Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dialog Box Disappears

From time to time the Move dialogue box will not show up when called using the hotkey Shift-Command-M. InDesign then thinks a dialogue box is open and will not perform other tasks. You cannot exit the phantom dialogue box with escape. You cannot save your document. You cannot quit InDesign without manually force quitting.

I am on Mac High-Sierra OS 10.13.1 (17B1003) and the latest Creative Cloud version of InDesign. I have had this happen on multiple computers and on multiple versions of InDesign.

I do not have multiple monitors - however, I do use the Spaces function on the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Converting 2018 to 2017

Most times when trying to open indd 2018 files from indd 2017, it gives the option to convert. Then says unable to convert because I'm not signed in when in fact...I am.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Outside aligned strokes are buggy

After outlining text, putting an outside or inside stroke on it produces odd results. It seems it aligns to the absolute outside of the object, rather than the edges like it does in other Adobe programs. I've attached an example of what adding an outside stroke to an outlined 'e' looks like in both Indesign and Ilustrator looks like. This seems to effect any object that has a section cut out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. GREP variables $1 (and so on) not working

GREP variables $1 (and so on) are not working. $0 brings the found text, $1 just replaces with $1.
    Indesign CC 13.0 2018

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

6. preferences update

Preferences, templates, custom sizes, actions should be carried forward as standard. Having to reset everything every update is excruciating and a large waste of unnecessary time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. pen constraining and / or snapping

Drawing with the pen tool snaps / constrains to fixed increments rendering it useless. This occurs even after turning off snap to guides and smart guides and using control to disable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Data missing when importing a spreadsheet (Exel) into InDesign

When I insert an excel document into my indesign document some values of some cells do not appear in Indesign document. I tried to save the excel document in an older version and that's the only way it worked.I think it's a compatibility issue. See this link that have the same problem: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/65160/data-missing-when-importing-a-spreadsheet-into-indesign
    I need that this issue resolved to can work in editorial work design.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InDesign: 2018, newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces

Newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces. Newest update to Photoshop 2018 doesn't...argh.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Custom GREP-queries are suddenly away

I had a nice collection of custom GREP queries. But suddenly they are away. They were numbered from 1 to 18. I'm very down to do this all again … Is there a way to find this again? Where are the custom queries saved? I updated from macOS 10.12.4 to macOS 10.12.5. Maybe that's the reason? Or is the reason that I had numbered them?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. : Balboa extra condensedFont continues to be missing after indication that it is synced

Font: Balboa extra condensed continues to be missing after indication that it is synced

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Units keep changing

In the preferences I change the units to inches and it saves. But when I open and close the program again, InDesign, Photoshop, etc., the units reverse back to picas

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Persistent startup screen

When opening old ID documents frequently the startup screen hangs on the main screen. This happens specially after missing images, plug-ins an fonts warnings. Have to quit and relaunch ID...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign 15.0.1 Find/Change dialog does not show on OSX Catalina 10.15.2

InDesign 15.0.1 Find/Change dialog does not respond to either keyboard prompt nor to pulldown menu choice. Was working fine all morning. Just stopped. Strange?? Any cure??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Adobe Fonts don´t load

Adobe Fonts don´t load. When I click to activate a font it changes icon to "activating" but it never activates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign hyperlink testing swamps my website and triggers my site's denial-of-service-attack banning on my IP

InDesign does checking of hyperlinks to see if they are valid and indicates the result in the hyperlinks list with a green dot (good) or a red dot (bad).

The problem is my document has 500+ hyperlinks to my website and when Adobe tests these hyperlinks (when I open up the hyperlinks list dialog), it swamps my website with hundreds of hyperlink hits all at once and triggers the denial-of-service-attack IP banning code on my website.

The end result is any time I'm editing hyperlinks in my Adobe InDesign document, I get banned from my website! When I check the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. InDesign hyperlink %0D bug

When I cut and paste URLs from a text document into the hyperlink dialog box, I can accidentally get a carriage return included. InDesign "includes" the carriage return in the one-line dialog box field but gives no indication that it's there.

Once I export the InDesign document to a PDF and then click on the link in the PDF, the link shows with a %0D at the end and it fails with a 404 not found.

This is extremely annoying because InDesign gives no indication that the carriage return is there with its one-line link dialog box field.

What should…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unpinning of Adobe Cloud Folder in Windows Explorer is not working

The Adobe Cloud Folder at the Windows Explorer can not be removed. The instruction on https://helpx.adobe.com/de/creative-cloud/kb/remove-cc-files-folder-shortcut-navigation-panel.html is not working.

Adobe CC 2020
    Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0.17763

Please, for the future: Don't change anything on users computers without asking for permission! It's my computer, not yours. I do not change anything on your computers without first asking.
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dialogue windows doesn't stay where you last put it

On older versions when you resized/moved dialogue windows they stayed where they were, now, when I'm relinking multiple items for example, I have to move the window out of the way so I can see my links pallete. Every. ****. Time. This just ruins my workflow and is a basic bit of functionality that's been broken for a while now. Please fix!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base