When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I'd like a feature like the Format Painter in MS Word.

I inherited a ton of files from someone who apparently did not like to set up styles. If an edit comes in, and, for example, I have to add a new subhead, I have to go back and look at all the formatting of the subheads to create a new one, then make all those same choices, since there's no style sheet created. Would be great to just click on one of the existing subheads, click on a format painter icon, and click on the new type for the new type to take on the format of the existing type.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. freeze hyphenation, like XPress earlier

10 Years ago. with Xpress 4.0, there was the option to freeze hyphenation.
    After you send a Version to the client, you can freeze the hyphenation and after that, only manually hyphenation and line breaks are common.
    Reason: Client wants other hyphenations or line breaks, after he becomes the next version, there are more new hyphenations followed by the next correction. And finaly, you have broken every line manually.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a conditional text checkbox in eyedropper settings

As in topic. It would be much easier to allow condition to be applied with eyedropper tool

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add a "Dropword" feature

A “dropword” is like a drop cap, but instead of making one or more characters large, it makes a space for the letter or word, but leaves the word a normal size:
    https://indesignsecrets.com/creating-dropwords-indesign.php

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Delete unused-variables

Unfortunately the UI- and the Handling of variables is quiet different to all other menues and function in InDesign. And so theres still no way to delete "unused" variables.

While handling an document over several years - e.g. a typical product-catalog or price list - the variables-list grows from year to year as there are every year new products which need a variable. After some years it is not practical to have a list with 500 variables but only 100 are used.
    It would be very appreciated if the complete handling of variables could be like in all other menues.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option-Click to indent both sides of a paragraph

When using cursor to click on the up/down arrows in the paragraph palette to increase or decrease indent, hold the option key to indent both sides. (Option key is common to constraining reshape to both sides of an object.)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Track changes for anchored stories automatically

When you turn on Track Changes for a story, you have to remember to also click inside any/all anchored stories and turn on Track Changes individually for them as well. I think it's a given that when you're tracking changes to a story, you want to track changes to all "child" stories as well. This should happen by default.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Prevent fonts from becoming bitmap when copied into InDesign or Illustrator

Why does a font in InDesign become bitmapped when copied into Illustrator; or the other way around - Illustrator into InDesign?

In Illustrator, why is there no keyboard command for FIND AND REPLACE as there are in other Adobe applications.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Highlight changes

When 'undo' or 'redo' is clicked, go to that page and highlight what just changed, that way you won't have to hunt for it..

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Trim dimension text variable

Client: “THIS IS THE WRONG SIZE!”

Designer: “But I put the trim dimension text variable in the slug area! Oh, right. There is no trim dimension text variable.”

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hiding system fonts or warning about using them

Add system fonts in the unauthorized fonts of the preflight panel.
    I work in the IT department of a press group; our users work on Mac, but we use a Windows InDesign Server solution to process PDF’s. Our users are warned that they should use only OTF fonts but some of them ignore these warnings.

The other solution would be to be able to hide system fonts in the font dropdown menu.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide 'Indent to here' (~/^i) as a 'Text After' option in the Bullets and Numbering dialog

The ability to add 'Indent to here' as an option in 'Text After' bullets or numbering in the dialog box would be a time-saver so it's automatically inserted after them, rather than having to Grep it or do it to the necessary lines, individually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Symbol for automatic hyphen in Find/Change

It would be great, if we could search for words, that are hyphenated automatically at a specific position (I do not mean discretionary hyphens, but those, created automatically from InDesign’s hyphenation module). Therefore a special search character would be useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow manual reordering of Conditions

In all the other panel, we have the ability to sort by name, and arrange the items within groups. But the Conditional Text Panel sorts exclusively alphanumerically.

I would like a way to sort Conditions manually, and to group them into parent-child relationships. Like this: https://indesignsecrets.com/finally-conditional-text.php

I also like how InDesign allows us to highlight pages, so we can view them more easily. I want the same feature for Conditional text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Mimic Text Box

For Example: If you have a list of people and you create a text box for each person that has a number in the text box.

Further in the document you would have a map that also has the numbers showing which person is situated where.

What would be very helpful is to have those 2 numbers (1 and 1, 2 and 2, etc.) be able to auto update the other.

So when someone is removed from the list, the person numbered 10 originally now becomes 9, which also auto updates on the map

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Typographer's Quotes Override

For some users, straight quotes and apostrophes are the bane of our existence. The Use Typographer's Quotes checkbox is in Preferences>Type is (strangely) document-dependent and may switch off if you have a document open that originated on another machine.
    It's rather annoying to have to keep popping back into Preferences. Is there a possibility we could have an option to have it ALWAYS enabled, so that it overrides individual document settings?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. GREP 'soft' Find and Replace

I'd like to be able to use GREP to search for a particular string (in a particular style) and then hide it and replace it with a different string with a selected style.

This would allow me to replace, for example, the company's name written in full with the company's logo (which is a single character in a special font) without destroying the text. It could also allow me to replace the words for 'wheelchair access' with the icon etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Object corner effect

When I insert a spacing on a text box using Text Fram Options Panel I lose all my custom spacing once I apply a corner effect.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. letter outlines

With the new update 2019 I can't make correct letteroutlines anymore. We need it a lot so please let me know how you can fix it. Thanks a lot!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base