1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Transparency/opacity settings for paragraph shading

It would be nice to have transparency/opacity settings for paragraph shading. In certain designs, it would be nice if paragraph shading worked a lot like a frame fill that you can control the transparency and blending options for the shading portion. This would be applicable to borders as well. Right now, to get the semblance of semi-transparency, you have to apply it to the whole frame, but you may just want the shading and no other elements to be affected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fixed Spaces Automatically set as Nonbreaking

It would be helpful if fixed spaces were not automatically treated as non-breaking. I often use fixed spaces to finesse typographic issues—like a lowercase "f" crashing into an uppercase letter that follows it (e.g., "if I"), which seems to happen a lot, even in reputable fonts. I don't however, necessarily want InDesign to prevent a line break after the fixed space.

Ideally, we would be able to have breaking and nonbreaking versions of all of the fixed spaces, but perhaps it wouldn't be very useful for hair or thin spaces. Ems, ens, thirds, fourths, and sixths, however....

Thanks for considering…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow horizontal cursor position value to be copied

The Paragraph Formatting Controls show the Horizontal Cursor Position. It contains a numerical value, but it cannot be selected for copying.

I frequently use an "Indent to Here" character after an open quotation mark. But if I need to break a quotation into multiple paragraphs and quickly align the paragraphs to the position of the "Indent to Here" character, I need to manually enter the horizontal cursor position value into the Left Indent value.

It would be helpful to be able to copy the value of the horizontal cursor position, so I could paste it into the Left Indent value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Automated Language detection

Please consider a automatic intelligence, which could automatically detect the languages used in a document.

In nearly all texts I’m typesetting for journals and specialized books, there are parts of foreign languages inside the text (quotes, citations, ...). It would be genious, if InDesign could automatically search, find, and mark those bits of foreign languages, and change the language mode for those bits, so that the correct hyphenation will be applied.

In combination with the ability to unlimit the number of character styles, that can be applied to character or text, that would be a very powerful feature.

Teach Adobe…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option to disable missing-font notification

Please add an option in the preferences that enables the user to ignore missing fonts when opening a document. It's possible to disable notification of missing images -- please do the same for fonts.

Reason: I often get documents from customers and don't have the fonts. Dismissing the dialogs that tell me that the document I'm opening contains missing fonts gets tedious. I easily dismiss the dialogs dozens and dozens of times.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Show Cross-References

Under Type menu, have option to show cross-references, or have a way to show that something is a cross reference when showing "hidden" characters.

Currently after creating a cross-reference, it is very easy to lose it by typing over the text because nothing differentiates the cross-referenced text from regular text in paragraph.

Would also be cool if there were some sort of control feature as in "indexing" so that you could see all the cross-references that have been created. Very helpful in long documents.

Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make it possible to tell in a globel setting when there has been used a specific font and that font is changed to another font so you don`t

Make it possible to tell in a globel setting when there has been used a specific font and that font is changed to another font so you don`t need to change font on every document you open that have used that font

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can we have columns option in Paragraph styles

can we have columns option in paragraph style, as i will save lots of text boxes to be created in a file, and user can type in only 1 Text box per page, rather then making text boxes for every single line. like i have 50,000 name labels to print, and i want each name to start from right and the next name should come exactly parallel on the left side in another column. and then it should go again to another column on the right side. I saw a post earlier regarding this ... but that user only had…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

112 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Inserting Bullets of users choice

Can i insert bullets of my choice, like alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo ... and so on.. or some thing in text? or can i pull up bullets from any readable file? like some txt file or any indd file?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. MacBook Pro Special Characters

When using the newer MacBook Pro series, we are able to use special characters like e-diaeresis by simply holding our 'E' button and there will pop up a menu where we can then choose to select the preferable character.

Would love to see this! I have added an screenshot for clarification.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Include possibility to switch writing direction for Hebrew and Arabic in all language versions, not just the ME one.

I am using the Swedish version of InDesign CC and sometimes need to be able to write in Hebrew. But the possibility to change writing direction is only available in the Middle Eastern version, which changes all menus and panels into English. I want to be able to keep all menus and panels in Swedish, but still be able to switch writing direction for Hebrew (and Arabic). I suggest that you include this possibility in all language versions, not just the ME one, so that the original local language can still be used in the user interface.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Integration for Bengali (Bangladesh) Hunspell spellchecker

For years I've been using my own Bengali (Bangladesh) hunspell spellchecking dictionary in InDesign, and I wish it was just integrated into the software. I'm the author of it and I'd be happy to provide it to InDesign. But alongside this it would be nice if the process of adding new hunspell dictionaries was easier, if it didn't need to be redone after every update; and currently it doesn't even work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How to Set up Family Sharing on iPhone and iPad

Family Sharing is an outstanding iOS feature that allows users to share their iCloud storage plans, photos, location, App Store purchases, etc. with their family members without sharing their accounts with them. So, if you also want to use this fantastic feature of iOS, then here’s how you can do this.

How to Set up Family Sharing on iPhone and iPad?

Following are the steps that you can follow to set up Family Sharing on your iPhone and iPad:

Navigate to your iPhone/iPad settings app and open it.
    Next, click on your Apple ID account, which is located at the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Show error when paragraph composer cannot render lines

All too often, I run into text that doesn't render because of some feature of the text (unsure of all cases, but examples are words that exceed the line length, common in some languages and in URLs). I have a stable of techniques for dealing with these issues, but most usually I'm poking around in the dark: the lines I'm trying to fix are not visible in InDesign; I don't know what exactly is offensive (e.g., Chinese lines were usually things work, but sometimes they don't); and the offending text might have gremlins from the source text that are not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it possible to lock down or freeze all kinds of text wraps made by detect edges

It would be great if there was a way to “freeze” all kinds of text wrap made by detecting edges in a document, or in other words to make them static, so they stop changing with the image. If the designer uses the final image, everything is fine. The problems arise when a print service provider has to make adjustments to the images prior to printing, such as changing color profiles, converting or correcting colors, downsampling, or replacing the designer’s lores versions with hires. Even the slightest changes will often make the text reflow, and this is very troublesome to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keep wth Next able to keep with more than 5 lines

The ‘Keep with Next’ feature is very useful, but why is it limited to 5 lines. A max of ten would be far more useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Scaling with conditional text

When scaling a text box allow all hidden conditional text to scale. As of now only the visible text scales. This is extremely inconvenient when working with a lot of conditional text,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. shortcut for paragraph single-line composer

I use single-line composer all the time, to control text into spaces. But every time I have to manually change a paragraph in the paragraph window, dropdown, select.... I'd love a shortcut for this (have tried allocating one but can't)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. non-breaking en and em spaces that can be used when using language codes before text.

Please add non-breaking en and em spaces that can be used when using language codes before text, e.g. en (English text) / fr (French text)...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base