Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. drop shadow issues

Hello!

I'm trying to do an A3 poster with two layers:
    Layer one: A rectangle a white-black gradient fill and some line option and drop shadow applied.
    Layer two: Some text frames with white text with black strokes.

When I add drop shadow to the text it looks just as intended on screen.

But when I print it out on a big, expensive Samsung X7600 Series printer, I get a kind of gradient color in bottom of text frames. As if I had applied some color to the frame.
    (Please see the attached file "indd cc print screen".)

I have…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Endnotes in epub2 don't work when using split document by paragraph style

After exporting to a reflowable epub 2.0.1, endnotes don't work when you have selected to split the epub using paragraph styles based on export label.

Thanks in advance
    Gert

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Merge - Can't preview without errors

The apparently long-running Data Merge previewing error!
    Occasionally previewing a data merge will permanently ruin exports. The only solution is to create a new document. Happened to me on almost every project I tried - wasted hours and hours.
    See this thread and video for more information:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10337647#10337647

(Also colons in csv titles makes file unusable??)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ICML export doesn't include <HyperlinkPageDestination> elements

(Affects all versions of InDesign that support ICML export)

Export the story in the attached document to ICML. Delete the story in InDesign and then re-import the ICML. The Hyperlinks panel shows "The referenced paragraph or text anchor is missing".

This is only a problem for the ICML export of internal links. Hyperlinks to pages in external documents are exported correctly. The information is also correctly stored when saved to IDML.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Curves from Illustrator are straight lines in InDesign but fine when exported to PDF

I have a graphic that I've created in Illustrator that one of the curves displays as straight lines when viewed in InDesign. Export it to PDF and it displays as it should. The grey circle that this element sits on renders correctly in both. We have had this on files in the past. Any ideas?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Creative Cloud

I have Creative Cloud installed, but can't use it from within InDesign- the panel window says I don't have it installed. This is a bug. I voted when somebody else reported it, but it isn't fixed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When creating a EPUB with jpeg images there is always a .PNG file

When creating a EPUB with jpg images there is always a large .png file in the EPUB (it this is not an image). Publish Drive is refusing my EPUB because of this .PNG file.
    Please help

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Master Page

Master Page not reflected on some document pages. Adobe InDesign CC 2018. Workaround was to change the affected document pages to another master page, then change back to the original master page. The document pages then refreshed to the expected result.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

9. For some reason Indesign is still painstakingly slow...

The slightest movements take FOREVER!!!!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

10. Publish Online Dashboard empty

My Publish Online Dashboard doesn't show any of my publications (the section "Document Trends" remains totally empy after I publish or update a document. Though I manage to push the documents online and the share-link URLs do work.

Thx in advance for your concern

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.

2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.

3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.

4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in InDesign’s latest version, id 14.0.3.
    Please update your InDesign to try out the fix.

Note:
    If you open a file which already has this issue, in the new version, you may continue to see the issue.
    To resolve such cases, you may SAVE AS the file or do a force text re-composition as the workaround

However, all the new files created in the new version will not have this issue anymore.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

12. cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

May 16, 1028

I am using macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4 which I updated a few days ago.

I was/am using the InDesign CC 2018 version 13.1.

I got/am still getting the same error, after uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign.

1. New document in inDesign CC 2018.

2. Letter size w/bleeding edges.

3. Selected the document.

4. Did a CMD+D and selected my .psd file, which was created on April 26, 2018.

Result: Error
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested information.

Thank you in advance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Multiple variables in a TOC

While having headlines with zwo or more variables in the document, the TOC will be horrible wrong - it looks like a variable-puzzle.

This mistake destroys any dream of creating efficiently catalogues and users are forced to use any kind of dirty-trick or handle on very expensive way a "handmade-process".

This Bug is known since CS5.x.
    So please: Repair this Bug - now!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

14. Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

15. Table cells tagged as form fields do not get tagged when using the Articles panel in an accessible PDF file.

If you convert a table cell to a graphic cell and then make it an interactive form field, if you use the Articles panel to control the order, the form fields do not get tagged.

1.) Create a table
    2.) Select a cell and choose Table > Convert to Graphic Cell
    3.) Open the articles panel and drag the frame containing the table to the Articles panel to create a new article.
    4.) Enable "Use for Reading order in tagged PDF" from the Articles panel menu.
    5.) Export to interactive PDF with tags enabled.

Result: If you open the PDF…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Extension option missing

Extension option is missing in Window menu. So, i can't the see my added extensions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Applying a paragraph style causes text to appear duplicated on screen, but it's not really.

CC 2018, OS High Sierra, both most current, brand new install on a brand new iMac Pro.

If I apply a style using a key command, 90% of the time the text from the cursor down goes crazy, looks duplicated. But if I hit the key command again, or click off the paragraph, or scroll, it goes away and is normal. So it's not really duplicating anything as far as I can tell. I screen captured exactly what it looks like.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I'm using Windows with InDesign cc 2018, but I can't seem to export a single page from a multipage document.

I know I can export separate pdf files, but I don't want 90 separate pages, I should be able to simply select one page and export it, with the printer's marks. I also tried to print to pdf using the print settings, but was unable to create a pdf file with the printer's marks and bleed, even though these were selected in the dialogue box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Indic script rendering issue

It seems that Indic Scripts should be supported by default in InDesign, without having to separately check boxes in preferences or select "World Ready Paragraph Composer" in the paragraph window's menu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. After pressing "Cancel" in "Relink..." dialog, the item is no longer selected in the Links panel

1. InDesign 13.1 x64, WIndows 10

2. Select an image on the page, and it is highlighted in the links panel. Press "Relink...". Press "Cancel".

3. The link should be highlighted in the links palette so I could press "Relink..." again immediately

4. The frame is still selected but the image is no longer highlighted in the Links panel. You have to deselect the frame and re-select it (or manually click the link in the panel) to highlight it again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base