Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Publish Online Incorrect German translation

Publish Online.
    As reported in the forums:
    In the "readerView" is a translation error in the "language-dropdown-content"
    it should read "Deutsch" (without the "e" at the end)!!
    "Deutsche" would be reffering to "several German people" not the German language. That is ALWAYS "Deutsch" only.
    Looks weird for a "Deutsche" :-) Would be like reading "Englishes" as a language option...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign CS 6 - Crashing

hi all,
    I ve permanently problems with crashes in Indesign CS 6 after updating the system on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (Preferrences were updated)
    Has anyone an idea for that effect?
    Thanks in advance
    BR
    Sija

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Crash and shifting of text markups

Exporting to IDML, to rtf or select all + paste lead to a system crash in InDesign CC 2017 (18.1.2). The export to pdf was possible. Using exclusion techniques, the typesetter was able to locate a bad paragraph in the middle of the document that crashes when selecting + pasting. She deleted this paragraph in text mode and re-inserted it. Now idml and rtf export works. But starting from this paragraph, all text markups in italic are now shifted (after the idml cleanup) by about 195 characters to the front. This error occurred shortly before printing and no one noticed.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for over 20 years when…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. double layout page has become a PB spread. some pictures missing

In a 36 page document one double page spread has become a PB spread. some pictures missing, page numbers should be 8 and 9 but show PB instead, page background is grey instead of white, see screen shot attached.
    This is a disaster as I have to get the completed magazine to the printer ASAP!
    Version InDesign CC 2018. Created a 36 page magazine. Checked back through the layout and found pages 8 and 9 were not normal. Not what I expected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

6. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 10.13.4

OSX 10.13.4. InDesign is updated and will not open. Period.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Endnotes and multi-language layers

InDesign CC 13.1

As a long-time user of ID, I want to report what looks to me like a serious bug.

Working on a multi-language book project for the first time since the endnotes feature was introduced, I noticed that when importing the second language on a separate layer (as I have been doing for many years without any problems) the endnotes are imported with correct references in the text but the notes themselves lose their numbers, showing the dreaded <?> instead.
    Trying to work around the problem using David Blatner's DTP tools' "import layers" feature gives the same result. …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Assigned Shift+Delete to Edit→Cut; it does not work

It's quite annoying that Adobe products doesn't support the Ctrl+Insert, Shift+Delete and Shift+Insert (Copy, Cut and Paste) operations by default. All other software on Windows does support so everybody is used with this.

So I assigned the above shortcuts via Edit→Keyboard Shortcuts...
    The Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert works, but the Shift+Delete (Cut) doesn't. It seems to me a bug, Shift+Delete being hard-coded and it's taking precedence over the assigned key combination.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. gpu

system: mac-osx-10.12.6 (sierra)
    software: indesign-cs6 ver 8.0
    software: indesign-cc(2018) ver 13.0.0

when in gpu-preview mode … center-line 'node' does not appear. when in cpu-preview mode … center-line 'node' does appear. the center-line 'node' has appeared in cs-versions and previous versions … and disappeared in the cc-versions.

i have outlined the steps, and included screen-caps, to reproduce the issue within my post to adobe-forums:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2492437

further info about my environment:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac18,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Indesign will not tag endnotes to XML

When Adding untagged items to the Structure, Indesign promptly states that Endnotes are not supported for XML tagging. I use XML tagging process for creating reliable Accessible WCAG compliant PDFs, and other export requirements. Please make Endnotes USEFUL - 1. keep in same story (not an additional frame) and make tagging process available.
    OR... a way to convert endnotes to linked cross references - even in tables!
    Tables if Indesign worst thought when it comes to footnotes and endnotes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [Indesign CC2018] [Os X] Can't move application window when clicking on application name

Users are not able to drag and move the application window when click/drag on the application name, located at the top of the main application window. When click/drag on the left or the right of the application name, moving the window is possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Spell checker in InDesign CC2018 (13.0) has lost its mind

InDesign spell check is randomly not recognising everyday words and when I acknowledge it by clicking Ignore All or Skip, it stops again on the very next word to report an Uncapitalised Sentence. This is happening whether I have the Dictionary set to Proximity or Hunspell.

I cannot find a pattern other than that, but I have now experienced it on ten different InDesign documents. It is very annoying, but I am also left to wonder whether it is actually missing other words that might actually need correction?? PLEASE HELP.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign crashes 2018 update-type ellipse path

InDesign will not allow me to type on an ellipse path and it crashes every time I try.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

16. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

17. InDesign CC 2018 UK dictionary is wrong

The UK dictionary in InDesign CC 2018 is wrong. It is recognizing both American and British spellings of certain words as correct. The biggest issues I've found so far are "iz" versus "is" spellings (e.g. capitalize/capitalise) and words that need an extra "e" (e.g. ageing). I have all text boxes in my document set to UK English, and spellcheck is finding certain misspellings (e.g. "or" versus "our"), but not others.

This is a major problem for those of us who regularly have to "translate" text from American English to UK English. Is there a way to import a better UK…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pallette pop-up menus appear on dual monitor

I'm using InDesign CC (latest version) on a Macbook Pro 15" (OS 10.13.3) together with a Dell 24" monitor. Most of my pallettes (except the very basic ones) are on my Macbook, while I have my workfield on the bigger monitor. What happens is that the pop-up menus of the pallettes i keep on the on the Macscreen appear on the big monitor, for instance all the transparancy-options. Very annoying and time-consuming!
    I tried resetting the prefs, re-installed InDesign, but no effect. Does anybody recognize this and have a fix? Thanks a lot!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. InDesign Lock File does not go away

Lock File (0 KB) remains after InDesign file is closed. Lock File does not go away. Oldest lock file is 10 days old. PC Laptop shut down every night.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)