Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

479 results found

1. Pressing shift quickly after clicking and holding a frame handle deselects it

Say I have a simple rectangular frame that I want to resize (bear with me: I know I can use the black arrow but this is just an example). I choose the white arrow tool, select the two right-hand handles, click and hold one of the selected points, hold down shift to constrain the direction, then drag to the right. So far so good in theory. However, if I press shift within a few seconds of the click+hold, the handle I click on is deselected as if I had performed a simple shift+click. The order that I perform the operations…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can't use num. keypad for shortkeys

Hi, I'm using InDesign v 13.1 x64 (up to date) on my laptop (Windows 10).
    On Photoshop and Illustrator, I've no issue with shortkeys but on InDesign, I can't do "CTRL+0" for example. When I try to edit shortkeys, the software doesn't recognize my input, as if I wasn't pressing "0".
    Thanks for fixing it. :)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In InDesign, the numeric keypad is only meant to assign shortcuts to Styles – Paragraph, Character, Object, Table.

For assigning shortcuts to other Application’s commands, you’ll have to use the other shortcuts – for e.g., to use Cmd+1 to bring image to 100%, you will have to press Cmd and the ‘1’ key that is above the letter keys (on English keyboard, 1 is above letter Q).

Hope it helps to clarify how shortcuts work in InDesign.

Adobe InDesign team

3. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Backlog  ·  Nikhil Kedia responded

Issue is still seen in 'Immediate' Live Screen Drawing mode, when pressing alt in between the drag while copying to another spread

4. UI not displaying

ui is not displaying correctly, panels, tools dissapeared. Please watch link.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5NRsHuoL3E

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Background Task Animation Error

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (latest version)
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (latest version)
    Expected result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar to rise and fall (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1...)
    Actual result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar rises and falls incorrectly (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,0,1,1,2...)

I notice this a lot since I am exporting multiple PDFs a day. As soon as each is done, I need to copy them to send via emails/upload to other servers/etc.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hand Tool/Help Menu Shortcuts Mixed Up

In their default states, the Hand Tool and Help menu options are bound to H and F1 respectively, but pressing H during normal use of the program consistently uses Help instead of the Hand tool.

Removing the F1 shortcut from the Help menu fixes this issue. I've experienced it in other areas, and I assume this solution will work for those as well.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign CC UI scaling problem on multiple monitors with different resolutions

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 x64
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro build 1709.
    Monitors: Portrait orientated Dell U2415 24 inch (1200x1920) with 100% windows scale option and Landscape orientated Dell UP3216Q (3840x2160) with 150% (Recommended) scale.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open InDesign CC on the 32 inch monitor
    2. Move all or some of the panels to the 24 inch monitor

Expected result:
    Panels in the 24 inch monitor should adapt to the resolution of the monitor the same way Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC does – crisp and nice.

Actual result:
    Panels don't adapt to monitor's…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Mouse lag when linking box and then drawing a new text box on a page

I have a box of text, i click the link button on the bottom right of the test box to make a new box, the mouse is them slow and laggy while it is loaded up with text i then draw a new text box, the mouse then returns to normal speed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Unable to apply multiple character styles after last update

I used to be able to select a piece of text, then open the Character Styles panel and select multiple character styles using the control key. I can successfully click. However, the styles selected are not retained. Only the first style I had selected is still applied. This is a huge bug affecting my impending book publishing.

I even cross confirmed it with two simple character styles - one [embolden] and one [italica] (aka bold and italic) expecting to be able to select both.

This DID work around October 2017 - we just did not notice that it had stopped…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. after opening any second (and further) document

keyboard shortcuts doesn't do anything.
    you cannot export (ctrl+E), close (ctrl+W), find (ctrl+F) or do anything else unless you click in text frame to activate text cursor.

After that all shortcuts works as intended.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Page panel and some others have some problems

Hi, I'm using Indesign CC (13.1 x64) on Windows 10. After the last upgrade (past week) there is a problem with the pages panel (see attached images): the last raw of page are without number (it seems it's hide under the panel frame) and even if i try to extend at maximum the panel, those numbers are still under the frame.
    Also I had the same problem with the link panel, but solved it extending the panel.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Publish Online thumbnail navigation has disappeared

The cursor changes on hover and link works but the graphics are missing for forward and back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. .Indd files look like their opening, but they and the controls are not displaying in Indd. Just missing.

.Indd files look like their opening, the application seems to think it's open, but they and the controls are not displaying in Indd. It's just missing. It happens with any Indd file. No error. It just wont' open, but you can see the temporary file in the folder showing it's open, and it asks me if I want to save it when I go to quit. I just reinitialized my computer last weekend and reinstalled CC.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. multiple display drop down issue

When using two displays extended vertically rather than horizontally (eg, Display 1 arranged to be above Display 2 rather than to the left or right of), if a dialog drop down is longer than can be fit on one of the displays and is positioned in screenspace such that it should spill onto the other display, it is cut off at the edge instead. Screenshot attached. Running latest OS X and latest InDesign CC. Only occurs in dialogs: parent window drop downs don't try to extend beyond the active display.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cursor size in working area is huge InDesign CC 2018 Win

The ID cursor (black) when over the workspace is huge. It is normal size when hovering over the tool bars (white), but when you move over the workspace it is supersized. This occurs when working on an external monitor, but is scaled appropriately on HD Laptop Screen.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign performance issue: Slow interface

The new document window is painfully slow. The pallets such as the background task pallet take some visible time to initialise themselves. As a whole the UI is always lagging.

I'm on a new iMac Pro and this is completely unacceptable. It feels as though the interface is getting in the way instead of making work easier.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When setting the frame grid with the shortcut key, it becomes an unintended font display

InDesign Ver.13.0.1 x64(CC 2018) Japanese Edition
    Windows

1. make new document
    2. make new frame grid
    3. select frame grid
    4. press key "Ctrl+B", and open dialog

A font that starts with "B" installed in the system is displayed in the font setting of the dialog.
    Should be displayed is the default "Kozuka Mincho Pr6 N".

CC 2017 and older versions are no problem.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Highlight/Colorize menu commands : changes retained temporarily , then disappear

Using the Edit > Menu Command to highlight/colorize frequently used commands. After spending a good deal of time setting this up, the menus only remain highlighted for a few minutes before the all highlighting disappears. Have repeated this exercise a few times, trashed preferences, always the same result.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Disappearing panels

Sometimes, when switching applications then back to InDesign, some of the panels are turned off. One that's particularly annoying is the Swatches panel. It doesn't always do it but when it does it's really annoying having to open it back up again.

Resetting InDesign preferences doesn't fix it.

This only seems to affect one Mac that's running El Capitan. We have others that are also on the same version of OS and same version of InDesign that don't do this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign CC2018 is not compatible with Nvidia GPU anymore

With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3,
    pictures in boxes are going to be greyed, when manipulate the border/box. They are also going to be greyed when moving the content. With CC2017 it works properly. I was in contact with a chat support person already, who can proof this.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Can you please share screenshot for this issue. And , are you facing this issue for all the documents ?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base