Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to assign a shortcut to [None] in the Character Styles window.

Because you sometimes want to REMOVE a character style and it would be very beneficial to be able to use a shortcut for that as well.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add hanging punctuation for chevrons

Hanging punction is currently not working with chevrons (« ») – which are used in Germany, Spain, Italy, France & Norway. In Quark XPress this works perfectly with one click. I am a professional typographer and would like to have this issue fixed as soon as possible. Kind regards Egil Haraldsen

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Would like a feature that would set type flush left to the longest centered line

I often need to set poetry extracts in books so that they are flush left to the longest centered line in the extract—see attached examples. 

The workarounds a cumbersome and/or time consuming. 

It would be great if there was a setting to do this automatically.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow negative indentation!

Please allow negative indentation!

That would make all kinds of hanging bullets, chapter numbers and outdentations easy without any workaround (like "indent everything but the headlines and lists" ...). It would make text layout faster, purer and cleaner, as the type area could be correctly defined just for the copy text.

I think this simple change should be easy to implement and bring enormous relief for our craft.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Continuous numbering of footnotes and endnotes; endnotes to separate chapter

PLEASE add these features to the footnote and endnote functionality of InDesign:
    - Continuous numbering of footnotes and endnotes throughout the various indd files within a book document
    - Ability to put the endnotes of the different indd files within a book document in a separate .indd file at the end of the book; numbering continuous OR per chapter.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. MathML Support

We need to have InDesign to support MathML, this is much awaited feature, but not supporting in InDesign yet.

Currently we're using 3rd party plugins such as MathType, MathTools, PowerMath, etc. but not meeting our expectation, also high license cost than InDesign.

@ALL: Please support to include this feature in InDesign in the very near release.

252 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Can you please fix the font scrolling issue? When scrolling through fonts it jumps back to the top of the font list

Can you please fix the font scrolling issue? When scrolling through fonts it jumps back to the top of the font list. It never used to do this in previous versions.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

9. 32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Insert special character — Unicode compliance

Unicode is required to meet accessibility standards and several forms of publishing technologies.

The keyboard shortcuts and right-click/opt-click Insert Special Characters shortcuts need to be updated to insert the Unicode versions of these glyphs.

The Unicode glyph charts are at www.Unicode.org

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Diagonal strike through text

Please allow designers to use diagonal strike through text.

Designer should be able to ...
    - Set the trike through line for single a text selection
    - Define this in a paragraph style
    - Use it as a property in a script
    - choose a direction (top left to bottom right / Bottom left to upper right)
    - define a line thickness and color
    - choose to only display a part of the line below and on top of the text

Thanks

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow bullets and numbers to hang outside of the text frame

There is currently no way to make a bullet or number hang outside of a text frame properly. The "optical margin alignment" feature control is iffy at best.

Attached are two photos that show what I mean.

In the first example, the "Correct" green bullets are not achievable in InDesign unless every other paragraph except for the bulleted paragraph has an additional positive left indent on all of its lines. It would be so much easier if we could just add a negative left indent to the first line of the bulleted paragraphs.

In the second example, a document that…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Character palette dropdown menu needs to expand full within workspace (revised post)

Apologies, but I posted this before but forgot to include screen grabs. In InDesign CC 2018 when I selected a typeface from the character window drop-down menu, the drop-down expanded to fill my workspace vertically no matter where my character palette was on the screen. Now in CC 2019 it only expands to show 19 or 20 fonts in a much smaller drop-down window. I would love either to go back to the way it was before or have the option to enlarge the drop-down typeface selection window.

See the difference between CC 2018 and 2019 in the screen shots.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. To implement the Advanced Composition Engine font technollogy

Advanced Composition Engine is a technology far superior than OTF and TTF so it would be a great engine to use within Adobe products. Not just for Arabic and eastern script but for every possible script. It is 2019 so let's get our options to max level.

You can read about Advanced Composition Engine at this article:

https://medium.com/@zlatansalkic/decotypes-advanced-composition-engine-dc22a9cbd912

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keyboard shortcut for inserting Unicode glyphs

Accessibility and other forms of automated publishing require the correct Unicode glyphs.

These glyphs include punctuation, math/science symbols, foreign language characters, and bullets/symbols. In 2000, Unicode became the default character set worldwide across the technology industries.

But we have no way to easily insert these glyphs into InDesign layouts. For example, if I need the math multiplication symbol rather than a lower case "x", I need to either scroll through the glyph dialogue box, or know beforehand the symbol's codepoint 2715 and type it into the Unicode field in the glyph dialogue box.

Too slow! Especially when you have to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Corners option fill default to 0p

Whenever I create a new text box, I get the default of outline set to 1p. I always forget to change this, and in editing have to go back and remove all these boxes from picturs, etc. This wastes a lot of time. Have not found where I can set this, saving a changed empty doc does not seem to work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Filter by font style

In the filter section of the font live preview, please give us to option to select normal vs. italic to further reduce the number of options shown. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Don't add an extra page when endnotes are imported

The new endote option is nice (could be better, but hey, it's something). The only thing that bugs me is the fact that a new page is added everytime I place text that contains endnotes, or when I copy/paste that text.

It screws up much of my design, and I have to manually delete the page and put everything back in it's right place.

Would be great if the endnote frame would just be placed on the same page as the end of the text flow!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base