Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Library windows when opening and closing documents

When I open a document, a "Sample Buttons and Forms," library window opens, covering up menus, even though I do not have libraries set to display. Likewise, when I close the document, a different (in this case, locally created, window appears). Always the same windows. See screenshots. It's annoying to have to close these windows every time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Strange black window in InDesign CC 14.0

There is a strange bug since my latest upgrade to 14.0. Each time I import an image into a frame (cmd D) it appears a black window. Very annoying. Now way to get rid of it except shutting everything down, quitting InDesign and restarting. What's wrong?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Scaling of arrowheads on paths is so wrong

If I put an arrow head (or any other of the predefined startings/endings) on a path and scale it, it barlely changes the actuall size of the starting ending, even with crazy huge precentage changes, like 1% and 200%. See screenshot from InDesign CC 2019.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Basic Shortcuts Gone

InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator all lost shortcuts such as spacebar hand, zoom, unable to scale boxes in InDesign or constrain placed images, Photoshop you can't constrain a scale with shift. All same in Illustrator. Just noticed these yesterday and assumed it was Mojave, which I installed Saturday. I updated Adobe upgrades but that didn't help.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PDF comment import does not show regular sticky notes.

The new PDF comment feature imports the comments just fine, but regular sticky note comments are not displaying. They show up in the list, but do not point to where they are on the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. changes reverting back?

Beginning yesterday, anytime I edit my document, the changes momentarily take place and then the changed or deleted items reappear. If I switch between preview and normal, the changes will show.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Creative Cloud

I have Creative Cloud installed, but can't use it from within InDesign- the panel window says I don't have it installed. This is a bug. I voted when somebody else reported it, but it isn't fixed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. eyedropper tool

Adobe InDesign CC 2017 (also 2018) The eyedropper tool does not work on text, when there is a second layer with data in it. On the screenshot I tried to make the text green.
    When the red layer is turned off, it works properly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    G

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Preview bug, always scrambled

Preview is always messed up. Images attached, text is often spliced like this until I zoom in and out. Sometimes overprint preview helps but it's happening frequently and I can't see what my work looks like...

Indesign CC 2017

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Extension option missing

Extension option is missing in Window menu. So, i can't the see my added extensions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Endnotes and multi-language layers

InDesign CC 13.1

As a long-time user of ID, I want to report what looks to me like a serious bug.

Working on a multi-language book project for the first time since the endnotes feature was introduced, I noticed that when importing the second language on a separate layer (as I have been doing for many years without any problems) the endnotes are imported with correct references in the text but the notes themselves lose their numbers, showing the dreaded <?> instead.
    Trying to work around the problem using David Blatner's DTP tools' "import layers" feature gives the same result. …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign 2018 can't differentiate between two similiar font names

Our company works with two fonts called "CalloutTS" and "CalloutTS2". They are similiar, but not the same. For years everything worked fine. But since the CC 2018 update, InDesign can't differentiate between these two fonts anymore. You can now only select "CalloutTS". But depending on which computer your working on it randomly shows either the glyphs of "CalloutTS" or of "CalloutTS2". InDesign reads the font name of "CalloutTS2" now also as "CalloutTS" and can't decide which font to show. It seems like a simple digit isn't enough anymore to differentiate between two font names. This is a huge problem because…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

15. Dialog Box Disappears

From time to time the Move dialogue box will not show up when called using the hotkey Shift-Command-M. InDesign then thinks a dialogue box is open and will not perform other tasks. You cannot exit the phantom dialogue box with escape. You cannot save your document. You cannot quit InDesign without manually force quitting.

I am on Mac High-Sierra OS 10.13.1 (17B1003) and the latest Creative Cloud version of InDesign. I have had this happen on multiple computers and on multiple versions of InDesign.

I do not have multiple monitors - however, I do use the Spaces function on the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Converting 2018 to 2017

Most times when trying to open indd 2018 files from indd 2017, it gives the option to convert. Then says unable to convert because I'm not signed in when in fact...I am.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Outside aligned strokes are buggy

After outlining text, putting an outside or inside stroke on it produces odd results. It seems it aligns to the absolute outside of the object, rather than the edges like it does in other Adobe programs. I've attached an example of what adding an outside stroke to an outlined 'e' looks like in both Indesign and Ilustrator looks like. This seems to effect any object that has a section cut out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. GREP variables $1 (and so on) not working

GREP variables $1 (and so on) are not working. $0 brings the found text, $1 just replaces with $1.
    Indesign CC 13.0 2018

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

20. preferences update

Preferences, templates, custom sizes, actions should be carried forward as standard. Having to reset everything every update is excruciating and a large waste of unnecessary time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base