When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RTL support in Adobe Composer (not Adobe World-Ready Composer)

Adobe's Ready World Composer is designed to provide a solution for RTL languages, such as Hebrew and Arabic. But lots of InDesign features don't work at all. (OpenType by Frame, Flush Space, Optical Margin Aligment and more ...)
    Instead of fixing this composer, I suggest that the regular composer also will support RTL writing.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

25 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove first line indent after a heading

We need an option to set First Line Indent to zero when a paragraph follows a heading.

For example, perhaps you have Head1, Head2, and BodyText. Head2 is based on Head1. BodyText has a first line indent. My suggestion is that InDesign should have a checkbox labeled "Set first line indent to zero when following:" and then provide a list of paragraph styles in the document.

You could either allow people to choose Head1 AND Head2 (multiple selection list), or you could allow them to choose Head1 and it would automatically apply to Head2 because that is based on Head1.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Alert When Missing Fonts are Replaced with Enabled Adobe Fonts

When working in a packaged file workflow, where Adobe Fonts are not and cannot used, if there is a missing font that a user might already have enabled in Adobe Fonts, InDesign makes a font replacement with no warning.

There is an alert to activate missing fonts, but no warning if missing fonts are already activated in the user's system. I’m not sure if you could limit this to: If there is a Document fonts folder present, then there should be an alert before fonts are replaced with Adobe Font versions. This should not effect if fonts are enabled in…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Full-width space is treated the same as Kanji

I've been using InDesign in a Japanese environment and have long been frustrated by the lack of distinction between kanji and double-byte spaces.
    When you want to select consecutive Kanji by double-clicking (or command + → etc.), adjacent double-byte spaces (0x3000) will be selected together.
    When you receive an unsatisfactory text manuscript, double-clicking a wasted double-byte space will select the adjacent kanji together.
    I can't imagine the single benefit of this specification. It's just inconvenient.
    I would like you to improve this.
    I hope you will get the approval of everyone. Thank you.

<Japanese>
    私はInDesignを日本語環境で使用していて、漢字と全角スペースの区別がついていないことを長年不満に思っています。
    ダブルクリック(あるいはcommand + →など)で連続した漢字を選択したいとき、隣接する全角スペース(0x3000)が一緒に選択されてしまう。
    美しくないテキスト原稿を受け取ったとき、無駄な全角スペースをダブルクリックすると隣接する漢字まで一緒に選択されてしまう。
    この仕様について、ただ1つのメリットも想像できません。ただ不便なだけです。 …

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Refine "No Break" by providing suboptions

While hyphenation preferences can be refined at the Paragraph (style) level, Character (style) options only provide a boolean “No Break” attribute which prevents line breaks whatever the location of the text in the layout.

Note, for example, that “Hyphenate Across Column” is available as a paragraph option while the user may actually want to turn on/off column breaks from within a character style. The “No Break” attribute is then too harsh, since it fully disallows line breaking.

Suppose a ITEMS character style is associated to proper names or book titles. We may want to allow regular line breaking for these…

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to disable missing-font notification

Please add an option in the preferences that enables the user to ignore missing fonts when opening a document. It's possible to disable notification of missing images -- please do the same for fonts.

Reason: I often get documents from customers and don't have the fonts. Dismissing the dialogs that tell me that the document I'm opening contains missing fonts gets tedious. I easily dismiss the dialogs dozens and dozens of times.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Changing the Language of Placeholder Text

If you want to change the 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐱𝐭 to a different language, you need to:
    1. Click 𝐓𝐲𝐩𝐞
    2. Hold down the 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 (Mac) or 𝐂𝐓𝐑𝐋 (PC) key
    3. Then click 𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐱𝐭
    4. 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 appears

That's four steps.

A simpler way would be to add under 𝐓𝐲𝐩𝐞 before 𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐱𝐭:
    𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐎𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 >
    Cyrillic
    Roman
    Greek
    Hebrew
    Arabic
    Japanese
    Korean
    Simplified Chinese
    Traditional Chinese

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Different line lengths with paragraph shading

Paragraph shading is great but even if you choose to set it to text instead of column, the length of each line is the same for all lines of the paragraph (the longest one). It would be great to have the ability to set it according to the length of each line. For now, you have to use paragraph rules wit a hard return at the end of each line.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Include possibility to switch writing direction for Hebrew and Arabic in all language versions, not just the ME one.

I am using the Swedish version of InDesign CC and sometimes need to be able to write in Hebrew. But the possibility to change writing direction is only available in the Middle Eastern version, which changes all menus and panels into English. I want to be able to keep all menus and panels in Swedish, but still be able to switch writing direction for Hebrew (and Arabic). I suggest that you include this possibility in all language versions, not just the ME one, so that the original local language can still be used in the user interface.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. A customisable list of acronyms and words that the program can be made to use

I know that there is the ability to use a user dictionary which I use, but it would be nice if there was a exceptions list to put works in that would stop the autocorrect trying to change them or if they are put in - incorrectly they are changed to the right version. For example ISO seems to end up as Iso or ISo even though its been added to the user dictionary and Auto correct and There are some American words that I have to use as they are product related - Customization rather than customisation. Also to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Full support to Mongolian vertical LTR and reading its font open type feature to combine characters

Full support to Mongolian vertical LTR and reading its font open type feature to combine characters. Currently using Mongolian Baiti or Noto Sans Mongolian fonts the characters in the words do not connect to the correct initial, medial or final forms. Only isolated forms are displayed. We tried any current settings but the characters do not combine. Is there a function to do this? We have not found any plug-ins so far. Perhaps it could be that the open type tables are not read which may be one reason for this. See the attached IndDesign file

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Glyph preference

Hello,

I've encountered a problem where a client is requesting all glyphs for the letter 'g' be changed to an alternate glyph within the same typeface.

Whilst style and GREP methods might work, a method to be able to quickly change the default primary glyph within a set would be amazing.

Currently I can see a small triangle in the corner of the primary used glyph within the glyph window, but would love to be able to move that to the alternate version for that font on that machine within InDesign.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Transparency/opacity settings for paragraph shading

It would be nice to have transparency/opacity settings for paragraph shading. In certain designs, it would be nice if paragraph shading worked a lot like a frame fill that you can control the transparency and blending options for the shading portion. This would be applicable to borders as well. Right now, to get the semblance of semi-transparency, you have to apply it to the whole frame, but you may just want the shading and no other elements to be affected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. index tag with formatting

Make it possible to insert character formatting (italics, superscript, character style sheets) within the tag for the index.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. some difficulties when typing Hebrew and English text in same paragraph or line

the comma always moves at the wrong position than placed.
    see this video where i describe the problem

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Color-code GREP styles

Hello, InDesign team.

Please consider allowing users to assign a color to each GREP style, which would be applied as a highlight to text affected by the style. The highlight would, of course, be on-screen only, like the existing highlights for composition problems etc. This would be a quick way to ensure that the style is matching the correct text, without doing what I do now (which is to manually add a color highlight into the definition of each GREP style and then remove them later). Especially helpful for GREP styles whose effect is subtle. Characters affected by multiple GREP…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to create a custom Glyph

I need to insert in text symbols that appear on products - I have the symbols as an image which can easily be converted into bitmap/eps or whatever is needed in Photoshop.
    It would be nice to be able to great a custom Glyph set and create your own library of regularly used symbols - I have about 200 of them from the technical writing I do. Inserting them and getting them to "stay put" is very time consuming and it would-be much easier if they worked just like putting in a symbol from a wingdings font or similar. It…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. A way to extract font and text styling from an image

There should be way to capture styling information from an image. It will be helpful to find out and use the font and other kind of text styling used in an image.
    This way I'll be able to save information from an inspirational image for later use in my design.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base