Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

255 results found

1. Textwrap 2020

Textwrap from old saved document takes spacing from paragraph indent...Thus you can see the very wide right margin for image.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. PDF Export in InDesign CC 2020 (15.0) is broken

As soon as I try to export a PDF (either with File > Export or File > Adobe PDF Presets), the background task starts but hangs at 32% and never completes. When cancelling the task, it never cancels and I need to Force Quit InDesign to cancel it.

Running Catalina with the latest version of InDesign (15.0)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

We tried with some custom InDesign files, but export works fine

Thanks

3. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample file with which the issue is reproducible at amaarora@adobe.com?

I tried with some custom files but was unable to see the issue (checked on Sigil epub viewer)

Thanks
    InDesign Team

4. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please share a sample INDD file at rdubey@adobe.com with which issue is reproducible?

We tried with some custom InDesign files, but export works fine

Thanks

5. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Thumb nail of indesign saved files not appearing after 2019 to 2020 update

Can anyone help me with this issue, since I update to the 2020 InDesign from 2019 all my icons in saved files don't show the InDesign thumbnail is this a bug or just me being dumb?

note -
    -Files still open as normal.
    -Even if I save them in 2020 formate still no icons
    -Other adobe programs since update show Icons.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When converting files to a new version, some converted files have "copy" added to the name.

Opening a book from a previous version, with automatic doc conversion selected, causes some files to be overwritten when saved with "copy" added to the name. This nuance has caused a cascading calamity for our file management. If this function is intended, then it's execution is downright dumb. Nowhere was this pitfall mentioned when opening the files and saving them. Automatic Document conversion should be just that, automatic. Not 'automatically' mess up my naming conventions and filing system.

Shame on you Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you confirm the version of InDesign with which you are facing the issue?
    It will be really helpful if you can share a screen recording of the workflow with us. It will give us unambiguous insight into the issue.

You can send the video and test files to abkaushi@adobe.com

-Abhinav

8. Ability to Add more than One Page at a Time

I have a "large" technical textbook, in my case 20 chapters and at least 22 indd files, if I wnt to add a page or two to an existing chapter, each time I click the new page icon, it takes a while for InDesign to reassess page and section numbers. Ten clicks of "new page later", it rather timeconsuming.

How about an option, similar to adding rows/columns to a table, that allows you to specifiy how many pages you would like to add?

At the moment, adding 10 pages means watching it update section numbers 10 times.

Kind regards
    Mike…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't export page range as pdf

I'm unable to export a page range from InDesign as a PDF as I have done for decades. I get two options when I choose "range," "All" and "Letter V."

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you try selecting (highlighting) “All Pages” and type whatever page range you want to export?
    If you have alternate layouts and you want to export a range of pages from a particular alternate layout, say Letter V, you can also type the page range after putting a colon, like this: Letter V: 2-3.
    This has been the case for many versions and has not changed.

Adobe InDesign team

10. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Customer comments

• InDesign lags when rearranging text boxes, adding image frames, adjusting frames that already exist
    • Selecting an item (e.g. text frame) in small and really uncomplicated documents has slight but very noticeable delays/lags, almost as if the click hangs and makes the item drag a little instead of just being selected.
    • Performance degradation is observed if more than 1 document is opened
    • Creating packages (File > Package) takes so much time – especially collecting image files into the Links-folder. This behavior is generally observed with Illustrator files.
    • Performance degradation is observed while working on indd document and not with the IDML of the indd document.
    • Lag observed for almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects

Troubleshooting steps tried to resolve issues

• Disable 3rd party plugins - One of the customer has tried with Suitcase Fusion but there was no improvement in the performance.

Workarounds

• Change the…
  12. Cannot save under a new name error code 1, network share, InDesign 2019

When I am trying to save InDesign document to a network share using Save As or using Save a Copy, InDesign comes up with an error message saying 'Cannot save, file is damaged, error code 1'.
    InDesign 2019 is up to date.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you able to saveAs/ SaveACopy the file locally?
    What is the exact version of InDesign 2019 are you using? 14.0.1/14.0.2/14.0.3?
    Is it happening with all InDesign files?
    Which OS version are you using?

13. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have identified that this occurs when you connect your Macbook Pro with an external monitor using the older, obsolete Apple adapter.

On using the newer, updated model of the Apple adapter, this issue does not occur. Many of our users have confirmed this.

Please share what hardware you’re using to connect the external monitor to your MBP.

Adobe InDesign team

14. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Anchored item with white overprints

This is a 'white' bug.

I regularly use anchoring to keep items aligned and for spacing.
    Text is black. Art or tables need white in them to knockout the shade beneath.

When a table is placed inline or a piece of art is anchored in a text box that has a color or a border... the white is ignored in the anchored object.

There is no reason to ignore a color just because it is inline or anchored.

This bug forces me to layer the object on a different layer, causing extra work in keeping the item aligned after edits.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. master page

The header items of my master pages are not always exporting. The top image is form the PDF. The bottom image is from the InDesign file. Notice how the gray rule is missing from the PDF. Sometimes the rule is missing from the left hand pages, sometimes it's on the right-hand pages.

The affected master pages were child master pages, and I was able to get around this issue by detaching the rule from the parent master page, and making it standalone on the child master page. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This appears to be a very recent…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Different views when switching between preview and normal mode

Strange behavior. I recently switched between preview and normal mode and InDesign showed me an older version of the document.

Most recent MacOS and InDesign Version.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. No longer shows hidden characters for one particular document.

I just updated to InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 7.
    The option Type > Show Hidden Characters no longer works for this document.
    It does not show newlines, paragraph marks, etc.
    This document has one pages at 2.5" x 5" size, with only text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please confirm if toggling the View→Screen Mode from Preview to Normal, shows up the hidden characters

Thanks

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base