Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Colors are displayed differently between pages

InDesign 13.0.1 on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) OS 10.13.3

Open a CMYK document. Place an sRGB file on page 1. Place the same (or copy) on page 2.

Expected: the colors on both pages look the same.

Actual result: With color-proof switched off, the colors on page 1 show as if color-proof turned on while on page 2 the colors show correctly. See screenshots with the same files on 2 pages. I changed nothing I just moved the picture from one page to the other.
    With color-proof turned on all pages look like page 1.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow for updating text thread when rearranging pages.

Allow for a more efficient way to rearrange pages and page content once page layouts have been created. Currently, rearranging pages breaks numbered lists and moving text within story editor breaks the visual layout.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Arabic

Using Adobe Arabic font, and paragraph set to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, when I copy in Arabic with a period at the end of the sentence, InDesign is interpreting the period as Roman/English text and placing it to the far right of the sentence, instead of at the end of the sentence (far left).

This is new since I last worked in these files in March of this year.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. existing file size won't change > InDesign CC 2019

Today I noticed that if I use an existing file > save as new file name > then change document set up (size) the document says it's the correct size but it is not!

After creating a PDF, I checked the file data and the size was not correct! Did this 7-8 times to make sure it wasn't a user error. Being that I do 100's of print ads a month, this is a HUGE issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

6. Copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps". PDF comments does not work. Only when copy is set to normal

When my copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps" from tool bar or Character menu. I make a change request in the PDF. Like "remove" a word. Then Import the PDF comments. Accept does not work. The only time it works is if the copy is set to regular copy or if you type the copy in "All Caps". No menu changes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. Quadclick to edit text in grouped textframes doesn't work anymore

(14.0.1 x64, Windows):

Switching from CS6 to CC.
    The Task: you have a group of items. The groupd also contains a textframe with some text. You want to edit this text. There is a change in the way you can "click-into" the group and into the text edit mode.

In CS6
    - you doubleclicked on the textframe in the group (that selected the textframe in the group), and you doubleclicked again onto the text to get to edit the text (textcursor). It was fast. Basicly a quad-click.

In CC:
    - That quad-click doesn't work. You have to doubleclick-PAUSE-doubleclick. And that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Problem aligning workspace elements on second screen 14.0.1

Working on a second screen with my MacBook Pro laptop, elements of the workspace are not moveable. Please see image to understand the moveable points on those tabs appear to be off-screen and are not on the laptop either. I've tried numerous workspaces, but this problem persists.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

10. page tab

Thumbnail page numbers does not show at the bottom of pages tab.

It has a easy work around of extending the tab in documents that are not too long, or counting the page numbers, anyway it's an annoying UI problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. page tab

Thumbnail page numbers does not show at the bottom of pages tab.

It has a easy work around of extending the tab in documents that are not too long, or counting the page numbers, anyway it's an annoying UI problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. numbers being added to end of toc

Bug issue: about midway through my toc headings, the page headers are getting the page number plus 20 added to the end of it. See screenshots. I've replaced the text, removed and reapplied styling. You'd think it'd apply to the whole group, but it's just this section. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Background Tasks Palette too wide

The Background Tasks Palette is too wide compared to other palettes in the UI (MacOS).
    I dock several palettes together to save real estate on my monitor. When I focus on most palettes, the width is 240 pixels, but the Background Tasks palette can't be made narrower than 400 pixels – a 66% increase! If there was a reason to have this palette be so wide I'd understand the limitation, but most of the relevant information in that palette would easily fit within the 240 width.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "haven't" contraction hyphenating in English USA

Unlike most of the other common contractions in English, the word "haven't" hyphenates at the end of a line. It shouldn't.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Export options locked

Hi., When customising the Workspace [ i.e. colouring menus and adding Panels to the Panel Dock ] on an Apple Mac, and then subsequently using File->Export, the Drop down list of Export formats are locked out [ i.e. I cannot go from PDF Print to any other format ]. To resolve I have to go back to one of the default Workspaces such as Essentials etc, and then the Dropdown can be accessed. This happens in all recent releases of InDesign including 2019. I imagine the root cause of the fault is more the colouring of the menus rather than…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него

Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него на рабочей области. Один и тот же текст выглядит в рабочей области и вне рабочей по разному. В рабочей области невозможно редактировать текст. (((

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Problem with drop shadow exposure when placing from Illustrator into Indesign

I am using the latest version of Indesign (14.0.1) and Illustrator (23.0.1).
    When placing a .ai file with transparency in Indesign and then making a drop shadow (in Indesign), the transparant parts of the object has the drop shadow above it, instead of beneath... :0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign palettes/panels do not expand or open when Application frame is Off

These small panels that you can attach to the large panels would not expand now after the update to 13.0.1
    I had problems with it already 2 updates back.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

19. Text disappears when task is changed

Text disappears when task is changed (returned to ID, v14 x64 Win10). Scrolling helps if the text is outside the window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base