How can we improve InDesign?

InDesign 2018 USER INTERFACE STILL TOO SMALL!

Over the years I (and others) have requested that the UI of InDesign be scalable. As designers, our eyes navigate us thru the creative process.
IT IS NOT EASY to readily decipher palettes and menus which sport MICROSCOPIC TYPE on a 28-inch, high-resolution monitor.
It IMPEDES workflow if one is spending extra time trying to find and choose things on the interface.
At least give us a choice! Smaller, Medium, Large, Extra-large.

When will Adobe get this??????

59 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michèle Berezowsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Linda Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

COME ON Adobe!!! The InDesign 2019 UI is still not adjustable?!?!? I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet. This is ridiculous; I have to put my nose to the monitor to read any of the settings or menus, or see the tools on my 27" iMac. I spend long hours every day (and big bucks every month!) working in serious discomfort because of this. Illustrator has fixed this issue - why not InDesign? WHY?!?!?! Does Adobe not care at all about the users of their products?

• ERice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there still no fix for this? I recently updated my INDD CC 2019/PC Win 10 and it's even smaller than before. I have tried all fixes here including going to the .exe file (those options don't come up for me), windows display settings/resolution and UI scaling in the software. Are there any other fixes out there from users or ADOBE perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any information.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is excruciating not to have specific control over the font size of the user interface, especially since so many of us are using large high-resolution monitors. Using Apple's accessibility Zoom tool is an awkward additional step every time one want to grab a tool or make a change. The only other reasonable option is to reduce the resolution of the monitor. That's not why we buy high resolution monitors for desktop publishing.

• G Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a graphic designer and educator, but I am also visually impaired. I hope that the CC 2019 UI scaling options that are in Illustrator will be soon available with InDesign... I have found it progressively difficult to use InDesign as monitor resolutions increase and the size of icons and text decrease.

Now it looks blured! But Photosho looks perfect!
    http://joxi.ru/GrqKNwPTQjNWY2

to tried this to get scale what I want:
    1- Go to c:\\program files\adobe\adobe indesign cc 201x.
    2- Rhight-click InDesign.exe >> Properties >> Compatibility >> Change high DPI settings:
    3- Tick “Use the setting to fix scaling …”
    4- From the drop-down list, choose “I open …”
    5- Tick “Override high DPI scaling behavior …”
    6- From the drop-down list, choose “system”
    7- Press “OK”.

But it's blured.. «Let Windows try to fix apps so they are not blurry, Select ON» — didn't help

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny how I have the same issue on this website. I ended up zooming is as text is tiny but you can't do that in software. I have the same issue in Bridge also, it's a pain.

Blender (free software, http://www.blender.org) allows you a massive amount of control over the appearance and scale of the interface, you can set the scale of fonts by the pixel (11, 12, 13 px, etc.) and change interface colours with even themes which can be saved or used so why can't expensive commercial Adobe software have the same?

• Bader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
    I tried the following:
    1- Go to c:\\program files\adobe\adobe indesign cc 201x.
    2- Rhight-click InDesign.exe >> Properties >> Compatibility >> Change high DPI settings:
    3- Tick “Use the setting to fix scaling …”
    4- From the drop-down list, choose “I open …”
    5- Tick “Override high DPI scaling behavior …”
    6- From the drop-down list, choose “system”
    7- Press “OK”.

It worked for the menu and UI. However, the cursor size remained small.
    I’m using CC2019 on Win10.

I hope that help you, as well.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Adobe are looking for some half-way points:
    - Stroke selector for tables is impossibly thin to click (it takes me about 2-3 clicks for every single row/column)
    - Reference point selector is better than before, but still very small
    - Gradient controller handles have always been a nightmare, this is more than a little bit broken. Especially when trying to drag off (remove) a handle.
    - Grabbing frame edges (especially right vertical centre) often prevented by other UI feature overlays.)

• keepmepostd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I seem to have found a fix for the tiny interface issue, well for me anyway.
    I use a DELL XPS15 with Windows 10.
    Go to Settings, choose Display and click on Advanced scaling settings.
    See where it says: Let Windows try to fix apps so they are not blurry, Select ON
    Restart InDesign and it looks perfect.

Its frustrating that a company that is supposed to be a leader in design has so poor UI design.
    I would also add that its about time that Indesign adopted Photoshop UI design where everything seems to be much more polished.

Its 2018 guys and you cannot still have a unique UI in 3-4 most professional (and expensive!) design apps in the world!

Its a pitty, until CS6 everything was much better looking!

• Wishe Ehward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Teddio Poieam Scale to Higher/Lower is either too big or too small!!! There's no in between! :(

• tired eyes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is killing me I cant READ this tiny text!!!!
    the interface text is WAY too small x_x .... gosh I wish they let us customize it or jsu tmake it readable damn!!

• Olivander12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a new CC subscription and it is very frustrating to have such a small UI on a 4K-Display. Especially since all other CC apps (besides Illustrator) scale totally fine. Hope they fix that issue soon.

• Joe Scannell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen to this. We should also have the option of omitting icons we seldom use, to make more room for the (larger) ones we do. Scalable and user-defined toolbars. Period.

Feedback and Knowledge Base