Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Problem with Object and Table menu

I'm running the latest version of InDesignCC 2020 v.15.0. Every time I go to the Object or Table menu, InDesign crashes. This happens every time, I had that problem in the previous versions of InDesign, but it is getting really bad now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. eye dropper causes crash

Eyedropper using within the color selection screen causes crash everytime.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Indesign freezes when loading .indd files from server

Every time I try to open a file with .indd extension from our server the program crashes-stops working, therefore I "force quit".
    It starts loading up to the point of the "missing links" notification message (if there are any) and it stops responding-freezes.

Tho when this same file is copied to the desktop it opens just fine.

Why and what is the reason and most importantly what is the solution for this problem?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when the issue was encountered?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Book / Index

Indesign 2020 15.0, Indesign CC 2019 14.0.3, Indesign CC 2018:
    Crash when generating the index in a book with many chapters.
    The book has 156 chapters (from 1 page to 30 pages) - when updating the index reproducible crash.
    The book has 822 pages.

Every time I sent an error report - no reaction. I think it depends on the number of documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Textwrap 2020

Textwrap from old saved document takes spacing from paragraph indent...Thus you can see the very wide right margin for image.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. export

My inDesign file won't export to PDF. it says it has an error but no exact details.
    Also when I want to make a package it stops while exporting

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign issue occurred?

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet"

Wird eine Buchdatei bearbeitet und geschlossen ohne das das Fenster Buch geöffnet ist, wird das Dokument mit dem Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet" markiert.
    Dieser Fehler tritt nicht auf, wenn das Fenster Buch beim Schließen oder Speichern geöffnet bzw. angezeigt wird.
    Es ist kein Grund für dieses Verhalten zu erkennen. In den letzten ID Versionen trat dieser Effekt nicht auf.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cannot save under a new name error code 1, network share, InDesign 2019

When I am trying to save InDesign document to a network share using Save As or using Save a Copy, InDesign comes up with an error message saying 'Cannot save, file is damaged, error code 1'.
    InDesign 2019 is up to date.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Indesign Crashes Every time I Attempt to Change the Font With Arrow Keys

This just started happening this week. Every time I highlight my text, click on the font box, and attempt to cycle through fonts with my up and down arrow keys, Indesign freezes until I have to force it to quit.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

12. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have identified that this occurs when you connect your Macbook Pro with an external monitor using the older, obsolete Apple adapter.

On using the newer, updated model of the Apple adapter, this issue does not occur. Many of our users have confirmed this.

Please share what hardware you’re using to connect the external monitor to your MBP.

Adobe InDesign team

13. When converting files to a new version, some converted files have "copy" added to the name.

Opening a book from a previous version, with automatic doc conversion selected, causes some files to be overwritten when saved with "copy" added to the name. This nuance has caused a cascading calamity for our file management. If this function is intended, then it's execution is downright dumb. Nowhere was this pitfall mentioned when opening the files and saving them. Automatic Document conversion should be just that, automatic. Not 'automatically' mess up my naming conventions and filing system.

Shame on you Adobe.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. freeze

1. ID version 14.0.3.

2. I launch ID.

3. Buttons should normally be clickable

4. However, ID freezes after appr. 1 second and nothing is remotely clickable. Only way to close the program is by shutting it down via taks manager

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign freeze?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Indesign crashes with 0xc0000005 executing a script that works with tables

Hi all,

I have a extend script that works with tables. It always works fine executed in Extend Script Toolkit, but when I want to rise it from Adobe Indesign, it always make the aplication to crash with an 0xc0000005 error. Not always crashes at the same line and not always crashes in the same table. Simply a random number of tables in the document are procesed, but always crashes before finish.

Indesign version: CS6 8.0 version (I also have tried with a trial 2019 version and also crashes!!).

We are totally desperated. Please, help!!

Thanks…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Script crashing InDesign

Adobe InDesign Team

16. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

18. Cannot save file " " under a new name. The file "DBTmp982766505057" is damaged (Error code: 0).

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave in order to accommodate the latest Adobe CC 2019, which I also just installed. I have yet to be able to save an InDesign file. I keep getting the above message.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. InDesign Crashing when inserting footnote or carriage return

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and inDesign CC 2019.

I have used InDesign since it replaced PageMaker, and PageMaker for a decade before that. It almost never misbehaves ... so I am grieved to report that I just crashed InDesign three times in a row.

I am editing an existing 20-page, single-column document. The first two times I tried to insert a footnote, InDesign crashed dramatically -- the windows disappeared and the program icon in my Dock no longer showed the dot indicating an open application. The third time I inserted a carriage return and InDesign crashed the same way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

20. CC2020 story doesn't show hyperlink symbols

Hello,

With CC 2019 I could switch into story mode and see the starting and ending tags for a hyperlink. This ability was beneficial because I found the text editor struggled to reveal/understand the boundaries of the hyperlink's text-it couldn't tell where the hyperlink ended. If you look in the first figure, if I type at the end of the hyperlink, even with first keying a space symbol, the hyperlink extends into any further sentences I type.

In 2019 I would use the story editor to move the cursor outside the hyperlink termination symbol and get around the problem. With…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Open the Hyperlinks panel and see whether the Hyperlinks are actually there. It could be that the Hyperlinks were initially created (hence the Blue color Underline beneath them) but were removed later on. That’s why the Story Editor does not show them.

From the Hyperlinks panel flyout menu, choose ‘Convert URLs to Hyperlinks…’ and see if the Hyperlink Start and Termination Symbols are shown in the Story Editor.

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base