stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding
Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
Thank you for your patience all this while.
We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.
1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.
We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.
However, over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created multiple threads to address each root cause separately and effectively.
If you are facing any slowness in InDesign or seeing any other performance issue, we request you vote for the relevant thread or create a new thread specifying the action/workflow which is slowing you down.
We seek your support in our continuous effort to improve InDesign.
Philippe Maintigneux commented
InDesign 14.0.2 + Mojave 10.14.4. Same problem. I have mentionned it a long time ago. It seemed to go better on or two weeks ago. But this week, I see the spinning wheel too often. No link can be made with the length of the document, it happens also on very simple one page documents.
Same problem on Windows 10!!!!! Any action starts with Not responding!!!
Same story here, with a little investigation found that spinning ball happens ALWAYS on these conditions:
- Any kind of document which is long enough (eg. >50 pages)
- Happens when switching back to ID coming from any other app. Once you focus on ID you get the freeze
- Freezing time is proportional to document lenght (50 pages: 2 seconds, 500 pages: >1 minute)
- High Sierra with CC 2018 Clean install, no plugins, no preflight, no background tasks, no strange software
Please advice here if you face the same behavior
I am also experiencing this issue on a constant basis making InDesign pretty much unusable. Extremely frustrating!
InDesign 13.1 / MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 / iMac Retina 5K
I have the same problem and I'm running on version 10.13.6 of MacOS.
Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.3
Indesign CC 13.01
Delay/lag/latency issue on almost every aspect of Indesign since updating to High Sierra. The application is almost unusable for a professional!