Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linked AI / vector file previews with jagged bezier curves when rotated 90 degrees

Bezier curve of linked AI file previews as jagged/tangent straight lines when rotated 90 degrees. Looks fine at all other angles.

Linked file is saved as AI 2020.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have verified this issue using customer document.Issue is reproducible in InDesign’s 15.0.2 and 14.0.3 versions.
    We will update this thread once we have proper fix for this issue.

Workaround:
    Please switch to CPU rendering and change display performance to typical.

2. 270 degrees rotation changes image shapes

When placing an image from Illustrator (like an .ai or .eps) and rotating it 270 degrees will turn round corners into sharp corners. this only happens with 270 degrees rotation not with 269 or 271. Not even with 270,1 or 269,9. This was on InDesign CC 2020 version 15.0.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Activated Fonts Don't Load

I created a graphic with Minion Pro Bold font but when I reopen the file to do more work a pop up window says I need to activate the Bold. Only when I shut down the software and reopen it after activating does the Bold font appear as originally designed. This happens over and over and seems like an unprofessional bug in the software.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Go back on roll over" interactive button state checked/greyed out

I was working on an interactive project and found that the "go back on roll over" option becomes turned on and greyed out so you cannot un-check the box when adding an "upon release" action to a button. I initially could NOT figure out why this was happening, and it was totally screwing up my on-click actions in my project.

Eventually, I think I figured out that it seems to happen when you create a button, add an "on roll over" action and check the box "go back on roll off", then create ANOTHER action (like "on click"), and then…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Clicking on image doesn't show it in the Links panel

Clicking on an image within a frame doesn't show it in the Links panel, so I have to scroll through the list of links to find the image - This sometimes works, sometimes does not.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. missing dialog box

When i clicked on the effect (example; gradient feather) for my image, there is no dialog box popping out. I'm unable to click on other tools and I've to use the escape key to close the 'invisible' dialog box before I can use the other tools. Hence, I'm unable to apply any effect on my image.

I'm using the Indesign CC (13.0.1) on Windows.

It feels like it's a programme bug. I've tried to reinstall the programme but it still persists.

Please assist.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Edit with other - doesn't see Photoshop as an application

I use the Indesign feature on the links menu to Edit With, either using the default application or another. We just updated to the latest CC (ps, il, in) and the other application isn't the same. For any jpg or pdf, it shows Photoshop or illustrator or Acrobat as available to open the image selected. However, if I select an ai. file, it shows Illustrator as the default, and Preview as another option - no Photoshop. I select Other to add Photoshop, go to the applications folders, click on Photoshop and it's only seeing it as a folder, not as…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. New Bug Indesign 16.2.1 | Contours conversion error (inside/outside aligned)

This bug seems to only affect older InDesign documents and graphic elements from them that were created before the update to 16.2.1. The bug can NOT be reproduced in completely new 16.2.1 documents with newly created elements!

What happens:
    For example, if you create a circle with the dimensions 200X200mm and a 10mm thick outline, this results in a circle with the dimensions
    210X210mm

But if you now change the contour orientation from center to inside, the dimensions change unproportionally in height:

Instead of 200 x 200 mm the circle becomes quasi
    an "egg" 200 x 199.999 mm

If you…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Handling error sizing with frame with contour (centered/outside).New bug!? Frames with contour: Are now shifted into each other after simult

Scaling with undesirable erroneous result:
    Affects frames whose outline is either:
    A. centered or
    B. aligned to the outside of the frame
    (Frames where the contour is aligned on the inside of the frame are not affected by this error. There the scaling still works correctly as desired).

Recently, such frames (with a contour A/B) shift into each other undesirably after simultaneous resizing (see screenshot) and lose their original arrangement to each other!

I don't know with which version this new bug appeared,
    but it is annoying and makes work slower again.

With Illustrator the error does not occur. There…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. CC Libraries

InDesign 16.1. CC Libraries gets stuck. I cannot select any pictures Editing is only possible again after a complete restart. After a while it gets stuck again.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option + drag and shift to contstrain keys not working

InDesign 16.0.2

The usual function of holding the option key on mac and dragging an object to duplicate has stopped working. In the same way, clicking shift when moving an object or drawing a frame no longer constrains it's dimensions.

Both of these features still work fine in Illustrator (25.1)

The attached video show me trying to draw a square by holding shift when drawing a shape but it doesn't constrain the proportions as it should. It also shows me then trying to duplicate the shape by holding option (mac) and dragging. The cursor changes to suggest that it's working…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Color profiles not working on 16 bit images

When mounting 16 bit images the program always assigns the dokument profile.
    When convering images to 8 bit it works properly and the image profile is assigned.

Only InDesign 2021 (v16.0)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. items are missing from artwork when i copy it from illustrator and paste it into indesign. So frustrating!!!!

just make seamless copying/pasting between illustrator and InDesign.

would be even better if you can open an Illustrator file with InDesign. or if you could make InDesign like a render queue so you can better compress and save your photoshop and illustrator files to pdfs and other file types

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can't select gradients from swatches

Since installing the new InDesign 2021, I'm not able to apply my colour swatches to the gradient bar. When I click on a colour swatch, it changes the main fill rather than the gradient colour.

This was working before the update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To apply a swatch to one of the gradient stops, you have to hold down the Alt key and then click on a Swatch in the Swatches panel. Clicking directly on any of the swatches changes the fill color of the object to the Swatch color instead of changing the color of the gradient stop.
    Please confirm the above in the previous release as well as InDesign 2021.

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base