1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. User defined Indesign Preview Page

When starting Indesign, you get shown a lightbox of recent files with a preview image. It would be great to be able to user define one page in your document to be the preview image, as sometimes, the first page is not the best to be used to make the difference.

In my screen capture image, selecting page 3 as the preview image would be more distinguishable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow designers to modify styles without closing the options panel

Currently, if a designer needs to modify multiple styles (Paragraph, Character, ...), designers needs to close and reopen the options panel for each stye.

Please allow users to edit multiple styles, without closing the options panel. Example: In the options panel, add a pulldown menu containing the style names, allowing users to switch fast between styles.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Manage Recent Files List - It's useless if you run a Book operation!

The Recent Files list gets FILLED UP with chapter files if I run a Book operation. All my other projects get pushed off the list, even though all I did was re-paginate a book. This makes the Recents list useless! Please fix this!

The Recent Files list MUST BE MANAGEABLE if it is to be useful. Files get "touched" for very trivial reasons, sometimes just to look at something in the file. This results in an almost random listing of Recents. Please understand how a Recents list can be useful -- don't just blindly list files by "changed date".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Content aware fitting should not apply to placed images in a document

'Content aware fitting' conflicts with checkbox 'autofill'-preference in application-bar.
    I assumed content aware fitting would only apply on newly placed images.
    When I want to relink an earlier placed image with content aware fitting 'ON' the relinked image is auto fitted in a way I don't want.
    The mention check-box would be ideal to let InDesign know I don't want to fit contant aware after the initial placing of content.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. User Interface flexibility

I would like to see the ability to choose the older interface layout with the menus placed on the top vs the side. With each new design, it is a learning experience in finding the tools necessary to do the tasks needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Panel resizing when bottom of panel isn't visible

When working on a laptop and switching from external monitor to built-in display, I have less vertical pixel space. As a result, floating panels that were full-length on the external monitor are now too long for the laptop display. Unfortunately, there is no way to resize a floating panel when the bottom of a panel isn't visible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Downloading Workspaces

I have a personal account with custom workspaces. I would like to be able to I go to work for someone else in their office, using their account, and easily download my workspaces from the Cloud. This feature request is for all Adobe apps, not just InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Preference setting for "Preview" switch in dialog boxes

I am wishing for a preference to switch on all the dialog box *Preview* switches in ALL InDesign dialog boxes; such as especially the Paragraph Styles dialog box, the Character Styles dialog box, the Text Frame Options dialog box, etc...

Everytime I upgrade InDesign or sit in front of another classroom computer, I have to switch these on one at a time. I would love to streamline that.

Mike Witherell, ACP
    mikewitherell@jetsetcom.net

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Story editor fonts

Many font families cannot be used, at least not to their full, in the story editor—despite the font family clearly having italic, bold and bold italic faces available. This limitation includes many fonts available through Adobe Fonts (formerly Typekit) as well as a great many non-Adobe fonts.

As best I can tell the limitation is due to these fonts not having the macStyle bits for italic and bold being set appropriately in the font itself.

What I envision is for the story editor preferences to have a way to separately specify the fonts to use for regular, italic, bold and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. InDesign 2018 USER INTERFACE STILL TOO SMALL!

Over the years I (and others) have requested that the UI of InDesign be scalable. As designers, our eyes navigate us thru the creative process.
    IT IS NOT EASY to readily decipher palettes and menus which sport MICROSCOPIC TYPE on a 28-inch, high-resolution monitor.
    It IMPEDES workflow if one is spending extra time trying to find and choose things on the interface.
    At least give us a choice! Smaller, Medium, Large, Extra-large.

When will Adobe get this??????

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to add color labels to individual styles to better organize and manage large lists of styles

Similar to how pages can be labeled with a color (also see layer colors in Photoshop).

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "Accept" to convert PDF underline to Italics

Editors use underline to indicate Italics when they mark up PDFs. While the underline shows up when you import PDF comments, there's no way to change that text to Italics.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Application retain windown size and position

On open, have InDesign's application window return to the size and position it was in when the application was last closed. The way Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc..., do when they are closed and then reopened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Stop making the CC Libraries the default!!!!!!!

I am sick and tired of the Library panel popping open because there are embedded defaults that make EVERY new thing I make think it needs to be added to the cc library.

I DON"T WANT TO USE THEM AS DEFAULT!!!!

If I want to use them I will decide.,

STOP MAKING IT THE DEFAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Actions Panel

An Actions Panel that runs the same type of Recording/Playing features as Photoshop and Illustrator already have would be fantastic.

161 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Kindly provide more information about this ask. How do you plan to use the Action Panel in InDesign? Do you want it to work exactly like that in Photoshop? What are the most important actions/operations that you want to record?

Thanks
    Abhinav Agarwal
    Product Manger – InDesign

17. Display progress bar for long operations

When working with a big document, there are many operations that take a very long time. For example, generating a TOC, deleting pages that cause text to reflow, etc. Tasks that happen almost instantly with reasonably sized documents can take many minutes when we get into 500+ pgs.

Currently we only see a spinning beachball (mac) when we get stuck in a long task. There's no way to determine whether it's just going to take a long time, or if indesign is completely locked up. The system sees it as "application not responding," but a lot of times patience pays…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Workspace

Please can there be an option to export a workspace, like Swatches and Paragraph styles? Every time with the new update, we have to take 30min to rebuild our workspaces. It would take so much less time to just load our workspace we are used to.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Search for missing links

When links are broken on our shared server, I manually need to type the name of the link to begin a search for it. Some file names are very complicated. It would be nice if the link name was already written in the input field or even better a button in the links panel that searches for the link and replaces it. Most often the link has just changed place on the server but has the same name.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Removal/editing of the dumb "When in doubt, make a layout" line.

God, that's such a stupid thing to see every time I open InDesign. How about a checkbox for "Hide greeting message"?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base