Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

44 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. Type tool still deselects itself InDD 15.0.1

The bug has been already reported, it's been claimed to be fixed in 14.0.1, but actually still persists and never was corrected.

Typing "T" just selects the type tool very briefly, then changes back to the previous tool. Clicking inside a text frame has the same result, even if you get to select some part of the text, it just changes back tot he previous tool in most of the cases. The only way to get it work, is to select the tool in the sidebar, however even there it takes several seconds to become active.

Using InDD 15.0.1 on…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign 2020 15.0.1 CEP panel size bug on Windows HiDPI with scaling > 100%

On some Windows workstations, my InDesign CEP panel has the wrong size (way too large). This looks like a re-surfacing of the old bug mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/cep-panel-wrong-size-in-cc2018/td-p/9660228?page=1

• Version:

InDesign version 15.0.1

• Steps to reproduce:

Install this dummy sample 'Hello World' panel into InDesign 15.0.1 on Windows 10 on a workstation with a HiDPI display. Make sure the Windows Display Scaling it set to 100%

https://rorohiko.com/downloads/ID2020PanelSizeBug/ID2020PanelSizeBug.1.0.0.zxp

Run InDesign, open the panel -> should be OK.

Quit InDesign, change the Windows display scaling to 200%

Run InDesign, open the panel -> panel is extraordinary large. See screenshots on

https://coppieters.nz/?p=333

• Expected result:

Panel…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Media panel gone HUGE

So, after running in a while on the new Adobe 2020 app, I noticed that the Media panel started to grow in size each time I opened the tab. Before I could notice, the Media panel was absolutely huge.

I tried to:

• Reset the workplace

• Reset the UI scalling

• Uninstall and Install again InDesign 2020 (While removing UI Preferences)

• Restart PC

Nothing has worked.

The only solution that seems to work as of right now is to downgrade to 2019.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Needing a smaller swatches panel (minimum 1 line, not 2 lines)

Context : On most of my documents, with few but very distinct colors, I'll often switch to "big thumbnails". It's easy to distinguish a color from a lighter or darker version.

But then, when the panel could displays two lines of swatches, I would only need one (see linked file), freeing a lot of screen space.

Except the minimum size of that panel doesn't go under 2 lines, when 1 would be enough.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please change one word in the German Indesign

The German Word "Abstände" is used two times in the paragraph style panel but with two completely different meanings.

First use "Einzüge und Abstände" is in English "Indents and Spacing".

Second use "Abstände" is in English "Justification".

Please change the second one to "Blocksatz" or "Blocksatzeinstellungen" so that the German users will not be confused anymore.

Or contact a German speaking InDesign pro user for a better translation.

Just a small change to make a lot of (German speaking) people happy!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

7. In Japanese version, "Column" is incorrectly translated as "列" instead of "段"

InDesign 15.0.1
    There are at least eight places where "Column" should be translated as "段" in the Japanese version, but "列".
    Please see the list on the next page along with the Japanese version of the screen capture.
    https://cs5.xyz/blog/2020/02/indesigntextcolumn.html

日本語版で"Column"を"段"と訳すべきところ、"列"と訳されているところが少なくとも8箇所あります。
    次のページに日本語版の画面キャプチャとともにリストアップしましたので見てください。
    https://cs5.xyz/blog/2020/02/indesigntextcolumn.html

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. home

Delete the new "home button" (located next to the "file" button) in Indesign, or turn it into an optional feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please make Adobe App Shortcuts compatible with Antivirus/Adware/Security software

I suddenly was seeing the "Space Bar Won't enable Hand Tool" problem that's been a plague for years. A few weeks ago, I installed AdGuard for Safari and Mac. I've been happy with it's ad blocking - but this was the culprit for the problem of the Space Bar not invoking the Hand Too, AND for Command+Space not invoking zoom. I've turned off the helpful ad blocker, and I can use my Adobe Apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign were all affected).
    After all these years, PLEASE fix these apps so that our computers can remain usable and safe while still having…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Change font without changing style

Assume that I have selected some text which contains instances of bold, italic, or other "styles" (not INDD "styles," but variations of a typeface within a specific font family).

In previous versions of InDesign, I used to be able to change the typeface of the selected text, and maintain all instances of bold, italic, etc. In newer versions of InDesign, this is only possible when I navigate to the new font family by scrolling through the menu; when I search for a font family, I am presented with only the specific members of the family, not the family itself. This…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

12. Bring back title bar icons from CC 2018

Those were so handy, why have they been removed? There is plenty of space on the title bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Text frame rules dialog

To Adobe:

do you find the color drop-down in the insert column rules dialog wide enough?

The whole contour group box is not perfectly arranged...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. CMD+O (Open File Dialog) Doesn't work after new 15.0 and 15.0.2 releases.

CMD+O no longer opens the "Open File Dialog" upon first entering InDesign after launch. Once you open a file thru the Menu, CMD+O starts working properly.

This was an issue in a previous version release, and now it has turned up again in this latest release.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. screen mode button is gone

Screen mode button has been removed from tool bar and there's no way to add it back in MUST HAVE SCREEN MODE BUTTON IN TOP TOOLBAR where it has always been in the past.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. number input white

When trying to input a specific value for any number field, it's just white and won't reflect anything I type or reflect the change when I hit return.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Easy-Access On/Off Toggle Needed for "Use Typographer's Quotes"

I create and edit spec sheets that use lots of "typographer's quotes" and "non-typographer's quotes" AKA "inch marks." Having "use typographer's quotes" turned OFF allows me to type an "inch mark."

So I constantly have to open preferences to turn typographer's quotes OFF to create inch marks in my dimensions charts, then turn it back ON to use typographer's quotes in my paragraphs.

Adding a quick-access toggle for typographer's quotes, or even including a shortcut to type the opposite kind of quotation mark would be helpful and save time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. interface is too big....

1080p, 125% screen setting is in use. (laptop)

Too big an interface for me. Photoshop or illustrator is displayed normally.

But the InDesign interface is too big.

InDesign Version : 2020.0.2
    Steps to Reproduce a Problem: 1080p, 125%
    Actual Result: Interface Abnormally Large

*screenshot including

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. jittery cursor

My Indesign cursor flickers and is jittery when I have Photoshop running in the background. I'm running Catalina 10.15.4 on a 27" iMac Retina 5K. Never experienced this problem before this week.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base