Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

861 results found

1. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Stalling

Within the last couple weeks, Indesign has been acting very glitchy for me. I've never had these problems before, but when I open a document the application seems to stall for a bit. This is happening in all my documents (so it isn't one file that is the issue). Indesign doesn't ever crash, but seems to get hung up within the first couple minutes of use.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Paste Discretionary Line Break Malfunction

The discretionary break character is an awesome addition. But I think it came with a bug:

When typesetting text that contains URLs, I use a GREP search to find all URL strings in order to globally apply a character style with Language set to [No Language] in order to suppress any auto-hyphenation.

I then use some search-replaces to globally insert discretionary breaks in places I don't mind URLs breaking, such as preceding periods and hard hyphens. This technique can still leave too-loose or too-tight letter-spacing when URLs contain long unbroken letter strings, and in those cases I insert discretionary line…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. cannot scroll to preview corner options

InDesign 16.3 CC download, Win64: In previous versions of InDesign I could select a text or image box, open the 'corner options' drop-down list, and arrow/scroll through the options to preview the effect of each on the selected box. In InDesign CC, I can arrow through the list but no previews are shown on the selected box. Instead, it takes 12 clicks to re-open and select each of the six options. I have posted this problem in the community, with responses from Bill Silbert and Steve Werner. They concur that it's an InDesign/Windows Bug.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign is still unusably slow

Despite many many threads about this, I cannot find an answer that solves this issue. I am getting a spinning wheel on almost every action I perform in InDesign. It spins for around 10 seconds and then is good until I do anything else. It is incredibly frustrating.

I am running InDesign 16.3.2 a part of Adobe CC 2021.
    I am on a 2018 MacBook Pro, running Big Sur 11.4
    32 GB Ram
    2.9GHz i9 Processor

I have tried a bunch of 'answers' from previous threads but none seem to work. Please help!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Can't scale proportionately in latest Mac Big Sur update

I can no longer scale proportionately using the shift and command key.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Files change to 'Read Only' when I click on 'Save'

When I have updated to 16.2.1 x64 of InDesign I am experiencing an issue where files are becoming 'read only' once I have clicked save manually. I then have to re-save the document as a new filename and then go back and delete the original. It is happening when I am using Dropbox. I have experienced this using Dropbox at home and in work and has only started to happen once I have clicked 'save' manually with the latest version of InDesign

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Cannot create the link resource from the given URI

On a brand new Mac running OS 12.0.1 (Monterey). Restored from a Time Machine backup and didn't have this issue before. I use Bridge to select and insert images into InDesign picture boxes by selecting the image, right-clicking and selecting "Place" then "In InDesign" and the image has always been properly placed. However, since upgrading to the new OS, when I select and try to place, I get this error:
    "Cannot create the link resource from the given URI." The Mac switches to InDesign, but no image is placed. Workarounds are very cumbersome as I'm often working with lots of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. saving documents on a mac pro OS 11.6.1 using the latest Indesign version, the save or export box flashes onscreen then vanishes

Using Indesign 2021, V 16.4 on a mac pro with OS Big Sur, 11.6, when I try to export to PDF or save a document, the save box flashes, flickers onscreen then vanishes before I can save. After many many attempts sometimes I'm able to save or export. Frustrating, and for the cost, Indesign should not be doing this.
    Thanks-

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Save-as – file name not default text field for saving files – 17.0.1

In previous versions, save-as brought up a dialogue where I could start typing or changing the file name right away. Now, I either need to actually click on the file name or press tab three times to get there.

As someone who uses keyboard commands for speed and efficiency, this is annoying. The older version was faster and better. If you could fix this, I'd appreciate it.

On the plus side, you've finally allowed us to use Command-N for a new folder and Command-O to open a file on start-up – which are system-wide Mac standard commands that were somehow…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Dreamweaver and Indesign allocating all available memory

I have an M1 iMac (8gb ram and 256 SSD) no matter how small or big the project I'm working on is, after about 10mins it takes over 90% of all available memory! Although I have adjusted to saving and quitting after every 10mins, I would love for this not to be an issue in the first place.

Details: I open the application to work on school projects. Some projects as small as 1 spread and only text (no images) and some over 10 pages with many images. The bigger projects cap out memory around the same time as the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Command + N doesn't work for New Document

For some unknown reason CMD + N has stopped working as a shortcut for a new document. In the File menu, it says it's programmed as a shortcut, but it doesn't work. I reset the shortcut and it temporarily works. If I open INDD and reset the shortcut, then it'll work when I use it. But if I close INDD and then try Cmd +N, it won't work. I've reset it numerous times. I've lost count of how many times INDD has updated. And nothing fixes this problem.

Currently working on the latest version of INDD (16.1). This problem has…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Two finger trackpad zoom in OSX is broken

I use Option + Two Finger Up Or Down on the track pad to zoom in InDesign.

While it seems to zoom in fine, it almost never zooms out properly. Often when I try and zoom out it zooms in further.

This behaviour works just fine in other Adobe apps such as Illustrator.

I'm running Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2019 16" Macbook Pro.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign Workspace Keeps Disappearing

Since the latest update of InDesign every time I leave the program and then come back my side panel workspace goes away. I have to select a different workspace and then reselect my saved space to get my setup to show up.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Disable cross-references

InDesign is far too slow when you have too many cross-references in a single document - and by too many I mean not many at all (I have 30 in one of mine, and the document grinds to a halt all the time). Whilst opening every single document that is references helps a bit, this is far from a satisfactory solution. At a minimum it should be possible to disable cross-references whenever you want, to avoid the performance hit. It would also be a good idea to fix the cross-references issue completely, so that cross-references are not constantly being updated…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Saving a document

There's a strange problem when I try to save a document in InDesign. It doesn't happen every time but it's reoccuring and quite annoying. When I try to type something in the "save as" field, all the characters change as if Cthulhu has taken over the system. The only way to be able to save is to cancel and try again until it doesn't happen. This problem has only occured in the Adobe Indesign 2021 version.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Error on Save : "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged."

Indesign constantly comes up with a weird error when ever I click save while in a document - 'Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged. click Ok.

Also I know in the previous version that whenever I zoomed in too much I would get constant crashes. Hope it's been fixed in the version but I won't hold my breath.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. inDesign 16.1 - New version(s) do not keep color settings for documents

Just one more thing to check EVERY time I look at the document.

Reverts to ---- Emulate Adobe inDesign 2.0 CMS Off

ISSUE
    A. Even after changing the Color Settings in an open document when I switch apps and come back the Colors Settings have reverted ---- Emulate Adobe inDesign 2.0 CMS Off ---- this is really, really annoying.

B. Opening a document that had been saved in the current version - the Color Settings did not save with the document -

I just made my regular preference without a document open - quit the program reopened -- the Color…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base