Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

859 results found

1. blacked out images with no broken links

InDesign ver 15.0.1
    I have a file that displayed all linked images correctly this morning. 90% of the images are linked from my desktop, which is also where the InDesign file is located. 2 of the linked images are from a network cloud server.

After disconnecting from the server and then reopening the file, all linked files appear to have broken links. However when, checking the Links panel, only the images that were linked from the server are broken. This makes sense except that all linked images populate the document as either a gray box or a solid black box.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign doesn't display files or any kind of Interface I can work with.

InDesign doesn't display the files I want to work on.
    InDesign Version I use is 14.0.2
    Steps to reproduce:
    Open InDesign by clicking on the app icon or double click an InDesign file, none works.
    Expected result: To see the file I want to open and be able to work on it.
    Actual result: InDesign window seems hidden and doesn't display my file which means I can't edit it.
    I tried to clear preferences & cache but there's no InDesign file in the cache folder.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Command-Tab doesn't switch to Indesign document

I use Command-Tab constantly on MacOS to switch between Indesign and other open apps on my system. In ID2019, when I use the shortcut to switch back to ID from another app, it no longer consistently brings the frontmost open ID document into focus. Instead what happens is the palettes will come in to view but the frontmost window of the app I'm switching from is still on top of the open ID file. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's very annoying. I am most often switching between ID and Acrobat Pro or Google Chrome…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign performance issue: Lags when selecting and moving items using wacom tablet

On a iMac with 32 GB RAM running under macOS 10.14.4 (18E226) InDesign v.14.0.2.324 with Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (6.3.24-1) in some documents cursor / items handling is unresponsive, lagging or too sensitive (click is registered when there was no click, dragging happens yet it wasn't been ignited).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. spinning ball every minute

InDesign CC 13.1
    When using InDesign, doesn't matter which file, or file size, every minute on the minute I encounter a spinning ball for 10 seconds.

I use InDesign for a majority of my work, so there is almost an hour of work time lost each day.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

9. Lock files not synced via google drive

We have an issue where one user opens an indesign file and a lock file is created. When on a standard file server, a second user tries to open the file and is told its locked by user x and they cannot open the file. With google file stream, user 1 opens the file and a lock file is generated and synced, user 2 has that lock file synced locally so its visible, but they can still open the file and get no lock warnings. Has anyone else found this and found a solution

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Cross Referencing Annoyance. Bang Head. Repeat.

For the love of god fix the cross-referencing slowdown! It literally makes working in multiple documents impossible because the cursor just locks up. This has been a bug for almost a decade. What's the deal?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Recent file panel

When Indesign first opens, the time stamp on the recent file is not correct. Some of the files are marked "in an hour" as when they were opened. Others are just marked as 4 hours ago.

The normal keyboard shortcut for hide does not work either on this screen.

Indesign CC 2017.1 release 12.1.0.56 build

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. beachballs

Beach balls, beach balls and beach balls and wait for the next move in indesign. We do not find a solution to this problem on the Internet. Can Adobe solve this?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

13. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

14. Fix the touchpad

Just fix the touchpad please. I've already discussed it In detail on the Adobe community (https://shorturl.at/hAPZ8), but the touchpad is not working well at all. Now it's just less worse than 19.0 but still not working properly. You can't pinch to zoom, unlike Illustrator for example, and in general, it's not smooth at all. Trying to scroll through a project is a challenge; it scrolls in jumps with almost zero control over it. Centering the project on the PC is impossible without control 0.

Win11 23H2 22635.2915

Here's the full URL if you don't trust the shortened one: …

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. GPU Preview Freak Outs

Often times InDesign GPU preview freaks out, rendering the pages with random artifacts. Here are 2 spreads on GPU and on CPU (certain information blurred out). I've also attached another example of GPU freak out.

macOS Sonoma 14.3 MacBook Pro M3, InDesign 19.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. screen flickering sonoma

I know this is a known issue, but after 4 months, I would have hoped that a fix would have been developed by now. My fault for now researching before upgrading to Sonoma, but come on guys. I seriously can't believe how terrible my experience has been with both the new Macs and Adobe software. I have been doing design for 18 years, and have never had as much trouble in that time as I have had from both company's products in the last year. This is ridiculous! It is unfortunate for users that we have no other viable options…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. inDesign screen flashing on M2 Mac mini

InDesign screen flashing on M2 Mac mini.

The screen flashed when selecting text, moving objects, using marque select.
    Turning off rulers helps a lot. I've read that turning on/off GPU performance will solve this issue. The option is grayed out within inDesign but is available on Illustrator and Photoshop.

inDesign version: 19.0.1
    OS version: Sanoma 14.1.1
    Mac mini M2

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. High Cpu Usage indesign 2021-2022-2023-2024 versions...

Hello, unfortunately I have this problem too, it constantly uses 30% of the processor when idle, I tried everything, but the problem is completely related to the new indesign versions. Adobe has not made a fix on this issue yet, when will you fix it, Adobe?

I never experienced this problem in old versions. This problem is valid for 2021-2022-2023-2024 versions.

I tested by installing all Indesign versions on my computer and found that the only problematic versions were versions 2021 and above.

From the attached images, you can see the CPU usage of the 2020 version and the 2021…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign not responding, unable to close when a file is closed

I am using InDesign (18.5), whenever I closed one file the whole InDesign became not responding, unable to close, open new file, or do any at all. I have to open task manager to force close every time.

Is this an issue with the new version or others. Please help.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Slow performance, only using 100% of one logical processor

Since the update in March, InDesign (v 18.2.1 x64) runs extremely slow on my Windows 11 laptop. Never experienced such delays before. I have 16GB RAM and a AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics processor. InDesign appears to only use one of the sixteen logical processors and it slows down my entire system. Overall processor use may only be 34%, but the system is slowed down to the point where the mouse pointer doesn't even move.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 42 43
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base