Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hi, I am using indesign CC 2018. When formatting text as a numbered list, the number is not displayed until I start typing.

When I hit enter on the numbered text box, I want to see the number I'm about to start entering information for. If I don't see the number, my brain can't move forward onto the next idea.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pasting Chinese text from illustrator to Indesign changes the content of the text. Help!

I have text in Illustrator that are in Chinese, using 苹方-简 typeface. When I copy and paste the same text into Indesign, the text changes into new characters.

I know you need to expand the characters to use as vectors, but sometimes we need to change the text and go back and forth before finalizing. The question is why does it not do that for english text? I copy and paste between illustrator and indesign all the time, but this is the first time I've come across changing the text content completely.

Running CC 2019 for all.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. text bold italic regular

Cannot easily change text with bold italics and bold regular to non-bold italics and non-bold regular.

1. On Windows 7, InDesign 14.0.1 x64:

2. In a normal text window, type "regular" in non-bold regular Times New Roman font.

3. Then type "italics" in non-bold italic Times New Roman Font.

4. Select the entire "regularitalics" phrase.

5. Click Ctrl-B. The entire phrase correctly becomes bold.

6. Click Ctrl-B again.
      Expected behavior: The entire phrase should revert back to regular.
      Actual behavior: Only "italics" reverts back to regular. The "regular" remains bold.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bug Copy&past onto Indesign CC 2019

The copy-paste function from another software (Adobe acrobat, word, pages, etc.) to Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 does not work under mac os 10.12.6. This works very well on the Indesign cc 2018 version. I restart the application with CMD + ALT + CTRL + shift to restore the preferences, but the bug persists. Can you help me ?. Sorry for the quality of my English, I'm French. Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. create outlines

1. cmd + A = select all objects on the page.

2. menu / type / Create Outlines

Error. Not all text-based texts on the page have been converted into curves. Consequence. Time to search for other items and individual conversion. Waste of time and the risk of file defects for the printing process.

Best regards!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 異なるサイズ設定の文字が混在した縦組みテキストフレームを拡大・縮小した際、初めの設定部分だけ縦横が逆転する

Win7.cc2015.5にて

文字を流し込んだテキストフレームのサイズを拡大・縮小ツールで非等倍に変更すると、最初のサイズ設定部分のみ縦横の拡大が逆転してしまいます。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

9. Text Frame Options, Baseline Options, First baseline, Offset setting not respected

InDesign is changing the Text Frame Options / First Baseline / Offset to the default on existing documents.
    I open a document where nearly all my text boxes were set to "Cap Height" and they have all been turned to "Ascent" and now no longer fit in their text boxes. I have to open a Text Frame Options, click Baseline Options tab, and pull down the First Baseline, Offset to Cap height FOR EVERY PAGE, (after selecting all and changing to the direct selection tool)!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Creating New Hyperlink - doesn’t copy the full selected URL

InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

I discovered this lately due to client complaining about URLs not working after export to PDF.

As per my video, I select the full URL in the text box, select New Hyperlink, and the field doesn’t populate with full URL.
    After some testing, the cut off point seems to be random and don’t happen specifically at hyphens or periods.

Whether the URL flows to multiple lines or is on the same line, I get the same result.

What is causing this? This is a big issue since I work on documents that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Short cut special character not correct

When going to Type > insert special character > symbols > bullets
    short cut Alt+8 isn't correct for this I must use Alt+7.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. overriding styles

1. Apply a style to some text.

2. Make some change to this paragraph which changes the layout of the paragraph in some way. For example apply a first line indent different from the one in the original definition.

3. Now remove the override (I always do this from the paragraph styles panel).

4. The override is indeed removed, but the paragraph doesn't redraw, and it's unreadable until I page up/ page down, which forces the redraw. This certainly isn't the end of the world, but it would all run a lot faster if this didn't happen. :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. What about screenplay? Will InCopy replace Story?

Hello everyone.

I know that Story will be discontinued, and I noticed that the InCopy just came to play.

I was happy to have a screen writing software that I have already paid for, even though I am an adobe client for it's video editing softwares.
    If InCopy is capable to assist me on writing, I will not need to spend more money on writing

What I need from InCopy is what I had on story regarding to format, I mean: Scene Header, Action, Character, Parenthesis and Dialog... I just hit one key and I can swap between what I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Table Resizing

I love the table feature in inDesign, however there is one behavior that I wish was different. When I go to resize a row or column it pushes all the rows/columns down rather than adjusting the space according to the size of the table box. I have found many times that I would prefer setting the overall table size and then it doesn't go beyond that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него

Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него на рабочей области. Один и тот же текст выглядит в рабочей области и вне рабочей по разному. В рабочей области невозможно редактировать текст. (((

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Text disappears when task is changed

Text disappears when task is changed (returned to ID, v14 x64 Win10). Scrolling helps if the text is outside the window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Spell Check changing to Catalan (Spanish) half-way through

Spell check is changing from English to Catalan on a particular page of my document every time I check it. I have tried changing it back and will select English and then it will still say Catalan and try to change all of my words to Spanish.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. CC 2019 - Not all installed fonts show up in in search/font list

When I select a word, want to change the font and type a font that I have installed, it doesnt show up in the search. It does show up in the list though.

In the pictures, for example Alana and AnnabelleJF are in the List, but don't appear when searching for them. (Instead Andalus is showing, which didn't show in the list before...(???)

If i click on the Adobe Fonts Tab ("find more"/"mehr suchen") of course it shows those, but its a big hassle searching for a font and always having to switch between tabs. All installed fonts should be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Text cursor position not accurate

Using Text on Path (Circle), every time. If I click in specific area to make a text correction the cursor shows in the correct area needing change but when typing it is actually 4 characters out of place affecting text not needing changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. References

Problem

There does not seem to be a straight forward way to manage references in a scientific text.[1-3] While simple references[1] may be managed by bending the cross-reference tool[2] more advanced referencing situations[1,3] are not easily dealt with.

Suggestion

In the raw text, cite-keys can be inserted. The cite-keys are unique identifiers for the text entries (either in a table at the end of the document or in a separate bibtext file). Then a relatively simple functionality that basically does search-and-replace work could do the rest. Search for the first cite-key in the document, replace all its occurrences with 1.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base