Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Export to Fixed Layout EPUB - Poor Image Quality

I am currently working on a graphic novel project that I am planning on submitting to apple books as an epub file. The files were created in adobe illustrator and subsequently, linked into adobe indesign to create the final published product. I have noticed that the image quality when exported to epub is far inferior to when that same file is exported to a pdf file. That is regardless of the alterations that you make to PPI or other options (such as altering between PNG, JPG and other file formats) prior to exporting to epub. I have adjusted the PPI…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. properties panel tab order for changing document size

In the properties panel, please change the tab order for document size/number of pages.

When typing new dimensions for a document I would expect to type the new width for the layout and press tab to then type the new height for the layout, instead, tab takes you to number of pages!

Madness!!!

The number of times I have gone to resize a document and changed the width to a new measurement and then added 594 new pages instead of altering the new height to 594mm.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Programs hangs after having selected a text and then opening the font drop down list.

After having selected some text and then opening the drop down font menu, the program starts doing an infinte number of calculations and never stops (the CPU core being used is maxed and remains like that).

FFS hire someone who can fix it.. its been ages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. after indesign is open I try to open a 2nd file; it attempts to open another instance of indesign (but I only have license for 1 station)

When I already have Indesign open, I try clicking (within windows file explorer) on an Indesign file in an attempt to open it. When I do this an attempt is made to open another instance of Indesign instead of opening the file with the instance of Indesign already open. I only have a license for 1 station of Indesign and so the new instance of Indesign crashes. The result is I am unable to open the Indesign file this way when always before I was able to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 'Remember last export format' still not working

I posted a bug report on this a while back but I can't find it now.

This feature still isn't functioning for us.

InDesign only remembers the format of the last file exported.

So I just exported an InDesign file as a JPEG, and then when I returned to a file I worked on an hour ago, that I last exported as a PDF, the 'remembered' last export format is JPEG.

So NOTHING is being remembered across individual files at all.

This would be a great feature if we could get it working, but it simply doesn't work. Deleting preferences…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. use file name

Last week when I exported to PDF a tick box was available to use the file name.
    This week I don't have that option - (and INDD is newly updated.)
    a) the option was useful
    b) is this a local problem or was it removed on purpose?

running under win7
    thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Option to change the color of bitmap fonts

We need a way to change the color for white/grayscale bitmap fonts.

We often use Bitmap fonts for the better texture we can get from them; however, not having the option to change the color of the font, means we have to change the color within photoshop, then either export separate images or entire fonts for each color we use. This is rather inefficient and slows down our process. Having the ability change the color of a white or grayscale bitmap font would be very useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. PRINTING ISSUE

PRINTING ISSUE

printing to my desktop epson, from indesign made my file enlarge by 1-2%, same my file as pdf from acrobat prints at precisely 100%.
    I want to print from indesign and have it be exactly the size I made it, not have to make a pdf and print from there. thanks.

ID v 14.0.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

11. excel sheet names

InDesign doesn't show named cell ranges for excel sheet tabs that start with a number. If the sheet name starts with a number the named cell ranges on that sheet will not show up in the import drop down.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. print dialog offset greyed out

The offset, gap and transverse options in the Setup section of the Print Dialog are not greyed out and so available. I tried various document presents, print presets and printers - and no matter what settings are selected these features remain greyed out. I cannot find in help pages or anywhere online how to activate this feature. Please help or fix.

Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.2 x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Estilos de linea anidados

Tengo un estilo anidado a la primera linea, donde ha de aparecer en versalita. El problema es que si la palabra de la linea está cortada, no considera que ha terminado la primera linea y sigue aplicando el estilo versalita. También pasa si la segunda linea también parte... La versalita continua hasta encontrar un final de linea que no parte. Entonces considera que se a terminado la linea.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Estilos de linea anidados

Tengo un estilo anidado a la primera linea, donde ha de aparecer en versalita. El problema es que si la palabra de la linea está cortada, no considera que ha terminado la primera linea y sigue aplicando el estilo versalita. También pasa si la segunda linea también parte... La versalita continua hasta encontrar un final de linea que no parte. Entonces considera que se a terminado la linea.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Estilos de linea anidados

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign writes wrong apostroph. Even PageMaker 20 years ago did it right! Bun in InDesign one nees to press Alt + 0146 to get the correct

InDesign is not able to write a correct apostroph (looking like a 9 instead a 6). Even PageMaker some 20 years ago was able to create the right apostroph! In Windows you habe to put in Alt + 0146 everytime you wonna write an apostroph. This is not only a pity, this is a shame.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. data merge

DataMerge is failing to import UTF 8 text as unicode. This is a new problem.
    Adobe Indesign CC 14.02
    1. Create UTF 8 Text file for merging.
    2. Open previously functional Indesign document with keys already established.
    3. Select data source
    4. Choose text file (UTF8 no BOM) (if you have BOM, file isn't recognized)
    5. Tick show import options (never needed to do this before)
    6. Make sure its Unicode.
    7. Data still comes in in ASCII even though I chose Unicode.
    This has to be a merge problem because I can cut and paste the data into the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Use Typographer's Quotes" is off by default. Is this a cruel joke?

And this setting seems to automatically reset to "off" arbitrarily. I cannot count how many times I have had to toggle it back on.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Layers

I was trying to export my design to a PDF (for print) when this happened (see first attachment). The elements in the two circles (far right) went missing (these circles should look like the circle on the far left - i used a red arrow to show what I'm talking about). And also, the (black) layers containing these missing elements were locked and cannot be opened/deleted/edited/moved.

After a few minutes, even the white circle disappeared (see second attachment).

Then the program finally crashed and gave me the option to reopen the recovered file but it was damaged (see third attachment).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. master page

The header items of my master pages are not always exporting. The top image is form the PDF. The bottom image is from the InDesign file. Notice how the gray rule is missing from the PDF. Sometimes the rule is missing from the left hand pages, sometimes it's on the right-hand pages.

The affected master pages were child master pages, and I was able to get around this issue by detaching the rule from the parent master page, and making it standalone on the child master page. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This appears to be a very recent…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base