1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improving the various options of footnotes

In one of the latest versions of InDesign, endnotes have undergone a significant upgrade as they have become live endnotes than static endnotes. But unfortunately, the footnotes are left far behind.
    We really ask that you rewrite the footnote feature so that the following features are possible:
    1) Select all the footnotes at once (by Cmd + A or Ctrl + A)
    2) Option to split footnotes into a number of columns is different from the main text (not just span footnotes but complete control over the number of columns)
    3) Continuous footnotes in the same paragraph (run-in).
    4) Possibility…

293 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

66 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RTL support in Adobe Composer (not Adobe World-Ready Composer)

Adobe's Ready World Composer is designed to provide a solution for RTL languages, such as Hebrew and Arabic. But lots of InDesign features don't work at all. (OpenType by Frame, Flush Space, Optical Margin Aligment and more ...)
    Instead of fixing this composer, I suggest that the regular composer also will support RTL writing.

211 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add support for Case Transformation in GREP Change to field

GREP Case Transformations in "Change To"

Add support for case transformation in the replace patterns "Change to" for changing the case of the original text when using subpattern
    replacements.

\u Make the next character uppercase
    \U Make all following characters uppercase until reaching another case specifier (\u, \L, \l ) or \E
    \l Make the next character lowercase
    \L Make all following characters lowercase until reaching another case specifier (\u, \U, \l ) or \E
    \E End case transformation opened by \U or \L

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. XML structures and footnotes/endnotes

This is a point which was subject of lot of discussion since years in several forums. Even this uservoice mentions it (partly) sometime but obviously it hasn't been considered at all.
    In InDesign, a footnote can't contain xml structures.
    In InDesign, it is not possible to map an xml element to the footnote object.
    This is really weird, since:
    a) mapping XML element to an InDesign object is something exiting already for tables thanks to attribute aid:table. So why not having set an attribute aid:note, with values "footnote" and "endnote" and implementing this?
    b) footnotes and endnotes can contain by…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve hanging punctuation settings

Hanging punctuation can improve the typesetting. But sometimes it creates undesired effects. For instance hanging bullets look terrible. On the contrary, some characters are missing (see https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37832143-add-hanging-punctuation-for-chevrons)

Please add the option to modify the list of hanging characters and let users define their own value of this effect.

Affinity Publisher is a good example (see attached screenshot): users can define hanging punctuation value in % for any glyph, even for letters, this is very useful for headlines.

And please make the setting part of the Paragraph Style as recommended here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37880509-remove-story-panel-make-optical-alignment-a-parag – the Story panel does not make sense.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Equations and Citations and Bibliography Feautures

Bring the most desired features such as Equations and Citations and Bibliography fields as in Word. Currently I am writing my dessertation and I have to insert my reference list the hard way and I can't even type my mathematical equations as it should be typed.

InDesign CC doesn't bring features for that (so that I don't have to rewrite references each time I need) neither to insert mathematical equation as in Word. WORD DOES IT BETTER!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove first line indent after a heading

We need an option to set First Line Indent to zero when a paragraph follows a heading.

For example, perhaps you have Head1, Head2, and BodyText. Head2 is based on Head1. BodyText has a first line indent. My suggestion is that InDesign should have a checkbox labeled "Set first line indent to zero when following:" and then provide a list of paragraph styles in the document.

You could either allow people to choose Head1 AND Head2 (multiple selection list), or you could allow them to choose Head1 and it would automatically apply to Head2 because that is based on Head1.

75 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Better justification using OpenType Variable Font width axis

Please improve the justification options in InDesign. Variable font width axis could significantly contribute to better text justification – see the attached example.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Toggle between Text Tool and Selection Tool

I am guessing most users' experience is like mine: I am constantly going back and forth between the Text tool (working within a text block) and the Selection tool (to select/move a text block handle, or reach for something else). It's something I do dozens of times an hour during a work session. Pagemaker used to have a toggle between these two tools, which was easily accessible to the non-mousing hand: Command-Spacebar. I would urge the development of this toggle in future InDesign releases.

I know you can activate the Selection tool with the Escape key, but that's a long…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you have the Text Tool selected & working inside a Text Frame (cursor blinking inside the text frame), you can hold down the Cmd key. When you do that, you will immediately see the 9-points of the text frame getting highlighted, letting you Move the Text Frame by holding down on the edges with the mouse. You can resize using of the 9-points as well.
    Hope this helps. See the attached demo.

10. Add real Next Page Number / Previous Page Number

At present, Next Page Number and Previous Page Number actually means Next Text Frame Page Number / Previous Text Frame Page Number. It is very confusing. I suggest to add real Next Page Number / Previous Page Number which would add – surprise! – next page number and previous page number to the text.
    It would be very helpful, in situations you want to have page numbers only at one page of a spread (10/11, 12–13 etc). At the moment, there is only a stupid and slow workaround with linked text frames, which does not work in every situations.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add track changes also to foot notes

If you use track changes its a problem that texts in foot notes aren't tracked.
    Some type of documents (like financial documents) need trail of changes. Its even a legal request in some cases. So if you depend on the track changes function its a big problem that foot notes aren't tracked. Used to be the same with tables long time ago but that one is now tracked since many versions back...

Seems like other also asked about this.
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/incopy/feature-request-track-changes-in-footnotes-incopy-indesign/td-p/10075549?page=1

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/track-change-not-working-in-footnotes-bug/td-p/9389029?page=1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Variable font slider window

Please enable the variable font slider options to be popped out into their own separate window instead of having to click the icon every time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Find/Replace working with number series

I am working with a document containing thousands of serial numbers. I want to insert a hyphen i the middle of each number using "find and replace"

The challenge is to replace all serial numbers in the document that look like this: Mxxxxxxxxxx with this Mxxxx-xxxxxx

Using find/replace with jokers, i am able to find all serial numbers that i want to change. M^9^9^9^9 but when i want to replace them and insert a – by typing this, M^9^9^9^9–, the old numbers disappear.

It results in the following example:
    M6015803710 ––> M^9^9^9^9-803710
    Instead of:
    M6015803710 ––> M6015-803710

Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for language based typographic rules

Each language has its own set of traditional rules related to hyphens, dashes, quotation marks, punctuation, hyphenation, spaces etc. Most of the rules are pretty simple and it is very easy to apply them using a list of search-replace sequences.

To significantly improve the quality of typesetting, Adobe should provide users a tool to clean up texts (remove additional spaces for instance) and create output matching the style guides and orthographic rules.

The rules should be defined for each language and/or region. There are different quotation marks in German used in Germany or in Switzerland; in French used in France…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable relative searches, e.g. 'point size more than 10 pts' or 'space before less than 6 pts'

You can use the Find Text and Find Grep features to look for certain constant values, e.g 'point size 12 pts', 'tracking 75', 'space before 6 pts'.

But it's not possible to search for relative values, e.g. 'point size less than 12pts'. And it's not possible to do negative, e.g. search for certain text in paragraphs that do not have a certain paragraph style applied.

These features would make it much easier to find text with missing or incorrectly applied formatting, and generally would mean that the search scope can be specified more flexibly, which in turn means that InDesign's…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The possibility to add a shortcut to "None" under Text format

It would be so beneficial to be able to remove any text formatting via shortcut, when all the others text formats are accessible via shortcuts already.

Use these shortcuts all the time, but every time I need to remove a format, I have to avert from the usual workflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add Alert When Missing Fonts are Replaced with Enabled Adobe Fonts

When working in a packaged file workflow, where Adobe Fonts are not and cannot used, if there is a missing font that a user might already have enabled in Adobe Fonts, InDesign makes a font replacement with no warning.

There is an alert to activate missing fonts, but no warning if missing fonts are already activated in the user's system. I’m not sure if you could limit this to: If there is a Document fonts folder present, then there should be an alert before fonts are replaced with Adobe Font versions. This should not effect if fonts are enabled in…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. smart tabs

Suppose I have a document with a table laid out in it. I don't want to use a table, instead I go to a tabbed list so I can save some space. What I would want is the option to left justify the first column, right justify the last column, and distribute the other columns so that each tab has the exact same width in that row without having to manually space them out.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please add Georgian Language Dictionary to Indesign.

There are many ardent Indesign users from Georgia and as yet there is no official Indesign dictionary. Peolpe manually creates extension files for the dictionary, writes them and also adds the Info.plist file to make it work somehow. I've done it on Windows too and it works, but it kind of doesn't work for Big Sur on mac and Indesign version 16. It will be best if you help design the Georgian language as well. If you'd like, I can send you some ready-made dictionary and spelling files for the Georgian language that I created myself for you to check…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. There are Variables (Chapter number etc) keyboard shortcut options.

All of the text variables are missing from the keyboard shortcuts option. It would be helpful to have more options for creating shortcuts..

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base