Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Spacebar handtool doesn't work

Since I use Indesign CC (Now CC 2018 13.0) sometimes the hand tool (spacebar) doesn't work. And today it again doesn't work. Why is this problem here for almost a year now. I am very disappointed in this bug.

11 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When the Spacebar stops working in InDesign, does it continue to work properly in other Adobe or non-Adobe applications? It looks like there is an application or a process running on the machine which is grabbing this key/shortcut.

Adobe InDesign team

• page number in page manu not shown

Hallo. Leider werden die letzten Seitenzahlen im Seitenmenü abgeschnitten.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
          • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
          • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• Indesign will start but will not create a new doc or open a previous one.

I am using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and Indesign CC 2018. The program has been working great but suddenly, beginning last night, InDesign will start up but when I go to create a new document nothing happens. I tried to open a document I had made the day before and it would no open either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, trashed my preferences, but still not working. I get no warnings or spinning color wheels. What is going on?

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
            (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
            • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
            • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
            • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• A2

When choosing the A2 format in a new document you get the following tallllll document

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com.

• Go to “Preferences”(Edit menu→Preferences→General)
              • Select the checkbox "Use Legacy “New Document” Dialog"
              • Open “New Document” Dialog using File → New → Document or Ctrl/Cmd+N
              • Provide the snapshot of “Page Size” drop down list in expanded form.

Adobe InDesign team

• Crash in InCopy corrupts InDesign file

File crashed when writer and designer were making single story InCopy edits back and forth. They made single story edits with no problem, but then tried to export a selection of 12 stories (all on 1 page) by selecting all 12 stories and exporting selection. When the writer opened InCopy to edit the page, it crashed every time she scrolled to that page.

The InDesign file then became corrupt and would crash immediately upon opening. Was able to save a version of the original file with a new name, but various text (on placed library items) is missing on the…

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
                (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

• convert

Click "convert" to open this document..... doesn't do anything!!

The error message then tells you "You are not currently signed in to the
                CC (which I already am). Please go to Help- > Sign In and enter your Adobe ID. Restart InDesign, then try opening the document again."

Performing this action does nothing, the error never goes away, you just go in circles.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like InDesign is not recognizing that you are already signed in.
                  Please try signing out from InDesign once. Quit and relaunch InDesign. Also you could try signing out from Creative Cloud App and sign back in to see if the issue goes away.

Adobe InDesign team

• High Quality Display Not working

I have used INDD for about 15 years. Very experienced. but just upgraded it to CC2019 along with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1. I can no longer see images in high quality (since the upgrades). I have triple checked everything. (image res, all INDD settings etc..) Is this a known issue?

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

43 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

There can be multiple reasons for slow downs. Watching you uploaded video gave us little hint for possible causes.
                      However , can you please send us your document for more analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

• GREP "Any Double Quotation Marks" wildcard not working as expected

Version: CC (14.0.1.209)

While using InDesign's Find/Change GREP feature:

The following GREP query wont find the matching string even if it exists in the document: (Any White Space) followed by (Any Double Quotation Marks) followed by (Any Uppercase Letter)

\s"[A-Z]

This should find any white space followed by any double quotation mark followed by any uppercase letter, however it shows no match.

The following GREP searches will work, but when combined they do not work:

\s" will find the white space and the double quotation mark

"[A-Z] will find the double quotation mark and any uppercase letter

It seems to…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • spreadsheet

InDesign CS4 - CC2018
                        j'ai créé un tableau sous indesign sur le plan de montage et dès que je le glisse sur la page les spécifications de cellules n'agissent plus. (cf capture ecran) certain textes sautent. avez-vous deja rencontré ce probleme?
                        et trouvé une solution ?

InDesign CS4 - CC2018
                        I created a table under indesign on the timeline and as I drag it on the page the cell specifications no longer work. (see screenshot) some texts jump. have you ever encountered this problem?
                        and found a solution?

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
                          • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Exporting to PNG file on network drive doesn't work

There appears to be a bug when exporting PNG files to network mapped drives in Mac OS X 10.13.4 (Darwin) Adobe InDesign 2018 (latest version).

This is in a domain environment using domain credentials. You export the file as PNG and it doesn't appear in the folder as expected. If I export to desktop it works fine, if I copy it from desktop to the share it copies fine. Just cannot export directly.

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,
                            Can you confirm the InDesign version you are using? Is it 2018.1 or 2018?
                            I assume the path to which you are trying to export the PNG is /Volumes/Shares/011 Changed Information/002 Changed Information/00617 Changed Information/Changed/ ?

Is this drive mounted via SMB?
                            Is it a NAS server?

• InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

12 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                              We are currently investigating the issue as the issue is not reproducible inhouse. We have sent mails to most of the folks and received following responses:
                              • The issue got resolved automatically.
                              • The issue immediately vanished when Unchecking Creative Cloud synchronization.
                              • Upgrade to OS 10.13.6 resolved the issue
                              • The issue got resolved after turning off TypeKit sync

Regards
                              InDesign Team

Sometimes when I open a document that I've worked on, some frames (text or/and pictures) have moved 5 mm horizontally. Its random, not all pages but some. This is a great concern since we are doing 164 pages magazines for a client and we have to manually look through every page every time we open the magazine.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
                                • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?

Adobe InDesign team

• search all documents

Search / Find "All Documents" opens unrelated docs, causes error crash.

Sometimes, when doing a "find" on "All Documents," InDesign will suddenly open a document (a document that is linked in my current document, but that wasn't open before) that has the looked-for text in it. Attempting to close this unwanted document causes a crash error.

This has been a problem since at least CS6 if not earlier. Shocked to find it in CC.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign crashes when highlighting open Acrobat comment text

This is a wild one that has happened multiple times now. InDesign will crash on my machine in the following specific circumstance:
                                  1) I have a text box selected in a file that I want to copy text into,
                                  2) I navigate to an ultimately unconnected PDF in Acrobat that has text I want to copy from,
                                  3) the PDF has an open comment box with currently highlighted text,
                                  4) I try to highlight other text within the comment box in order to copy that instead,
                                  5) and InDesign crashes hard (closes completely).

In case it matters, InDesign crashes before…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1
                                    2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference
                                    3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References
                                    4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

• change of page dimensions won't resize alternate layout

changed page dimensions but indesign won't resize alternate layout
                                      changed to 5.5" from 5" and it won't re-size the alternate vertical layout.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

• Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
                                        Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

14 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

I am trying to reproduce the issue so that it can be fixed at the earliest.
                                          However, we are still unable to get down to the steps to reproduce the problem inhouse.
                                          Please help us with providing the below mentioned details.
                                          1. What are the most used extensions in your Web Browser?
                                          2. Does the problem occur only when you had earlier used the hand tool or is it regardless of that?
                                          3. Have you witnessed the same issue on Id 14.0.1?

-Abhinav Kaushik
                                          InDesign Team

• crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base