Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

2. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

3. alt text issues

I'm trying to apply alt text to vector objects and some elements in a table manually in indesign. The "object export options" window isn't allowing me to change the alt text source to custom or anything else besides structure and I am unable to edit/add anything in regards to alt text. I've tested it on other text and images/elements within the document and still run into the same issue.

I'm having a difficult time trying to create an accessible tagged PDF due to this issue and many of the tutorials or help documents are outdated for CC capabilities. Any help…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Problem with Bookmarks that contain special characters

I have a document with bookmarks that contain phrases with words containing special characters (specifically Italian accents, for example: L’ubiquità della collaborazione)

Then I have buttons at the top of the document. Each button links to a specific bookmark. If the bookmarks contain this characters/accents, the button don't work.
    So the buttons only work when linking to bookmarks not contain special characters/accents.

Solved the problem by changing the procedure I used to create bookmarks:

This is what WON'T WORK:
    - highlighting all the text and then create a bookmark.
    Pro: The bookmarks are added automatically with all the sentence that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for over 20 years when…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Spell checker in InDesign CC2018 (13.0) has lost its mind

InDesign spell check is randomly not recognising everyday words and when I acknowledge it by clicking Ignore All or Skip, it stops again on the very next word to report an Uncapitalised Sentence. This is happening whether I have the Dictionary set to Proximity or Hunspell.

I cannot find a pattern other than that, but I have now experienced it on ten different InDesign documents. It is very annoying, but I am also left to wonder whether it is actually missing other words that might actually need correction?? PLEASE HELP.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

11. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem

1. InDesign CS4 - CC2017

2. Generate an Excel spreadsheet that contains at least one cell with the value "-1". Save as XLSX. Import/place (cmd-d) this file as "unformatted table".

3. the cells with the value "-1" should still have this value.

4. the cells are empty. All other values seem to show up correctly.

Additional information: Working regularly on Annual Reports with 100+ tables, our choice is to import as „unformatted table“ and to do all formatting in InDesign. After changes in Excel, all we have to do is updating the linked tables via the link panel. Table contents change, formatting stays. Perfect.…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

12. Ignore All not working in spell check

When using the spell check, the "Ignore All" feature no longer appears to work. When spell checking a long document this is a pain and it's really easy to miss something that is actually wrong.

This seems to be a fairly recent thing as it did used to work. Using the latest version of InDesign.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

1. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Discretionary Line Break doesn't work in CC 2018

In InDesign CC 2018, text won't automatically break where a Discretionary Line Break is inserted—such as after an Em-dash. This feature worked in InDesign CS6.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Text becoming conditional

If I have conditional text in which the condition include the paragraph mark, when I re-open the document, the following paragraph sometimes has the condition applied to it, even though it was unconditional before. This is a repeatable problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. footnote

Does InDesign plan to update its footnote options so that a single column text can have 2-column footnotes at the bottom?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base