Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

255 results found

1. When exporting a PDF to Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German), you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Custom" remains in the fi

Version: Adobe Indesign CC 14.0 (German)
    Export -> Benutzerdefinierte Seiten
    you can not enter individual pages in the area. The name "Benutzerdefinierte Seiten" remains in the field.

Result: a complete pdf with all pages

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The export specific pages of a document to PDF, you have to enter them after selecting the ‘Range’ option.

As for the name shown in the field when you select the ‘Create Separate PDF Files’ option, it is just for display, letting you know how the individual pdf files get named upon export.

Adobe InDesign team

2. page number in page manu not shown

Hallo. Leider werden die letzten Seitenzahlen im Seitenmenü abgeschnitten.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

3. Indesign CC 2019 Bugs(Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables)

I usually use the inDesign to import the created word file.
    However, if I check the Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables in indesign cc 2019 and import the file, the formatting of the text will be deleted.
    This does not happen with Indesign cc 2018, but this will continue to happen in this 2019 upgrade.
    I ask you to correct this problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Objects with Opacity Fill below 100%, appear as 100% when PDF proof placed in a layout file.

Created ad with objects containing simple color fills below 100% (50% and 30%) opacity. Exported proofs to use in a Indesign magazine layout file. Once the PDF was dropped into a frame, those faded opacity values jumped back to 100%. Fix was to re-edit the original files, change Opacity values, re-save, re-export proof, drop proof back into main layout. Very annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. images are missing

When opening v.2018 Indesign files or new v.2019 files, bitmap images are not displayed. Images are shown as gray boxes with an X across the box (see attached). Display settings changes do not remedy the problem.

I have to work in v.2018 until this is fixed.

ID version 14.0

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. properties panel

The tutorials all show the properties panel, but it is nowhere to be found. I tried the Windows tab, no dice. It's really annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. no break is not working 100%

InDesign CC 14.0 no break is not working all the time. Trying to keep web address together and have no break applied but the text is still splitting even though it can fit a single line of the text box. If I change width of text box the spaces get compressed and almost looks like there is no space between words.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. A2

When choosing the A2 format in a new document you get the following tallllll document

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign Enlarges New Assets larger than their Bounding Box

Since the new update, every time I drag an image or logo, etc. into Indesign and drag out how large I want the asset to be displayed....
    - Indesign places it (after a short delay), but makes the bounding box smaller than the actual asset. So the logo gets partially covered by the bounding box.

I'm not using the content aware sizing or anything. The bounding box should exactly match the asset as its being dragged in for the first time. Very frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Patrick,
    We’re sorry to hear that the latest version of InDesign is not behaving as per your expectations.
    You said that you are not using Content Aware Sizing. However, could you check once again to see if you have enabled the setting ‘Make Content-Aware Fit the default frame fitting option’ in the Preferences dialog (under General section)?
    Also it would be helpful if you can show us a quick demo of the issue and/or share the file (along with the asset).

Ravi Kiran
    Adobe InDesign team

10. In Design Online Post has changed with updated

We have been using the Publish online Feature for a year. Today, the lastest post displays all the hyperlinks. Attached are two browser versions. Windows looks much like Chrome. Thoughts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you please let us know the exact behaviour difference that you are facing in Publish Online after InDesign 2019 update.
    Detailed steps along with your Browsers, Platform, OS and a short video will be very helpful.
    You can directy reach me out at sakverma@adobe.com

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

11. Endnote Font Size Problems

Version: InDesign 14

Steps: When placing an endnote in a frame "Loaded by Place Curser", the font size used for the end note does not honor the font size determined by the style. This includes when the paragraph style is set in the endnote options, as well as when the paragraph style is applied by selecting the endnote text.

1. Create endnote style, and set it in endnote options
    2. Set endnote text frame to "loaded by place curser" in endnote options
    3. Add an endnote to the text, and place endnote text frame
    4. The Endnote text added to this frame does not…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign 14.0 x 64 Margin won't change since software update

When I try to increase or decrease margins, nothing happens. It used to work great until my last software update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 13.1

Sometimes when I open a document that I've worked on, some frames (text or/and pictures) have moved 5 mm horizontally. Its random, not all pages but some. This is a great concern since we are doing 164 pages magazines for a client and we have to manually look through every page every time we open the magazine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

14. PDf

I have updated to OSX 10.14 and now my InDesign freezes when I export a PDF. iMac specs attached. I have to force quit the application each time. The strange thing is that even though the app has frozen and the background task shows the PDF as partially complete it seems the PDF is actually being fully created.

Running InDesign 13.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. change of page dimensions won't resize alternate layout

changed page dimensions but indesign won't resize alternate layout
    changed to 5.5" from 5" and it won't re-size the alternate vertical layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

16. spreadsheet

InDesign CS4 - CC2018
    j'ai créé un tableau sous indesign sur le plan de montage et dès que je le glisse sur la page les spécifications de cellules n'agissent plus. (cf capture ecran) certain textes sautent. avez-vous deja rencontré ce probleme?
    et trouvé une solution ?

InDesign CS4 - CC2018
    I created a table under indesign on the timeline and as I drag it on the page the cell specifications no longer work. (see screenshot) some texts jump. have you ever encountered this problem?
    and found a solution?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

17. Fill with Placeholder Text doesn’t automatically change the font and characters for that language when holding ⌘ and choosing that from menu

InDesign CC 2018 on macOS Mojave public Beta,
    when holding down ⌘ key and choose Type-> fill w place holder text, there’s a pop up menu that you can choose which language you want to fill in, and it did fill with placeholder text, However it didn’t fill in text with that language and choosing a font that suits that language, or even ragged left if it’s Arabian language.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    I need more inputs from you to get to the bottom of the issue.

Please confirm if the issue happens only with Mojave. Was it working fine before upgrading to Mojave?

Are CMD/opt keys working fine in other workflows?

Regards,
    Abhinav kaushik

18. Master Page

Master Page not reflected on some document pages. Adobe InDesign CC 2018. Workaround was to change the affected document pages to another master page, then change back to the original master page. The document pages then refreshed to the expected result.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

19. inDesign Form Fields are Hidden in Acrobat after Export

I created two form fields in inDesign using the Buttons and Forms panel. When I export my pdf (interactive), I cannot see the form fields. Interestingly enough, when I click "Prepare Form" in Acrobat, the form fields appear, and without doing anything, I can save the pdf and the form fields will continue to work as expected. Obviously this is much more time-consuming than if the fields were just visible by default.

My document is very simple: 1 page, a couple lines, minimal text, some hyperlinks (which all function correctly), and the two form fields.

I believe it has something…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The way you have described the issue you are facing is pretty simple and straight-forward. You don’t need to toggle any specific setting to specify Form Fields in InDesign or view them in Acrobat. The Form Fields are visible with a light-bluish background in Acrobat. Wonder what could be causing the issue to happen for you.
    Even though there doesn’t appear to be anything special in the document you are creating, could you share the same so that it can be looked at for troubleshooting?

Adobe InDesign team

20. My Publish Online with the following message: Error # 22

My Publish Online with the following message: Error # 22

How to solve?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here