When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. UI – Some Buttons are missing InDesign CC 2020 (OS X)

Hello,

I’ve updated InDesign to the newest version 15.0 (InDesign CC 2020) on OS X.
    And some buttons in the top window border are missing like the percent and the GPU rocket.

Is it possible to put these back?! Or do I have to change it anywhere in the menu? Can’t find it.

Best
    Sascha

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

80 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The InDesign team appreciates your valuable feedback and concerns. These go a long way in helping us make InDesign better for you and update it continuously to cater to evolving user needs. The app bar design was changed as part of these improvement efforts, and will also help us in introducing some modern and exciting functionalities which we have been working on.

While doing this, we have taken care not to remove any existing functionalities which were available in the previous App Bar design. These have only been relocated – either grouped along with similar functionalities (based on results from our user research) or shifted to improve usability (to provide a consistent experience) while working across Creative Cloud apps, especially Photoshop (Ps) & Illustrator (Ai), which are frequently used by InDesign users. We do understand that it takes time & effort in adopting these but we sincerely hope that the…

2. 66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign forgets the maximized state of the window

Windows 10 here.
    When working in inDesign, I'm maximizing the window. However, when closing InDesign and opening again, the window isn't maximized. I have to maximize again. Maximizing every time I start InDesign has became annoying.
    It's a simple programmer task to keep the last state of the window when opening the application again...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. separate document preferneces from application preferences

Document related preferences should be accessible from "document setup" window, not from preferences panel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Revamp the OpenType UI

1. Revamp or build an OpenType Panel.

2. Teaching to use lower case #s (Old Style Figures), contributing to typographic awareness, etc. re https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/22/better-ui-for-better-typography-adobe-petition/

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Re-enable new folder keyboard shortcut when saving/exporting

In previous versions of ID when you saved or exported a file, you had the ability to create a new folder from the dialog window using the keyboard shortcut (cmd+shift+N). This stopped working sometime after the last couple of updates, but it still works when exporting/saving from Photoshop and Illustrator. It may seem like a small thing, but I spend a lot of time creating folders to export PDFs to and it's annoying to have to use the button now. Please add this back in a future update!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Save Preferences

For about 14/15 years I never had to reset preferences in InDesign.

Since CC2017 it's more or less once a week.
    Colors disappearing.. panels blind or empty.. tools not working.. font now showing.
    Panels self increasing size...

But it seems we have to deal with it, so we probably need a way to SAVE PREFERENCES.
    Save preferences in a moment everything work fine.. and restore it when (after just few days) nothing works anymore.

Every time people have to reset preferences, they have to restore everything. UI colors, workspace, Application Frame (that mac users normally never use) Old Dialog way…

201 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Improve UI Efficiency of Styles Panels

SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT—

The UI of the styles panels is way too spacious in some areas and, as a result, way too compressed in other ways.

The panels have to be stretched wider than they should just to read all the text.

Attached screenshot has a before-and-after with analysis and proposed redesign.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add HiDPI scaling for InDesign Mac OS

Please add scaling for UI and Tools for Mac version. I'm using an external 4K display so OS X system display scaling doesn't work as it does for Retina displays.. UI scaling in Illustrator works perfectly for me on my Mac, having this in InDesign would really be appreciated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fixing what was not broken?

Swatches Window:
    There is space at the bottom of the swatches menu to have buttons for the swatch types rather than grouping them into drop down menu. It takes more clicks and mousing around than it did in CS versions...

Same goes for Rotating spreads. I need to do this often - It used to be in the root of the pages menu, now it's nested under page attributes. Less efficient...
    A drop menu at the bottom of the pages window might make sense for this feature?

New CC Libraries menu... it looks nicer I guess but now I have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Pasteboard Options to Document Setup

It would be handy if Pasteboard Options could be set in the New Document/Document Setup window - OR - Pasteboard default size options could be set as a percentage of document size (so it will scale relative to doc size).

My default paste board size is fine for most jobs I do (which are generally brochures / flyers etc); but it is too small for working on large banners etc. I find I am changing the preferences all the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hierarchical styles in panels

Design the styles panels to show "based on" hierarchically. This way, we can trace back unused styles to their sources. I use a script to find "based on" for paragraph styles, but it would be better to visualize it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Toggle to turn off cursor frames and highlighted text when testing colors/fonts/strokes

Note: I'm still on Indesign 2019, so I don't know if this feature has already been added. If not, then:

Whenever I want to test different stroke colors on a picture with a border, I have to select it, which shows as cursor frame on top of the stroke (even in preview mode). Problem with this is that if the stroke is 1 or 2 points, it's hard to see the colors you're choosing because the cursor covers the stroke. So I would have to select the frame, change the color, de-select the frame to see how the stroke looks,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. specify which document contains errors

if you have to open more then one indd file, and some of this files have missing or modify links you get just this simple message. But you dont know which document contains missing links. and if i will open 10 files at once, a have go thru all this files to find out which file have missing links. I know i can use book and run preflight, but that is to much of work :)

Can you just add name of the file in to this message box? Like picture 03?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bring back Click-and-Drag character and paragraph interface

The scale scrubbers on the control panel/menus that allowed us to click and drag to adjust character size, tracking, line spacing, etc. were invaluable. It allowed us to see the changes as we were making them. Please bring them back! It takes me about eight times as long to lay out text now.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Home icon is a pain

Very often when I need to click on the File menu I clicking on the Home icon instead, which is useless for me and I'm going to the Home screen on InDesign instead of making the routine operations in File menu.

Can you move that Home icon somewhere else? For instance, can you move it after the Help menu or can you allow to change its position in Settings?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make an option for "freezing" document window during searches

Currently, when executing a series of finds, a document with spreads will jump around within a window, even if view is set to "fit spread in window," as described in this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/searching-a-file-in-indesign-causes-the-spread-to-jump-all-over-the-place/m-p/11118210?page=1#M185629

The expected behavior is that the page where the text is found should be centered on the page. That does not work with spreads. If panels are open on the side of the window, found text can frequently be hidden from view.

So I believe there is a bug with the expected behavior. But it would be even better than the expected behavior if there were a…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. We have an urgent need for the media controllers to return.

Currently the interactive PDF user has no way to replay/rewind/advance videos!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make Indesign UI bigger

People have been complaining for years about Indesign's hard to see UI and the inability to make adequate changes. Why is it 2020, and this issue is still unresolved? I shouldn't have to change my Windows UI to make it better, which by the way it doesn't. Attached pic of my display at the recommend UI setting of 250% on a 15 inch screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make Indesign UI bigger

People have been complaining for years about Indesign's hard to see UI and the inability to make adequate changes. Why is it 2020, and this issue is still unresolved? I shouldn't have to change my Windows UI to make it better, which by the way it doesn't. Attached pic of my display at the recommend UI setting of 250% on a 15 inch screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base