ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text
Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and found a bug which makes the program unusable forcing me to immediately downgrade.
When I open on of my ID documents created in previous version of ID, all of my defined text variables as well as page numbers are corrupted and replaced by the "ss" text. Changing the style has no effect. I can create page number based on the 'Basic Paragraph' style but when i choose any other previously created style, the number changes to 'ss'.
Even the variable field preview shows 'ss' text instead of variable name.
The same document opens in ID 2020 15.0.3 without any problems.
The fix is now publicly available in the latest InDesign update, 15.1.1
Please update to this latest version to get the fix.
Adobe InDesign team
Paul Nylander commented
Paul Nylander commented
I just updated the Indesign to the new June 2020 update.
did anyone else had problems with the page numbering?
It is now just Showing "ss" instead of the numbers.
wow - if this is a new bug from the update that will upset my whole system
Same bug: All page numbers are SS!
Same problem. This needs to be fixed.
Alessio Camponeschi commented
Hi Paolo, I'm Italian too. I have the same issue on the Mac Pro (Os 10.14.6) however on macbook pro (same Os) it's ok. Have you got some third part plug-in like Suitcase auto activation or similar?
Wydawnictwo UNUM commented
The problem with "ss" string concerns also footnote numbers both in text and in footnotes area.
William Overbeeke commented
Upgraded to 15.1 and had the same problem. I'm going back to 15.0.3 until this issue is fixed! I use the English/Arabic version of InDesign because sometimes we typeset Right to Left languages like Hebrew, so changing the composer is not a solution for us.
Raphaël Freeman commented
obviously if you are working with documents with Hebrew or Arabic, then changing the composer isn’t a solution.
Gregor Fellenz commented
A little helper/Bugfix Skript can be found here: Change World Ready Composer to Standard Composer for Textvariables https://cloud.publishingx.de/s/tf7RAQ3Gywiomae
Uwe Laubender commented
after some tests I did with all six available paragraph composers and one text variable I can see the bug with:
Adobe World-Ready Single-line Composer
Adobe World-Ready Composer
Adobe Single-line Composer
Adobe Paragraph Composer
Adobe Japanese Single-line Composer
Adobe Japanese Paragraph Composer
And this without opening an old InDesign document.
All tests done directly with a new document in InDesign 18.104.22.168.
Tested text variable: The auto page number everyone is using for displaying the current page number or page name.
( ACP )
Changed to from World to Paragraph composer and problem persists
Its the composer https://twitter.com/grefel/status/1272870022843637760
I have same issue with page numbering and note numberig
Same problem here, although changing the composer to "adobe paragraph" seems to be correcting the issue for the specific document. This is however very inconvenient while working in production.
Hi! Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and page numbering does not work on my previous files: all page numbers (automatic text) are substituted by "ss".
Sorry for my bad English!
Paolo - Italy
Wim Vanhamme commented
I confirm the problem occurs with the "World Ready Composter". With Adobe Paragraph Composer it works fine.
I'm having the same problem, changing the composer did not solved it.
I have the same problem. If I choose World ready composer the bug appears. If I choose Adobe composer, it's OK. If I choose Simple line composer, it's OK.
Hello. The only solution is to change the paragraf to Adobe Single Line or Adobe Paragraf Composer.
Dear InDesign Team, we can't do that to thousands of old documents. Please fix this and return it as before.