Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Character Panel/Properties Panel font display font not correct for GREP-Styles

Indesign CC 14.0.1, x64

IF a GREP-style is at work formatting found text-style-ranges, then the font style dropdown in character panel/properties panel/control panel, may not correctly reflect the font in a selection . Please see screenshot attached.

In the screenshot, a paragraph format grep style has applied a character style "bold" to the word "Foto:" and "Text:". The user has selected the characters OT from the word "Foto:" as an example. The character panel font style should say "Bold", ... as you can see "Light caps" is NOT correct.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cell styles are not selected in the panel when applied through a Table style

InDesign CC 2018
    Set up a table style and apply it to a table.
    In the Table style, define a Cell style to be used.
    In the CELL style, define a Paragraph style to be used. In the same Cell style also set a Text inset (to be sure you see that the cell style is in effect).

Now put the text cursor inside a table cell, and notice how the currect Table style is selected in the Table styles panel, and also the correct paragraph Style in the Paragraph Panel.
    But in the Cell Style panel, there is no…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX

2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.

3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default

4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

4. Number list auto-numbering issues

We found one of the critical issues for auto-number list. We don't know how number removed automatically.

It will be visible if we made any changes in particular para, ex: we change any style and revert back to list style. Please check and fix such issues to avoid content loss during typesetting process.

I've attached screen shot and InDesign file for your better under standing. Refer page 18.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. eyedropper tool doesn't work any more and scrollbar disappears in color panel

Since i update MacOS Sierra (10.12.6 version), when i try to copy a text style with the eyedropper tool, it doesn't work. Instead to copy the right style, the text becomes always white.
    Other problem: in the color palette, there is no more the scroll bar: haw can i see the colours continue below the end of the window??
    And also the indicator of the color type (rgb, cmyk, pantone...) doesn't appear next to the single color.
    Other problem: sometimes when i open in design, it doesn't show the palettes. I have to restart several times. I verified the same…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Font errors of Southeast Asian languages such as Myanmar (Burmese) Unicode

Font errors of Southeast Asian languages such as Myanmar (Burmese) Unicode

1.     Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server : InDesign CC 2020 15.0.3 / 15.1.1 (Korean)

2.     Steps to reproduce the issues : Text deformation, image mislocation, text warp errors occurred when Myanmar (Burmese) Unicode text is used in InDesign CC 2020 version. Some of these errors samely appear in Khmer, Lao and Thai as well. I've tried 'World-Ready Composer' function, 'setting-up the language', changing to language font', but none of them worked.

3.     Expected result: It should been shown as '(Expected result) InDesign CC 2020_200731'.

4.     Actual…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Underline disappears when paragraph shading is used I have a paragraph style for text that needs shading and a character style for text wit

Underline disappears when paragraph shading is used

I have a paragraph style for text that needs shading and a character style for text with a hyperlink. The underline disappeares when shading is used. This happens when the height of the shading of the next used paragraph style is touching the underline in the previous paragraph.

The text remains on top so I would expect that the underline (which is part of the text, in my opinion) should also stay on top.
    Strikethrough is not being affected in this way so I use this as a workaround.

Latest version of InDesign…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 문자의 볼드체 미적용됨

문자의 볼드체 미적용됨

인디자인2020 - ver. 15.03 x 64

해당문제 언어: Arabic, Kazakh

1. 문자스타일의 볼드체가 적용되지 않은 상태로 나타남.
      모두 찾아서 재정의해줘야하는 문제!!!

2. 글꼴이 누락되었다고 뜹니다.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Incorrect German translation

I have already submitted this issue in 15.3 prerelease branch, but I see it still uncorrected in 15.3 release.

Paragraph style -> popup menu:

the word "Nächstes" should be lowercase - "nächstes".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Anchor object and paragraph settings error

Hello there.
    I make the carriage return settings in the paragraphs as in the picture. If I put an object per paragraph, it looks like the picture. Texts do not move away from the object properly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. copy/paste of URL loses character style

ID 15.0.2; Mac OS 10.14.6

1. copy a passage containing a URL formatted with a character style

2. paste the passage

expect char. style to be retained

actual: char.. style is eliminated; reverts to [None]

This happens when char. style is named 'Hyperlink' or when a char. style with another name is used.

Related issue: 'New Hyperlink from URL' always creates and applies default char. style Hyperlink unless I name my char. style for URLs 'Hyperlink'; 'hyperlink', for example, will not be applied.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Source Sans Pro latest version's properties have changed

The latest version of Source Sans pro (version 3.006) appears to start lower down text frames than the previous version did which messes up months worth of existing projects. When I go to edit the copy, it all shifts down the text box by a few millimetres.

In the attached image you can see two of the same text boxes - one is correct, and one has shifted down due to the font updating.

I've spoken with InDesign support who said to log the issue here.

As a temporary fix I have downloaded version 2.040 of the font from Github…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Numpad bug with paragraph styles

Loading an old Indesign file (version 2016 or older) in the new Version Indesign CC2020 causes a new bug.
    1.) I use Indesign CC 15.0.1 (2020)
    2) Open an old file of Indesign with many defined paragraph styles (from 2016 or older) --> try to edit some texts use text cursor klick in a textbox and type a 1, a 3 or a 4 on the numpad.
    3) I expect that the numbers 1, 3 or 4 to be typed.
    4) The paragraph style changes to another style without any shortcut set in the file or the paragraph style.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Column Rule disappears when grouped objects **with Text Wrap** are moved/nudged

Firstly, let me just say a BIG thanks for introducing Column Rules in CC 2020.

However, I've found a couple of problems so far.

1. New File

2. Draw a text frame (no text needed) and set the Columns to 2, and turn ON the Column Rule (all basic, default values).

3. Draw another text or graphic frame (doesn't matter which) and place it anywhere (doesn't matter if it overlays the text frame, or not).

4. Group the two objects.

5. HERE IS THE KEY STEP: With the group selected, turn on Text Wrap (doesn't matter which... anything other than 'None').

6. Move the group ANY…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InDesign leading changes not applying

Whenever I change the leading (line spacing) under Character styles, the document won't accept the changes. I tried saving, quitting the program, and reopening, but the problem persists. Doesn't matter whether I apply the style to a single line or multiple lines.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Paragraph style overrides key quick not working

When I select a paragraph and want to keep the character styles, but override the paragraph levels styles while holding down Ctrl/Shift click, this quick key does not work. Nothing happens. It used to work for CC2017. Ctrl click works for overriding character styles though. This is a nuisance, especially when it worked before

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

To remove paragraph-level overrides, but preserve character-level overrides and character styles, in the Paragraph Styles panel, hold down Shift+Ctrl and click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the panel.
    To remove character-level overrides, but preserve paragraph formatting overrides, hold down Ctrl as you click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel.

Please also see this article: https://indesignsecrets.com/5-ways-of-removing-overrides-applied-to-paragraphs.php

Adobe InDesign team

18. numbered list

When a long numbered list extends to the next page, the first list on the next page will indent outside of the margins. To correct, I just reapply the style. It happens after closing and opening the document several times without me even working on that page. I'm having to check the exported PDF every time when I do an update to the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Arabic

Using Adobe Arabic font, and paragraph set to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, when I copy in Arabic with a period at the end of the sentence, InDesign is interpreting the period as Roman/English text and placing it to the far right of the sentence, instead of at the end of the sentence (far left).

This is new since I last worked in these files in March of this year.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Apply Overrides to style using option click not working

1. InDesign CC2019

2. option-clicking on a style sheet should apply it with clear overrides.

3. it doesn’t. You have to right click on it to Apply ‘style’ clear overriders

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base