1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show version number in Windows

The version number is always visible in the top of the application window on MacOS since CC 2018. However it is not present in the Windows version of InDesign or InCopy.

This is a great tool when you are troubleshooting and I would love to see it in the Windows versions as well.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Wait until I've pressed OK in Step and Repeat before popping up the "Out of Bounds" warning

When using step and repeat, the first thing you enter is the Count. But the distance values are from the last transformation, so sometimes the value there and the Count you enter trigger the "out of bounds" warning when you press tab to exit the "Count" field and move on to the distances. Yes yes, I know, but I haven't had a chance to fill out the new distance yet.

So I then have to tab over to the distances, adjust those, and shift+tab back to the count. Why must I get a popup stopping me when I haven't actually…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Don't activate name field of a highlighted style on first click

Expected: I highlight several styles, click and drag them to the new position.
    Actual: I highlight several styles, click, but the click activates the name field of the style I have clicked on, meaning I can't drag them. I need to click again outside the name field to deselect the field, then drag them.

This could be fixed by changing the behaviour slightly: activate the name field if you click on the text, but don't activate it if you click the blank space to the right of the name (allowing you to drag the order around on the first click).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Save dialog filename box width

For the love of mercy, PLEASE make the Save/Save As title dialog box widen with the window! I almost never have enough room to see the full filename, which means it takes additional clicks/keypresses to see the end.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Save INDD file in previous version INDD (e.g. CC 2019 can save in CC 2018)

It would be great if InDesign can save INDD file in previous version INDD (e.g. CC 2019 can save in CC 2018). Yes, I know about IDML but it's not exactly what I need.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Removal/editing of the dumb "When in doubt, make a layout" line.

God, that's such a stupid thing to see every time I open InDesign. How about a checkbox for "Hide greeting message"?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Show Ink Manager settings in the Swatches panel

Show Ink Manager settings in the Swatches panel

Whenever we use Ink Manager to convert spot colors to process colors (1) or define one spot color as alias for another (2), this should be visualized in the Swatches panel so whoever edits the INDD can immediately spot (ha!) that changes have been made and fix them if needed (instead of shedding tears over inexplicable output results).

(1) Replace the spot icon by a “ink-managed” process icon that can be distinguished from the “native” process icon.

(2) Replace the spot icon by the alias icon from the Ink Manager dialog.
    Make…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. FULL SCREEN WORK MODE

Much needed is a full screen work mode, which will be the same as "Normal" mode, but will hide the window borders and menus.
    Same thing as what happens in Photoshop when you hit F or in Lightroom when you hit ****+F

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Animated InDesign icon in Apple Doc

When I print documents on a laser printer using the menu item "Print", the InDesign program icon in the Apple Doc is animated. You can see exactly what the progress is with an animated bar. It would be great if this animated progress bar could also be seen when exporting to PDF. Also as the sum of all background processes. THANK YOU!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign book file (.INDB) total page count

If you're making a book using a book file (.INDB), the InDesign Book file panel should have a total page count. Sometimes the page count is not accurate, especially if you have frontmatter to a book that uses roman numerals and start with 1 later in the book. It would be nice if the absolute total number of pages showing somewhere on that panel. We publish books and have to stick to strict signature breaks for presses, so total page count is very important information to us, and it'd be nice to quickly get that information instead of having to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Custom Commands with Custom Shortcuts to Keyboard Shortcuts Menu

There are certain actions that I'd like to create shortcuts for, but the commands for them aren't listed in the Keyboard Shortcut Menus. For example, setting a keyboard shortcut for the various aligning objects. Aligning text is an option, though. Not what I need.

Everyone's workflow is different. There are commands that I'll just never use. So, freeing up individuals with the ability to create custom commands, which can be suited to their unique workflow would immensely help individual/company productivity. Custom workspaces exist, custom keyboard shortcut sets exist, let's have custom commands too!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Column view for index panel

Column view for index panel would be very convenient when working with large indexes. With this feature a large index could be edited and viewed on an external monitor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. option to edit the actual colour of a panel itself...useful for easily locating a favourite eg or currently in-use pane on a crowded screen

I am suggesting it would be good to have the option to be able to edit the actual colour of a panel itself which would be very useful for easily locating a favourite or currently in-use panel on a crowded screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Links in Properties Panel

The new Properties Panel is great, but the very first thing I noticed when selecting a linked file, It only states that it's a "Linked File"... But you cannot click or edit your linked file, like in Illustrator?? Isn't this the whole purpose behind the PropPanel - to make quick edits all in one panel? Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Scale pages thumbnail size by width of of panel

Sometimes I need to reference other pages in the doc I'm working on. It would be helpful if the pages panel adjusted the size of the thumbnail based on the width of the window. The Panel Options sizes don't offer enough versatility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Indesign CC: PDF Export dialog - start with highlighted range entry field - like you used to

Indesign CS6 used to start with a conveniently highlighted pages entry field. Opening the export dialog you were right away able to type in the desired page range. In CC you have to tripple-TAB to that field, which is a mild but unnecessary deterioration.

Thanks if you fix this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. show import highlighted pdf comments with different color than H&J violations

When you import PDF comments that are highlighted text, they appear in the layout with the same color/treatment as text marked by checking Preferences: Composition: Highlight: H&J violations. These should be visually differentiatable from one another.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make "Notes" icons easier to see in layout view

It would be helpful to have an option to highlight the "Notes" icons in the layout when people want to see where they are located. They are often almost impossible to see and need the palette to be navigable. An option called "Highlight Notes in Layout" possibly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Properties Panel - reintroduce spinners - and photoshops mousedrag controls

Indesign CC2019 (oct):

The old control panel had up-/down spinners for each transform input box. In the new properties panel the spinners are missing, probably for a slimmer width of the panel. That's bad, they were handy and we are all used to them, especially for shift-clicking to scale/move in increments.

Please put them back.

Idea: please also make the _icons_ of input boxes behave like Photoshops inputs, that you can mouse-drag to increase/decrase values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base