Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Restore video from URL media option

For some unexplained reason the Video from URL option has been removed from InDesign 2020. This needs to be restored ASAP as there are people using this feature.

Moveover, it needs a minor improvement to allow HTTPS links (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37474690-place-a-video-from-a-url-with-https).

It was a big mistake to not query the community before removing this and it should be a simple thing to restore.

254 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

99 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Publish Online feature has issues when viewed in iOS 13

We are using the "Publish Online" feature inside Adobe Indesign to make some of our content available on our website. We've recently received reports from users with Apple iOS 13 mobile devices that the content is not displaying properly on those types of mobile phones. When the content first opens, if you double tap the page zooms in ok and double tapping again zooms out ok. However, if you try to pinch/zoom, the page blows up very large such that you can only see a couple words and you cannot pinch to get back out. Sometimes double-tapping again takes it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Indesign publish online page transitions not working

When I publish online from InDesign, any page transitions that have been applied to pages do not work. The pages simply appear. All animations work well, but the page push that I set as a transition does not work. Hopefully someone has a solution for this? If I use a plugin like in5 I can get the desired effect. Hopefully Adobe can add the same functionality that In5 has. Here is a sample from in5 that has the correct page transition: https://rudilouw.com/rotspoel/ You can drag from side to side and slide the pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. hangs on export to epub3

I have one file that will not export at all. InDesign hangs every time and I have to force quit. I have tried not including the cover, the fonts, the TOC, in all combinations. I was able to export by opening the IDML in CS6. Mac OS 10.3.6 and InDesign CC 15.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. private

it can be really usefull to add a feature to pubblish online and make the pubblication private or protected with password

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Page Transition - Interactivity Preview

On Indesign CC, I applied simple page transition on 2 pages. However, the transition is not previewing in the EPUB Interactivity Preview. When you go to the next page, it no page transition applies.

So I tried doing it on Indesign CS6, and it shows the page transition.

Can anybody help me with this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Indesign CC 15.0.1 on Windows 10: Interactive - Media panel complete blows up in size

When opening the media panel it completely blows up and it is impossible to resize (as the controller buttons run out of the computerscreen). The only way to solve is to reinstall indesign and not use the panel anymore.
    Not possible for me to include screenshots because the computer hangs up and eventually i will have to abort the program due to the continuous resizing ...seems like it keeps resizing in the background. when I try to move to the control buttons is sizes further anf further.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Numbers changes to character at epub

When I export to epub some numbers change to other characters. Ex.: number 1 changes to ١ and 9 changes to ٩.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. animation file from indesign, 'recovered files' every time in trash (indesign didn't crash)

when I save an animation file from indesign, I get a 'recovered file' every time I restart my Mac. I try to remove it, but then my document starts going crazy. (indesign didn't crash, it just happens)

animation in indesign works fine, but the maps keep coming and it is irritating.

indesign 2020 with newest version
    mac catalina newest version

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. EPUB; Exporting a numbered list to a reflowable pub

When working with "numbered list: in Indesign, paragraph style work great.

However after working and exporting it to a reflowable Epub it doesnt respect alignment and moves inward. I have looked up for anyone who has encountered the same problem making sure I wasn't the only one and yup there are others with the same issue.

I would like not to, for every numbered list in every book, to convert numbering to text. This is something I have seen as an issue since someone commenting since 2014 and not receiving any solution.

I need to know if there is some…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Mystery white hairlines showing up on edges of Published Online Document

I am having an issue with documents published online and viewed in Google Chrome. For some reason there are thin white hairlines showing up on the edge of certain pages that are not in the actual InDesign document. On a couple of pages in my book, I have made the background color the same as the background color that shows up in the browser, but these hairlines are still showing the edge of the page.

Screenshots of the white hairlines attached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Footnote numbering in InDesign does not heed setting

I have a single indd-document containing a book with 300+ footnotes in it. I have set the footnote numbering to "Restart numbering at every --> Section" (i.e. Chapter).

But when I export the document to an EPUB file, InDesign does not heed this setting but keep running the numbering up to "348".

I suspect this is a bug in inDesign 2020 (15.0.1), as there seem to be no good reason for this behavior.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Export to HTML of Tables structure is incorrect

InDesign CC2019+2020

Create a table
    Convert first row to Header row type
    Convert last row to Footer row type
    Export to HTML

you get (simplified)
    <table>

&lt;thead&gt;

&lt;td&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;Text&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/thead&gt;
    &lt;tfoot&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;Text&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/foot&gt;
    &lt;tbody&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;Text&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/tbody&gt;

The HTML spec specifies that tfoot should appear AFTER tbody.
    Also the <td> in <thead> should be <th>.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Export to HTML of Tables structure is incorrect

InDesign CC2019+2020

Create a table
    Convert first row to Header row type
    Convert last row to Footer row type
    Export to HTML

you get (simplified)
    <table>

&lt;thead&gt;

&lt;td&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;Text&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/thead&gt;
    &lt;tfoot&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;Text&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/foot&gt;
    &lt;tbody&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;Text&lt;/p&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/tbody&gt;

The HTML spec specifies that tfoot should appear AFTER tbody.
    Also the <td> in <thead> should be <th>.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Master page shadow/effects cause white knockouts when published online

When using the Publish Online feature, effects applied to elements on a master page is causing white knockouts in the online viewer. Further testing showed that having type behind the master page effects appears to make the knockout go away.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Endnotes don't export to ePub

EPUB Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2019 – 14.0.3

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to EPUB

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result:
    Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink. Indesign crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. epub 3 footnote hyperlink character style html is broken (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

epub 3 footnote hyperlink character style html is broken. When exporting to an epub 3 with footnotes that contain hyperlinks, the html output is acting strange. See the below for an example as it applies a separate span character style to each word or string.

<a href="https://naturalhealthcourses.com/2015/06/cellular-memory-and-how-it-works/"><span class="Hyperlink">https:</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">/naturalhealthcourses</span><span class="Hyperlink">.</span><span class="Hyperlink">com</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">2015</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">06</span><span class="Hyperlink">/</span><span class="Hyperlink">cellular</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">memory</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">and</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">how</span><span class="Hyperlink">-</span><span class="Hyperlink">it</span><span class="Hyperlink">-works/</span></a>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Publish Online Error "An error occurred while uploading your document. Please try again."

For months I have been getting this error message. I have followed all the steps previously mentioned and it still wont fix the issue. Please see the attached image. The last time I was able to publish online was in June 2019.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Copying animations loses timing panel settings

When copying/duplicating animations (using ANY method), the timing panel settings are completely lost. This is really bad for complicated animations. The timing panel settings should be maintained when animations are copied/pasted or duplicated in any way.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base