Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Find/change: Search popup—not all options show

Many times, I have gone to the Find/Change dialog box and not seen any options in the Search popup other than "All Documents or "Document."

"Story," "End of Story," etc. are missing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

4. links panel problems

So many problems with Links Panel after recent update:

1) Right click on PSD asset, EDIT ORIGINAL now doesn't work - "No editor associated with this link"
    2) Right click on AI asset > Edit with Photoshop, opens in Illustrator

Win10 / Ryzen 7 / 32BG RAM / NVMe + SSD Drives

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Variables not updating

1. InDesign CC 2018 (though I have experienced this same problem over several versions)

2. Random bug, so I can't really say what steps are required

3. Variables should update to the data referenced by the variable

4. The word "Variable" is substituted for the data

5. Screen shot attached.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Anchored frame looses the XML tag information as soon as anchor is released/anchor point is moved forward.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create an anchored text/graphic frame with some inline text/image. Tag the frame with some XML Tag (say 'tag1').

2. Now release the anchor.

Expected output
    - On releasing the anchor, there should be no changes in the XML tag on frame.

Actual output
    - On releasing the anchor, the frame gets untagged.

Additional note: Similar thing happens when anchor is moved forward to another position in inline text. In this case also, frames gets untagged

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Links from CC Library suddely missing and can't be relinked

I sometimes have a problem with links from the CC Libraries, the links work fine when I save and close the file. But then sometimes when I open the INDD-file the day after it says that the links are missing, and when I try to relink it just say that "Either the file doesn't excist, you do not have read permissions to it or the file is used in another application".

But none of the options in the dialog box are correct, the files in the library still works fine in other documents. I have no idea how to fix…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Crash when exporting

Every time I try to export my document to a PDF InDesign 12.1 crashes. I've quit and restarted the software, and restarted my computer. I have no pending updates. I'm not sure why the program crashes every time I try to export. I've tried to go around the issue by packaging the file, exporting directly to PDF, or getting a PDF from a "print" operation, but nothing seems to work. It crashes every time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1

Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1
    App is OK after restart. Once working on the document for 10 min the navigation around the document and any command request, ie duplicate a image slows down and becomes sluggish until app is restarted once more.
    Im working on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.
    (Display performance at "Typical Displace)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. background issue PDF

I can not export a DPF file from my InDesign file. I keep getting the message that a background issues has occurred and the PDF can not be saved. HELP!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

12. text outside of text frame

Text suddenly appears outside of frame. This happened on two different pages. In one instance, the number (which is the result of a numbered list) did not appear at all, but it had been previously there, and in other instances, the number appeared outside of the text frame. There were no overrides on the style. This suddenly happened. If i placed my cursor and started typing where the number should have been (and was with all other numbered bullets), then the disappearing number reappeared in the one case, and, in the others, the number moved back into the text frame.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Page wont show in page panel

There are some pages that are created from before. They even have a master applied on them but the page panel wont show all my pages. I can not select them or move them. Please help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Outside aligned strokes are buggy

After outlining text, putting an outside or inside stroke on it produces odd results. It seems it aligns to the absolute outside of the object, rather than the edges like it does in other Adobe programs. I've attached an example of what adding an outside stroke to an outlined 'e' looks like in both Indesign and Ilustrator looks like. This seems to effect any object that has a section cut out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Spanning columns crashes program

Working with span columns with large documents creates a bug invested document. I'm working on a document now that crashes everytime I make any change to it. So much for professional program.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

16. Object Layer Options not working using Photoshop files

I've placed the same layered photoshop files into ID three times to show how an animation works. Going to 'Object Layer Options' and clicking 'Keep Visibility Layer Overrides' is meant to keep your selected layers visible, even if the Photoshop is resaved. This no longer works. Once the link updates, all three update to look the same and forget which layers i've told it to show. Why?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Paragraph shading disappears when printing to postscript

We are using InDesign CC 2017. When we have paragraph shading applied in a paragraph style sometimes the shading will disappear in the PDF when printing to postscript. Strange enough, this is not (always) the case for the entire paragraph or all the paragraphs with that style. But just a part of the text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time.

Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time. Copying text from inside of a box or copying a single object doesn't seem to cause the crash to happen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base