Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. White shows as black

All white (pure white such as paper, 0000, ffffff, etc.), shapes and even within linked images are showing black. Some pages are affected and some are not. If I go into the swatch slider CMYK mode, sliding K from 100 to 13 is normal, however, 12-0 starts scaling back down to black. I've tried linking to all types of images (TIFF, PNG, JPEG, transparencies). The file was fine last time I worked in it, but upon reopening this is happening. Is this a bug or a corrupt file?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Italics not showing in InDesign CC2019 - but does in all other versions

I have a .docx file that when brought into InDesign CC2019 (14.0.2) the italics do not show. The italics show in all other versions of InDesign. This is worrying for when we work on long documents. The error still occurs if the file is changed to a .doc file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Adjust Layout: add an option to ignore objects anchored in text or bring back legacy (2018) layout adjustment

I always made extensive use of the old layout adjustment feature in 'margins and columns', yet the new 'adjust layout' gives inconsistent and confusing results, resizing objects that never used to get changed.

It's gone from being very useful to a liability.

For me it was great for resizing the main text frame on multi-page (100s+ pages) books, but leaving the objects pasted into the text frame alone (figures, etc). Also moving page numbers aligned with margins, but not changing the sizes.

The new feature stretches and distorts carefully measured objects/figures, changes anchored object settings (at least, things move about…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. reference point

Reference Point moves on objects when one object on page is rotated. Indesign 2019 (14.0.1) If one (or more) objects on a page is rotated, then the reference point on other objects on the page changes as you select through the different objects. This applies to text, picture, and tint boxes. If you try and make the reference point the same on all objects on a page, say the upper left point, then select other objects, they have changed to a different reference point. This makes it very difficult to align objects from page to page.
    Mac OS 10.12.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Pasteboard not centered in layout view

I'm not sure if this is the right bug category, but when trying to view spreads, no matter what view option I pick, the pasteboard is aligned right only, with lots of extra room on the left. If I scroll all the way left, the left edge of the pasteboard is about in the middle of the view area and if I scroll all the way right, nothing past the right edge of the pasteboard is visible. It should be the other way around if not centered, because at least then, all my tool panels wouldn't cover up what I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. GREP: Repetition (*, +) at the end of a Positive Lookbehind group doesn't seem to work

Product: Adobe InDesign CC 2019 (14.01)

Steps to reproduce:
    - Create a document with the text "abcde"
    - (Case 1) Do a GREP search for "(?<=bc+)d"
    - (Case 1) Do a GREP search for "(?<=bc*)d"

Expected result: highlight the "d"

Actual result: Cannot find match.

Note that searching for "(?<=bc)d" does work, as do of course "(?<b)c*d" and "(?=b)c+d".

Note also that this applied to GREP Styles in a paragraph style.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. New, based-on Object style isn't "based on"

Take an Object Style and create a new style based on that style. When the new dialog opens with the based-on name present, it has a number of items chosen and selected, but it's not the same as the based on item.

You could try Duplicate Object Style and then add the based on-name, but while there is no error, any change made to the based-on object does not change the new object style.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Crash with the lign tool and arrow
    Indesign 14.0.1

steps to reproduce the issues :
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ccJfKeoi1dw3gDSCZ-jcjhNdT9qPkkm?usp=sharing

best regards,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

10. Keyboard commands do not respond in document until text field is selected

Indesign 14.0.2 x64
    Windows 10

After opening any document, the keyboard does not work. Print, open, and quick key selections for tool will not register until I select the ​type tool with the mouse, and click on a text field so that the cursor appears.

I then have to click on the selection black arrow tool for any keys to start working. I use mainly quick key shortcuts and commands all day, so this occurs every new document opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you please try clearing up(or renaming) your preferences and cache for InDesign 2019(14.0).
    If you still face the issue after doing the above, please share with us some screenshots and(or) small video demonstrating the problem.

-InDesign Team

11. panels / windows won't open, InDesign doesn't launch 80% of the time

Honestly wasn't sure what to file this under. I am running the latest version of InDesign (version 14.0.2). About 4/5 times when I click to launch InDesign, it bounces for several minutes and then nothing happens... and then it stops bouncing and the dot under the app also goes away, yet the app says its open - still no windows. Eventually - usually after about 10-15 minutes of waiting - I have to right click, quit, and start again.

But this is the part that really bothers me: When it finally does open properly and loads a document, many of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please try reinstalling InDesign application after clearing up(or renaming) your preferences and cache for InDesign 2019(14.0).
    If you still face the issue after doing the above, please share with us some screenshots and(or) small video demonstrating the problem.

-InDesign Team

12. Bug when converting text into curves

Bug when converting text into curve
    result MOVING

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Online Published Documents show a blank screen after clicking PDF download button.

Online Published Documents show a blank screen after clicking PDF download button. Mac Safari & Chrome, Windows 10 & Chrome.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/023d4ab5-2ffd-4a9c-9b15-cc64ef1d4c27

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents with PDF download capability ?
    3. Which type of accounts are you using : Paid or Trial or something else ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and Browser information

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful

14. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

15. I emphasize enough how much I dislike the new styling on the text/paragraph style dialogues

It is SOO much harder to select the paragraph (or whatever) style I need now. The key information in that dialogue is the style name, which I know you know because that's what you show when it's selected. But that style name isn't the most visible part of the drop-down. In my case, it's darn hard to see. This is slowing me way down and I'm feeling very grumpy about it.
    I was also really irritated when the resize quick keys did a switcheroo here after 20+ years, but I can get over that. This one -though! Apologies for the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    This new menu you are seeing is only visible from the properties panel.
    You can still see the list of paragraph styles from the Paragraph Styles menu (Type→Paragraph styles) in the same way as it used to be in previous years.
    Please let us know if you still face the problem

Thanks,
    Aman

16. text bold italic regular

Cannot easily change text with bold italics and bold regular to non-bold italics and non-bold regular.

0. On Windows 7, InDesign 14.0.1 x64:
    1. In a normal text window, type "regular" in non-bold regular Times New Roman font.
    2. Then type "italics" in non-bold italic Times New Roman Font.
    3. Select the entire "regularitalics" phrase.
    4. Click Ctrl-B. The entire phrase correctly becomes bold.
    5. Click Ctrl-B again.
    Expected behavior: The entire phrase should revert back to regular.
    Actual behavior: Only "italics" reverts back to regular. The "regular" remains bold.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?

Adobe InDesign team

18. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Files shared in the description cannot be accessed now. Please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us again?

Adobe InDesign team

20. Page Margin Issues

When creating a new document using a preset with a margin, the margin is ignored when the document is made.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base