ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text
Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and found a bug which makes the program unusable forcing me to immediately downgrade.
When I open on of my ID documents created in previous version of ID, all of my defined text variables as well as page numbers are corrupted and replaced by the "ss" text. Changing the style has no effect. I can create page number based on the 'Basic Paragraph' style but when i choose any other previously created style, the number changes to 'ss'.
Even the variable field preview shows 'ss' text instead of variable name.
The same document opens in ID 2020 15.0.3 without any problems.
The fix is now publicly available in the latest InDesign update, 15.1.1
Please update to this latest version to get the fix.
Adobe InDesign team
I concur, same issue here.
Raphaël Freeman commented
this bug was reported 10 days ago. Why are you only now investigating the issue?
John Chandler commented
I have tried to change the Paragraph composer and made no difference just ss, though I deleted the page marker in the master page and reinserted it that seemed to work, though its a real pain to do it when using multiple master pages in a 160 page catalogue.
Please fix quickly. Switching from the World Ready composers isn't an option if you're using languages that require those composers.
latest ID version problem. The page numbers from the master pages changed to 'ss'. reverted back to 15.0.3 x64 and there is no problem.
Naaa, page numbers are not that vital… give yourself a break and fix it in a few years.
Uwe Laubender commented
instead of 188.8.131.52 you could install 15.0.3. that's the version before.
There is compatibility between the two versions, means: You can open 15.1 documents with 15.0.3.
( ACP )
new update (15.1) show (ss) for all pages' numbers, and messes with "text variables"!
Luca Galligani commented
Same issue here in Italy. I can't downgrade 'cause I just saved in new version. When will you solve it? I have to print a 70 pages manual and I'm in trouble. Thanks. LG
Instead of repeatedly handling World-Ready composer bugs, you might finally add RTL support to Adobe Composer ??????
Same problem from the last update!
Raphaël Freeman commented
I have advised the 15,654 members of the InDesign group on Facebook NOT to upgrade to 15.1 until you fix this. Please let me know when you have a working version of the software.
Pierre Paquette commented
MacOS X Catalina on MacBook 2017
When updating to InDesign 15.1 and opening an existing document.
Stories that have only Latin (English) text are fine, but stories that have fonts for Cuneiform, Egyptian Hieroglyphs, and Ancient Greek (it’s a document about Ancient History) don’t display the proper character for footnotes. Instead, an “s” is displayed, or “ss.”
This simple but unavoidable error on every page is very disturbing.
what a me"ss"!! Had the same problem, all numberings turned into "ss". I switched back to the last version, and now I find that all the preferences are gone, so have to set things up my workspace and perhaps other unpleasantries (to be discovered) again!
Before switching, I noticed in the Indesign preferences there was no panel for "numbering options". Perhaps the cause of all this has to do with that being left out in the world options of indesign.
Same for me. There goes my deadline. Thanks again Adobe.
same for me. and the bug is also in footnotes numbers (both refernces and text) and in cross-references.
I have the same issue. I have reinstalled 15.1 with and without preferences. Neither worked. The issue remains.
Susanne Tamir commented
I need the world ready composer i have many documents in Hebrew. I hope it will be fixed soon. Meanwhile, i keep the old version on one PC and update the new one on the other. Thanks a lot
Paul Nylander commented