use Pages a lot, more than word, as pages support a lot of macOS native shortcut and I like to use them to quickly do my text editing, but word on the other hand has too many shortcut that doest follow the logic in macOS…

As a heavy Pages user, it would be a huge time saving option to be able to link my pages file into indesign the same way as word file does.

I like the idea of doing my text in a clean text editor like Pages, and linking it to InDesign to do the heavy…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please bring back mini bridge.

Mini bridge was a great feature. Using Bridge inside of Indesign saved a lot of time and frustration with messy images files from clients.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. pages counter in book panel

It would be useful to see total number of pages in a book.
    I could be displayed in the very bottom row of book panel, next to synchronize or save book icons (on the left).

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Multiple index

Support for multiple indices (Index of Subject, Index of Authors, Index of Passages, Index of pictures, index of tables).

That would greatly improve performance of work and cut a lot of time and get out books faster than before with higher accuracy!

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign Books Improvements

The Book Panel is still bare bones.

1. I want all the fly-out menu options for a book to be available with a secondary click/contextual menu.

2. I want label colors in the Book panel to mark the status of various documents/chapters.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base