2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

710 results found

1. Enable copy-paste of text / text frames without breaking cross references

Today, copying a text frame with cross references breaks them - including copying text with cross references. This is very problematic and very difficult to discover during editing - and the only solution is to create the cross reference manully again. Very cumbersome.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. add Latin dictionary

Include a Latin dictionary in InDesign's default dictionary. It would be nice not to have to tell InDesign to ignore every instance of various scientific terms, or Latin mottos, etc.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Fit text to frame

This is a very important feature for anyone doing desktop publishing and has to fit different variations of text into a predefined text frame size.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Replace all missing glyphs

Option in the find replace dialogue to replace all missing glyphs, not just swapping one glyph for another. As far as I know, you have to go one by one throughout a document. The find/replace Opentype feature (text tab hasn't worked for me either.)

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Option to globally reverse paragraph direction in a multipage document from left to right or right to left..

In a multipage document, a reverse layout option reverses only page layout and not each paragraph of the documents. It would be great if we have a globally reverse paragraph direction in a multipage document from left to right or right to left. This would help in translating left-right paragraph based language into right-left paragraph based languages. Also, it would save a lot of time on the InDesign user to flip each paragraph manually.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add a vertical type tool.

I'm a sign designer. I use AI and ID in tandem to output mass amounts of signs with variable copy (using data merge feature); such as unit IDs, where the numerals change. Sometimes the design of these include vertical type.

Not having a vertical type tool is crippling to my workflow, as I have to fumble my way through the type on a path option (which often doesn't space consistently, or do it manually.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Create the condition from a list of paragraphs/character styles

Ability to create the new condition form a list of paragraph style or character styles
    I would improve the ability to search on more than 1 paragraph/character style at once.

Sometimes you have to search more than one style – rather than go through each style at once, the ability to create a condition to select a range of styles would be useful.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make editing of hidden Conditional Texts easier

When working on texts with hidden conditional texts in it, I frequently have to do corrections inside the hidden texts either. It would be great, if hidden conditional text would be visible and editable e.g. in the story editor, without changing the visibility in the conditional text panel.

Or make it expandable in the story editor by clicking on the eye symbol ...

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. custom tracking/kerning display option (Preferences/Composition) could show varying degrees of shading

it seems to me that a previous version of ID had this feature: under Preferences/Composition, when "custom tracking/kerning" was selected, the paragraph shading was of different degrees (lighter to darker) depending on the tracking level selected

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please implement support for fast entry of Mac OS accented chars asap

Mac OSX now supports accents very cleanly and simply c/o press and hold briefly (a, e whatever) then your accent choices display as in the attached screengrab. This feature is supported in all Mac apps, email clients, etc etc ... even dare I type, MS Word v15.40 (171108). But not InDesign (yet ... as of 13.0.1). Very disappointing for a s/w vendor that is otherwise at leading edge of all things creative design / innovative UIs ...
    - rob d

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow customers to choose a default font when opening new documents.

our organization uses a style guide of fonts that does NOT include Minion Pro. We would like to be able to customize our new documents with our font of choice

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add option To Find/Change dialog box to search within notes and conditional text

I would like an option to search within notes and conditional text. In the Find/Change dialog box, there are options on what to search through: Document, Selection, Story, Include Master Pages, etc. There should also be options to search for text in hidden conditional text, as well as in Notes. Please see the attached mock-up User Interface changes for the Find/Change dialog box.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Procentual increasing of font size

When a text box has multiple text sizes and you want to increase all the sizes, it would be great to be able to do that with for example procentual increasing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pair Kerning

There are many occasions where a specific pair of letters do not kern properly, such as ". I would like to be able to select the pair of letters from a particular font that I want kerned throughout an InDesign document, and have them automatically kerned. I don't want to have to apply a style to each instance, or find and replace each instance.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. paste without formatting

Shortcuts: I am saddened that the paste commands have been changed around. Paste Without Formatting has lost its shortcut status and replaced with Paste In Place (in line with Illustrator); Paste Into has become Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V (previously Paste In Place). This might make sense to align with Illustrator but I use the Paste Without Formatting option a lot of the time. The previous Paste Into (Ctrl+Alt+V Windows, Ctrl+Option+V Mac) now appears to be free - could this be the new Paste Without Formatting?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Retain font styles when copying/pasting text from Photoshop to InDesign.

I prefer to mockup print projects in Photoshop (including text) because I have faster/better control when I want to edit images and previsualize the end result. Once I have my final layout I switch to InDesign and replace the text so it's not bitmapped before printing. It would be great if I could just copy and paste the text from Photoshop to InDesign and it would retain the font style (size, weight, color, tracking, leading, etc) rather than having to make all of those adjustments by hand. Currently copying/pasting font styles works between Photoshop and Illustrator, but not PS and…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please allow font size larger than 1296 pt

I often have to create large posters with a single 3-digit price and 1296pt font isn't cutting it. I have to outline and then enlarge which is a pain when changes need to be made but it i also cannot standardize this element with a style, master page or template. Same for illustrator.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Threaded Text in Tables

This feature will allow text threading via table cells to flow the text across the table.

This will personally help me because I need to colorize specific areas while keeping the text flow. A table is the only real place I can do this.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I want to be able to search for an empty cell in a table, and able to add the cell icon (square) in a search..

I want to be able search for the cell icon in a table or an empty cell.

Sometimes I have to search for empty cells in tables and replace them with an en dash to show that they are intentionally empty.

When you have over 70 tables in each book it would be really helpful to be able to search for an empty cell.

And sometimes I need to search for characters that appear all over the document but I only want to find the ones in a cell, so being able to specify that icon in a search would…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. More control with paragraph shading

I would like more control over the space insets in the paragraph shading options. When a long paragraph of text flow on to the next page there is no way to control the spacing above (padding) when we're in the middle of the paragraph and "clip to frame" is checked. It is possible to get away with it if the distance from the top-margin and the first baseline is sufficient, but most of the time I want more space. I think it would be better if the text was forced down to the second baseline if necessary. The end goal…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base