Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. tool

When working with Indesign CC2018 and still in CC2019 on Mac. I can't use the Toolbox/bar on my second monitor connected to my MacBook. When the Toolbox is placed/locked on to the left hand side of the screen, the submenus of all tools (Type, Pen, Pencil etc.) don't open on my secondary monitor, but semi randomly are placed on the display of my MacBook. the only way to "fix" this is to place the Toolbox on the MacBook's display, but that's not the way to go about it...
    It has something to do with different resolutions of the two screens,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy/Paste of image/graphic blocks very slow

Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 on Sierra
    The copy and paste of graphic blocks in the same doc is very slow. When there is not a large number of links, it is pretty ok BUT when adding a lot of new picture links, the wheel keeps turning during ca. 10/15 seconds after each copy and paste of a graphic block also.

The temporary solution is to change the name of the image folder so to disable the dynamic links to pictures. But not ideal.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Pointer stuttering in layers panel

1. Id, Ai, Ps 2018 - Mac OS 10.13.4 - Logitech MX Master mouse

2. Cursor/pointer stutters badly when having over toggle & lock fields in layers panel

3. Pointer shouldn't stutter

4. Pointer badly stutters

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Performance GPU

Issue at hand. The latest InDesign and Illustrator have poor GPU performance. All of my fonts and graphics are "blurry" and Pixlelated. No one has called me back, and am pretty disappointed.

My case no. ADB-1524437-B1P3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fast save is taking 37 seconds

I imported a Word file that has a lot of linked footnotes into InDesign 2018. Spread by spread, I touch each paragraph to fix overrides. There is no reflow of text when I do this step. Yet when I do a plain "save" before going to the next spread, InDesign is taking 37 seconds to save. 37 seconds of watching the rainbow spin. InDesign is acting like it is reflowing every page in the background as it quick saves. That should not be necessary. The last time I experienced this type of slowness was back in the PageMaker days. The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. page not displayed

I am editing a long document (over 300 pages). Several non-consecutive spreads are displaying blank. When I change screen mode from normal to preview, it displays the content correctly. The same happens if I change Display Performance prom Typical to either Fast display or High Quality Display.
    Also selecting all the text (ctrl+A) takes more than 5 seconds. The same operation in MS Word is instant.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. paragraph styles panel

InDesign CC
    Expected: Paragraph Styles Panel opens to a list of my styles
    Actual: Panel opens and the list cannot be seen until the panel is widened to 3x its normal size.

The panel appears to be split into two columns with the styles in the left column. When the panel is narrowered (ie normal size), the styles column collapses and the styles list cannot be seen. The only way to access the styles list is to enlarge the width of the panel to about 3x its normal size. Please see the attached image showing the action of the styles…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. images pixelated when rotated

When I place an image into InDesign it imports high res, but when the image is rotated, it becomes severely pixelated. Even when the image rotation is a small degree - just a few degrees even. The image preview becomes distorted severly and changes distortion with every degree of rotation. I should mention that I am a professional graphic designer with over 20 years of experience so I have tried all of the obvious fixes - switched view to "overprint preview", set display performance to "High Quality", deleted preferences.. I have done everything imaginable. Running a machine with 3 GB…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Cursor vanishes when over frames

My cursor is vanishing in InDesign when I move it over a frame (or object inside a frame). It is almost like it is underneath or behind the frame/object.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1

Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1
    App is OK after restart. Once working on the document for 10 min the navigation around the document and any command request, ie duplicate a image slows down and becomes sluggish until app is restarted once more.
    Im working on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.
    (Display performance at "Typical Displace)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CC library window disappears from workspace

Every time I start indesign the CC libraries window disappears from my workspace. I add it again and overwrite my workspace, but it disappears again as soon as I quit. Using CC 2018 13.0 on Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign interface has issues after exiting touch mode

To replicate the bug, have at least two documents open.
    After using touch mode and then switching to normal (essentials), the status bar at the end of the current document (contains pages, etc.) will look a little rough. In the document that was not focused, the entire status bar background is missing. In addition, on that document the scrollbars disappear and flash while you scroll, which is a little disturbing for your eyes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Indesign 2020 doesn't convert older InDesign files so they are useable

When I open older InDesign files (pre-2019) in 2020, the program hangs and I get the spinny wheel and have to force quit. It also doesn't load italic version of system font Palatino. The workaround is to open them in 2019, why can't 2020 open older files properly?

Indesign 2020 15.1.1 / Mac OS 10.13.6

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Updated to Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 yesterday and now inDesign 15.1.1 is so slow that's it's almost unusable.

Have tried three different inDesign files and each minor change or new page view produces the progress wheel for a full minute. I can't work like this. Please help.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. file menu

Menu/File dropdown not working. When I try to Save as, Export or Print from the menu, nothing happens. Shortcut keys work, but seemingly nothing in the dropdown. I am using the latest version of Indesign and Apple OS

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Very Slow Performance - when opening two documents at the same time

Is there any solution to this bug:
    InDesign has very slow performance - when opening two documents at the same time.

Refer to the previous report "Very Slow Performance" that I submitted on June 19th 2020.

I still use Creative Cloud applications and my InDesign is v15.1.1 x64

Thanks!

Manuel Fernández

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Not able to work on more than one document in InDesign 2020 on Windows 10

Folks,
    Please vote if you have the same issue:

I can't work anymore on more than one packaged doc containing 'Document fonts' folder in each package in InDesign 15.1.1.
    Moving frames, selecting text in the frames or switching between two (blank) docs causes an unacceptable huge delay what makes efficient work impossible.

Performance got worse and worse since 15.02 / 15.03 / 15.1 already. Removed ID completely, as well any plug-ins or font management software. Bug occurs on three independent Win10 machines using 15.1.1.
    I'm currently working on ID 15.01 which is the only version I can work in still…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Either the file does not exist... ERROR

I've noticed a pattern when clicking on one of my recent file icons... I use two different cloud storage platforms, Dropbox and Sync. Both services are accessed from local folders on the same external hard drive. When trying to open one of the recent DROPBOX files from the Recent start page, I get the dreaded 'Either the file does not exist...' error.

BUT, when I follow the same process with one of the SYNC files, it opens with no issues.

ALSO, I can open files from EITHER service using the File > Open Recent method.

So... could the problem somehow…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Scrolling with mouse wheel

While using mouse wheel on InDesign 15.1 to scroll down to pages, chunks of my artwork overlap even setting everything to the lowest display performance possible. This only happens with the mouse wheel, works fine using the hand tool.

No issues with previous InDesign versions.

My setup: OS 10.15.5 on Mac Mini Late 2014, 2.6 Ghz, Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB memory, Intel Iris 1536MB, 500GB SSD

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base