Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

255 results found

1. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

2. "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error."

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2019
    2. File >Adjust Layout > I select Custom page size; Auto-adjust margins to page size change; Options - adjust font size, adjust locked content.
    3. Expected result: page and all objects and fonts shrink from those I needed for a 8.5" x 11" (letter sized) doc. to 7.222" x 6" (6-column newspaper ad size) I need to produce a print-ready PDF for newspaper layout.
    4. Actual result: the error message "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error." (note: the preflight shows no errors, all links working, everything copacetic).
    5. See screen shots.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Pasteboard not centered in layout view

I'm not sure if this is the right bug category, but when trying to view spreads, no matter what view option I pick, the pasteboard is aligned right only, with lots of extra room on the left. If I scroll all the way left, the left edge of the pasteboard is about in the middle of the view area and if I scroll all the way right, nothing past the right edge of the pasteboard is visible. It should be the other way around if not centered, because at least then, all my tool panels wouldn't cover up what I…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Ability to Add more than One Page at a Time

I have a "large" technical textbook, in my case 20 chapters and at least 22 indd files, if I wnt to add a page or two to an existing chapter, each time I click the new page icon, it takes a while for InDesign to reassess page and section numbers. Ten clicks of "new page later", it rather timeconsuming.

How about an option, similar to adding rows/columns to a table, that allows you to specifiy how many pages you would like to add?

At the moment, adding 10 pages means watching it update section numbers 10 times.

Kind regards
    Mike…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

In order to investigate the issue at our end we would require some more information from your side. Can you please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) Please let us know the version of InDesign on which you are facing this issue.
    2) It would really help us a lot, if you can share the documents( and other resources) with which you are facing the issue.
    3) Can you please share a small video demonstrating all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please mail this information to pgaurav@adobe.com

Thanks

6. Anchored item with white overprints

This is a 'white' bug.

I regularly use anchoring to keep items aligned and for spacing.
    Text is black. Art or tables need white in them to knockout the shade beneath.

When a table is placed inline or a piece of art is anchored in a text box that has a color or a border... the white is ignored in the anchored object.

There is no reason to ignore a color just because it is inline or anchored.

This bug forces me to layer the object on a different layer, causing extra work in keeping the item aligned after edits.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Master Page

When setting up multiple 2 page spread master pages, there is an issue with graphics overlapping onto other master pages when 'Facing Pages' is switched on.

For example - Master Page A is blank, and Master Page B has a green box along the top of the page.

When the Master Page A is placed next to a Master Page B, the green box graphic spreads onto Master Page A as well.

Please see the attached screen shots for clearer explanation.

Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

8. eyedropper tool

Using the eyedropper tool to select a color from the desired text is not working properly. Only strokes are painted with the desired color, not the text. It should like Illustrator's eyedropper tool which works perfectly. I have to use Illustrator's eyedropper tool to get the desired results I want.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if the “Character Settings” are turned on in the Eyedropper options?
    you can double click the eyedropper tool to check the eyedropper options

Thanks

9. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. White shows as black

All white (pure white such as paper, 0000, ffffff, etc.), shapes and even within linked images are showing black. Some pages are affected and some are not. If I go into the swatch slider CMYK mode, sliding K from 100 to 13 is normal, however, 12-0 starts scaling back down to black. I've tried linking to all types of images (TIFF, PNG, JPEG, transparencies). The file was fine last time I worked in it, but upon reopening this is happening. Is this a bug or a corrupt file?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Split window re-scrolls after returning from other app and changing other window

I am running Adobe InDesign CC 14.0.1.x64 on Windows 7 with latest updates (i.e., the most popular platform in the world).

1. Open the document (see attached).
    2. Split the window (Window > Arrange > Split Window).
    3. Scroll the left window to show page 2, with the Table of Contents.
    4. Scroll the right window to show e.g. page 3, with the cursor in the middle of the page.
    5. With the Type tool active, click the Enter key.
    6. InDesign correctly inserts a new paragraph, with the left window remaining unchanged.
    7. Alt-Tab out of InDesign.
    8. Alt-Tab back into InDesign. The Type tool should still…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

13. panels / windows won't open, InDesign doesn't launch 80% of the time

Honestly wasn't sure what to file this under. I am running the latest version of InDesign (version 14.0.2). About 4/5 times when I click to launch InDesign, it bounces for several minutes and then nothing happens... and then it stops bouncing and the dot under the app also goes away, yet the app says its open - still no windows. Eventually - usually after about 10-15 minutes of waiting - I have to right click, quit, and start again.

But this is the part that really bothers me: When it finally does open properly and loads a document, many of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please try reinstalling InDesign application after clearing up(or renaming) your preferences and cache for InDesign 2019(14.0).
    If you still face the issue after doing the above, please share with us some screenshots and(or) small video demonstrating the problem.

-InDesign Team

14. Copying a page: Wrong position

When making a copy of a page, for example a copy of page 1, the new copy lands on a wrong position in the page palette.
    1. Click and drag page 1 in the page palette while holding the alt-key. Then move mouse to the right, until a line appears between pages 1 and 2.
    2. Releasing the mouse button should result in a copy of page 1 between the original page 1 and 2. All subsequent page numbers should increase by 1.
    3. Instead of landing on position 2, the copied page appears on position 3.

This issue has…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. master page

The header items of my master pages are not always exporting. The top image is form the PDF. The bottom image is from the InDesign file. Notice how the gray rule is missing from the PDF. Sometimes the rule is missing from the left hand pages, sometimes it's on the right-hand pages.

The affected master pages were child master pages, and I was able to get around this issue by detaching the rule from the parent master page, and making it standalone on the child master page. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This appears to be a very recent…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

16. No longer shows hidden characters for one particular document.

I just updated to InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 7.
    The option Type > Show Hidden Characters no longer works for this document.
    It does not show newlines, paragraph marks, etc.
    This document has one pages at 2.5" x 5" size, with only text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please confirm if toggling the View→Screen Mode from Preview to Normal, shows up the hidden characters

Thanks

17. Bad PDF Export to x1a with indd placed in InDesign

• problem in InDesign CC2019 / macOS 10.14.3, 10.13.9
    • no problem with previous InDesign versions (on 10.13 systems)

Sometimes i use InDesign document (page) placed into another InDesign document (because more work with some pages and reuse them in more documents). If these placed Indd documents contains RGB images with transparencies (like transparency in PSD files, or transparency effects applied to flat images in InDesign), these images are exported very bad, highly desaturated. But only when export to PDF X1a (required by our printer, i use profile "ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" in all indd). No problem when exporting to higher…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please can you share the sample InDesign files that can help me reproduce the issue at amaarora@adobe.com?
    Please do add a small video illustrating the bug

Thanks,
    Aman

18. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    This issue was present in an earlier version of InDesign. Please confirm if you are facing this bug with InDesign version 14.0.2

If you face the issue with the latest version then please share a sample document at amaarora@adobe.com with which we can reproduce the issue in-house.

Thanks,
    Aman

19. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base