Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Presets did not export to CC 2020

None of my workspace, grep, place from Word, or postscript presets exported from the previous version.

Also there is no more option to save a custom print to postscript setting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Locked to dell canvas screen, can't move to other screens

On a multiscreen system, when InDesign starts up on the Dell Canvas drawing tablet screen, the window can't be moved to any other screen in the system. If the Dell Canvas is turned off then on, InDesign automatically moves to another screen. At that point, the window can be moved to any other screen in the system. However, if you move it totally onto the Canvas screen, it will be pinned to that screen, unable to move back to the other screens.

InDesign 15.01 x64. Dell Canvas screen is the primary screen for windows. Other monitors are 32" 4k+ monitor…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Windows 10 is not supported on our enterprise CS account???

I received a notice that an update is required, but Windows 10 is not supported on our enterprise Adobe CS account on my work computer??

"Update required
    You must update your system to install lnDesign. Please check the following:
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 10 or later (Note: Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 version 1507, Windows 10 version 1511, Windows 10 version 1703 and Windows 10 version 1709 are not supported)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. InDesign typekit fonts and sometimes activation does not work when network connectivity is lost

I work during commute and travel on my laptop and the past few versions have not been able to utilize typekit fonts without internet connection.

Issues often persist even after reconnecting. There are many errors that arise when network switches status.

This makes me unable to adjust layouts since there is no way to know the space taken up by the font. This has also cost me hours in slow tech support from adobe. Hours of lost productivity because of this bug that has been unbelievably overlooked.

If there is anything else I can do to help fix this for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Indesign ALWAYS forgets app size and position

Indesign always forgets app size and position in latest 2020, V15.0, Windows.
    I thought that this issue was well and truly over after update patch with previous versions but here we are again, 2020 version 15.0 and still happening.
    Please fix as very annoying, also, this may be related but indesign main frame (top tool bars) completely disappear when first minimising the application, leaving the vertical tool bars behind, the only way to retrieve the main top toolbar is to re-start the application. Amateurish!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine (as seen in activity monitor)

What's this??

Using Indesign CC 2020 on Macos Catalina 10.15.1

Sometimes one of these CEPHtmlEngines (7 or 8, I don't know what these processes do, and 'helpers') uses to 80%, the fan goes up, sometimes a beachball. What can I do to ged rid of this??

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Removable Device Warning

I have been working with InDesign for many years and have learned to store my files on a removable device. This is because I have found them to be more stable than my computer and if the computer goes down, the data is fine. Now, I find myself getting a constant message telling me that I should not do this (which is Adobe's opinion and they are entitled to it) with a check box for me to select if I don't want to receive these messages again. Why, when I check this box, do I keep getting these messages? Sadly…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Indesign 2020 keeps asking me to save files

It says it has been altered (asterisk next to name) immediately after I open a file
    even I haven't made any changes. After I save it , the asterisk shows up again as soon as I scroll down!

I am using InDesign 2020, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Packaging dialogue location default

Please have the document packaging dialogue default to the folder the InDesign file your packaging from is located in. Up till InDesign 2020 this was the default, now it is packaging things wherever something was saved last.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

142 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Spinning wheel of death on cursor tool. Running latest version and catalina.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. InDesign 15.0 Smart Guides problem on converted files

After the 15.0 update InDesign does not show Smart Guides on files that are saved with the older version of InDesign. New blank documents show Smart Guides as they should but if I open (convert) old file to 15.0 Smart Guides stop working. So when I drag elements they don't snap to each other or center to the page for example.

I'm working on Windows 10.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Live-Linking Word Document

Since updating to 14.0.3 the live linking function for text documents no longer works.

Since updating to 14.0.3 if I place a word document into my Indesign Document and ensure that the link text setting is turned on in file handline it places the word document but is unable to update the file when changes are made in word. It won't even allow for manual updating and you have to re-place the document every time you make an update. This means our project is going to take a lot longer to finish as we have to re-map our paragraph styles…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Neues Dokument lässt sich nicht erstellen ....leeres Fenster mit %CCX_FNFT_DIALOG_NAME

Es lässt sich kein neues Dokument erstellen weder über die Schaltfläche noch über Datei neu.... Stattdessen kommt ein leeres Fenster mit %CCXFNFTDIALOG_NAME

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Only loading icon

Today (10.10.2019) I tried continuing my work in Adobe InDesign (newest CC version), and it refuses to work at all. Upon opening application there is only loading icon. Restarting system, and reinstalling application wouldnt work

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. No Gpu performance

Version of Adobe InDesign : 14.0.3
    Version of MacOS : Catalina (10.15)

Steps to reproduce the issues :
    Go to : preferences , GPU performances

Expected result :
    Enable Gpu performances

Actual result :
    Impossible to enable GPU - Performance

Tested on the Beta of Indesign and it work

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base