Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pair Kerning

There are many occasions where a specific pair of letters do not kern properly, such as ". I would like to be able to select the pair of letters from a particular font that I want kerned throughout an InDesign document, and have them automatically kerned. I don't want to have to apply a style to each instance, or find and replace each instance.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Grammar Check

Add a feature similar to the Grammarly App to check for grammar and sentence structure errors when typing text in InDesign.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Insert special character — Unicode compliance

Unicode is required to meet accessibility standards and several forms of publishing technologies.

The keyboard shortcuts and right-click/opt-click Insert Special Characters shortcuts need to be updated to insert the Unicode versions of these glyphs.

The Unicode glyph charts are at www.Unicode.org

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Find/Change "negatively" on a paragraph/character/object property (i.e., look for a style set to anything BUT 13pt)

It would be nice if find/change had to ability to search for everything BUT something. For example, if I had a style named "text" where the leading was defined as 13pt but I wanted to only find instances where the leading was NOT set the 13pt because of some local override. But these overrides might be 14pt or 15pt, but that would required 2 or more separate searches. I don't necessarily know how many paragraphs have been locally overridden from the set 13 unless I page through and look for each paragraph by sight. I realize the local Style Override…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. endnote renumbering

Please Please add a feature that allows endnotes to renumber with each section within the same document.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bigger - readable - fonts in Font Style menu! They're just too small!

Bigger - readable - fonts in Font Style menu! They're just too small!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Return the font list to as it was before the updates.

Please return the font list to as it was before the updates!

Every time I select a font and exit the font list it returns me to the top the next time I open it. Why would this be considered useful, it's cost me hours and hours since it was changed. It's like Adobe is deliberately sabotaging designers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow document to be editable while using "FIND FONT"

Add the ability to edit and interact with the underlying document while the FIND FONT window is open (just like we can do while the regular FIND/CHANGE window is open)

When FIND FONT is open, the ONLY thing we can do is locate/substitute fonts. We aren't able to interact with the document in any other way. Often while using FIND FONT to locate where missing fonts are used, we find that the issue is actually just some text that we forgot to style properly, or a rogue invisible character that should simply be deleted. But in order to accomplish any…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow import of endnotes as plain text

I have to be honest. The footnote / endnotes automation in Indesign is a complete failure. I absolutely HATE it!!! Please, allow me to turn this feature off, and import endnotes as plain text in the same text flow as the article. Seriously, the addition of the automated endnotes feature has damaged my relationship with Adobe. It is just terrible.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please allow font size larger than 1296 pt

I often have to create large posters with a single 3-digit price and 1296pt font isn't cutting it. I have to outline and then enlarge which is a pain when changes need to be made but it i also cannot standardize this element with a style, master page or template. Same for illustrator.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add a vertical type tool.

I'm a sign designer. I use AI and ID in tandem to output mass amounts of signs with variable copy (using data merge feature); such as unit IDs, where the numerals change. Sometimes the design of these include vertical type.

Not having a vertical type tool is crippling to my workflow, as I have to fumble my way through the type on a path option (which often doesn't space consistently, or do it manually.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Font list fly up menu

If you are using the Character window and you have text selected in your document, if you want to change that font, the fly up menu of fonts does NOT go back to the one you have selected. It starts back at the top with A fonts unlike Illustrator where the font list goes back to the one you have selected in your document. That way you can continue scrolling down to select the next font needed when you are trying to decide which font you want to use. See example attached. I need it to go back to the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. freeze hyphenation, like XPress earlier

10 Years ago. with Xpress 4.0, there was the option to freeze hyphenation.
    After you send a Version to the client, you can freeze the hyphenation and after that, only manually hyphenation and line breaks are common.
    Reason: Client wants other hyphenations or line breaks, after he becomes the next version, there are more new hyphenations followed by the next correction. And finaly, you have broken every line manually.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. live font

you need live font same photoshop and illustrator

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Started  ·  0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Replace all missing glyphs

Option in the find replace dialogue to replace all missing glyphs, not just swapping one glyph for another. As far as I know, you have to go one by one throughout a document. The find/replace Opentype feature (text tab hasn't worked for me either.)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A cross paragraph word count

A system by which one could simply and easily find out the total number of words in the document.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Keyboard shortcut for inserting Unicode glyphs

Accessibility and other forms of automated publishing require the correct Unicode glyphs.

These glyphs include punctuation, math/science symbols, foreign language characters, and bullets/symbols. In 2000, Unicode became the default character set worldwide across the technology industries.

But we have no way to easily insert these glyphs into InDesign layouts. For example, if I need the math multiplication symbol rather than a lower case "x", I need to either scroll through the glyph dialogue box, or know beforehand the symbol's codepoint 2715 and type it into the Unicode field in the glyph dialogue box.

Too slow! Especially when you have to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. text box handles: right side

Please put a handle on the righthand side of text boxes that is not hidden by either the "click to edit corners" yellow box or the text-thread button when the text box is vertically challenged, as it were. Sometimes I want a text box to maintain a specific height but need to pull it wider to the right. If the text box is tall enough, the righthand pull handle is easily accessible, but if the text box is short, there' no way to pull the box wider to the right without either making it taller or using one of the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base