Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

44 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. Please change one word in the German Indesign

The German Word "Abstände" is used two times in the paragraph style panel but with two completely different meanings.

First use "Einzüge und Abstände" is in English "Indents and Spacing".

Second use "Abstände" is in English "Justification".

Please change the second one to "Blocksatz" or "Blocksatzeinstellungen" so that the German users will not be confused anymore.

Or contact a German speaking InDesign pro user for a better translation.

Just a small change to make a lot of (German speaking) people happy!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

3. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

4. Please make Adobe App Shortcuts compatible with Antivirus/Adware/Security software

I suddenly was seeing the "Space Bar Won't enable Hand Tool" problem that's been a plague for years. A few weeks ago, I installed AdGuard for Safari and Mac. I've been happy with it's ad blocking - but this was the culprit for the problem of the Space Bar not invoking the Hand Too, AND for Command+Space not invoking zoom. I've turned off the helpful ad blocker, and I can use my Adobe Apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign were all affected).
    After all these years, PLEASE fix these apps so that our computers can remain usable and safe while still having…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Text frame rules dialog

To Adobe:

do you find the color drop-down in the insert column rules dialog wide enough?

The whole contour group box is not perfectly arranged...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. screen mode button is gone

Screen mode button has been removed from tool bar and there's no way to add it back in MUST HAVE SCREEN MODE BUTTON IN TOP TOOLBAR where it has always been in the past.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Media panel gone HUGE

So, after running in a while on the new Adobe 2020 app, I noticed that the Media panel started to grow in size each time I opened the tab. Before I could notice, the Media panel was absolutely huge.

I tried to:

• Reset the workplace

• Reset the UI scalling

• Uninstall and Install again InDesign 2020 (While removing UI Preferences)

• Restart PC

Nothing has worked.

The only solution that seems to work as of right now is to downgrade to 2019.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.

2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.

3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the app gains keyboard…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. sample buttons and forms

The 'Sample buttons and forms' window automatically pops up when I start InDesign. Indesign starts with the workspace 'Start'. I resetted my workspace and the window still was there. Then I removed the window, saved my workspace again and it seems to be solved.
    I am not the only one with this problem:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/indesign/comments/d1s9yf/samplebuttonsformswindowautomaticallypopsup/

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. pages panel

Hi, when I have the Pages panel open and add a few pages or spreads, I can't see the numbers of the final pages, they're hidden by a blank panel. Could someone please look into this or provide a workaround. Screen shot attached.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bug: Text wrap above/below, left/right buttons reveresed

When I assign text wrap to an object and unlink above/below, left/right settings... if I click the arrow to increase top wrap disctance, it changes the right setting on the object, the bottom arrow changes the left. What should be the Left setting, changes the Top setting on the object, etc... since latest update (15.0.1 x64, Windows 10)... looks like the icons in the widget are on the wrong settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. UI SCALING ISSUE ON 4K DISPLAY ... TOO SMALL!!

As I'm sure you're aware by now, the tools and menu links in InDesign are way too small when displayed on a 4K screen. I've just installed CC on a new Dell XPS 15 7590 with 4K LCD screen with default Windows scaling setting of 250%, which works fine for all the Adobe apps I use (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Acrobat) except InDesign. PLEASE FIX!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Longtime UI spelling error "Centre"

Why is it that for many years now the spelling of "Centre" (as in: Centre Justify) has not yet been fixed in the Windows versions of InDesign? The MacOS versions are correct.

"Centre" is "re" when used in "Shopping Centre".
    Center is "er" when used in the middle of something, such as Alignment.

All of your other products properly use "Center" ... but, for whatever reason, InDesign (including the latest CC 2020) for Windows has failed to fix this.

Please keep in mind that it's fixed on the MacOS versions. Thus, it MUST be considered an inconsistency and a bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Tabbing through values doesn't work on certain panels

When you press tab on, say the colour palette to input values in CMYK, the tab button instead of highlighting the next field ready for your input instead often places the cursor after the value you wish to amend which is frustrating and slows my workflow down. It's done this for years to be fair.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. selection of diacritic characters such as trop in Hebrew is a disaster

I don’t know what you guys were thinking in 2020, but the selection of Hebrew diacritics, vowels and trop is extremely difficult. You have done it sensibly since InDesign 1.5 ME about 20 years ago! Why did you change it in 2020?

This needs to be fixed fast!

Here is a video explaining the problem: http://somup.com/cqX1Q9f6hD

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Change font without changing style

Assume that I have selected some text which contains instances of bold, italic, or other "styles" (not INDD "styles," but variations of a typeface within a specific font family).

In previous versions of InDesign, I used to be able to change the typeface of the selected text, and maintain all instances of bold, italic, etc. In newer versions of InDesign, this is only possible when I navigate to the new font family by scrolling through the menu; when I search for a font family, I am presented with only the specific members of the family, not the family itself. This…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Wrong translation of “rule” in Czech version of InDesign 2020

Please stop using Google Translate to translate Adobe UI to Czech language.

The new feature Column Rules is translated into Czech language as Regulations for Columns! (Pravidla pro sloupce) This is totally wrong! It should read “Linky mezi sloupci” (lines in between columns). Also the word “linie” is wrong, it is not used by designers. You should use “linka” as it is already in use in other UI dialogs in InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Can't open dropdown menu's

1. Indesign 15.01

2. Click on top menu item

3. Dropdown menu is opened

4. Mouse is constantly showing loading symbol and Dropdown menu doesn't open even after a few seconds

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Right swiping a hyperlink and then right clicking produces inconsistent context menu

Hi there,

If I have a hyperlink as plain text and then highlight it, then right-click the area, I sometimes get an option to turn it into a hyperlink and other times I get the spell checker menu with not such option.

It would be good if the option to turn text into a hyperlink was always visible when you right-clicked highlighted text. I have dynamic spell checking turned on.

Kind regards
    Mike H

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base