Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign will not tag endnotes to XML

When Adding untagged items to the Structure, Indesign promptly states that Endnotes are not supported for XML tagging. I use XML tagging process for creating reliable Accessible WCAG compliant PDFs, and other export requirements. Please make Endnotes USEFUL - 1. keep in same story (not an additional frame) and make tagging process available.
    OR... a way to convert endnotes to linked cross references - even in tables!
    Tables if Indesign worst thought when it comes to footnotes and endnotes.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

4. Tagged artifacts are not propery exported to PDF

1. CC 2017.1
    2. Create an InDesign Document with correct tagging, articles, etc. Spend hours because there is no simple way doing this without expensive plugins. Our small monthly payment is used to include more important functions like Stock-Photos. Export PDF, correct some minor errors and check it with PAC. You´ll get many Content errors, because artifacts are not properly tagged. Try to solve it in Acrobat with the tags/order/...-panel. Spend more hours with vanishing objects and many other amusing bugs. Find the Preflight-Tool to tag all objects at once.
    3. Correct tagging while generating the PDF.
    4. Lost my mind ... Please overhaul…
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. indesign export

I export a pdf and then decide I want to make a tweak. So I tweak the indesign file, re-export my pdf, and then the pdf doesn't update the preview! I have to re-export TWICE in order for the pdf to be updated. Anybody else having this problem?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Which version of InDesign are you using?
    2. On which OS are you seeing this issue? Win or Mac?
    3. This issue is reproducible with each and every file or with some specific files?

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

6. PDF export with hyperlink incorrect when hyphenation is used in URL

When hyphenation is used within the URL the link will become corrupted. Using PDF Export with option Hyperlink ON.
    CC2017.1 (build 12.1.0.56) Mac and Win.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. indesign export to pdf unusable for Thai

Basically all the diacritics are messed up, regardless of font used. The PDF looks fine but the text if copied from the PdF is garbled.
    This is in 16.2.1 (2021). It was working in 2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Artefact issues with Accessible PDFs.

Elements on the master page are not tagged as artifacts, according to PAC 3.
    Not even with a corresponding style that has this property.
    PAC 3: https://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-accessibility-checker.html

This behavior also applies to these elements on a normal page:
    - Table borders
    - Paragraph border
    - Column rules

This is a big problem because these elements have to be defined manually as artifacts. This can quickly be hundreds of elements.

InDesign 16.2.1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Table borders, strokes, artifacted in InDesign problem

InDesign ver. 16.1 (2021): Table borders and strokes created on a separate layer and artifacted in InDesign are not tagged as artifacts when converted to PDF.
    Close to a hundred "Path Object" errors flagged by the PAC 3 Accessibility Checker which we are required to use. The problem is none of these borders and strokes can be accessed in Acrobat with the Reading Order tool and therefore cannot be marqueed as artifacts. They are simply “not available” in Acrobat, yet PAC 3 flags them as “Path Object Not Tagged” errors.
    ~ Replacing tables with paragraph borders (on single layer) in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cannot Export in PDF format

Adobe InDesign version: 16.0.1 x64

Platform: Windows 10, Version 20H2 (build SO 19042.685)

Problem:
    Suddenly, from a couple of days, I cannot export in PDF format anymore.
    When trying to export a file, I receive the message "Failed to Export PDF" (or something similar, I use the Italian version) – see image 1.

It doesn’t matter the settings in the export window, I tried almost all the combinations, but the PDF generation fails.
    I can export in.jpeg, for example, but it is not useful for me.

Infos:
    The same file has been successfully exported just a couple of hours before.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Endnotes are tagged incorrectly when exporting to Accessible PDF from InDesign 2021

In InDesign 2021, endnotes are not nested inside of a <Note> tag like they should be. Now only the Endnote number is in a <Note> tag and everything else is in a <P> tag. Normal behavior is to put each Endnote in its entirety within a <Note> tag. In addition, for several versions Endnotes and Footnotes are in a <Note> tag but then there's a <P> tag within the <Note> tag. The <P> tag is unnecessary and causes an error when trying to validate Accessible PDF. Please remove the <P> tag within <Note> tags when exporting to tagged PDF.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Variable font: Italic character wrongly displayed when exported to PDF format from InDesign.

I'm reporting this bug on behalf of the type design studio Dalton Maag. To reproduce: use the provided test font, write the lowercase letter "p" in Indesign, and choose the "Hair Italic" instance, or equivalently, set:
    - the font's weight axis to the minimum,
    - the width to its default value
    - the italic axis to its maximum.

Glyphs are shown without fault within InDesign itself. However, when exported to PDF format and opened on Acrobat Reader, there is an issue with how the letter “p” is displayed (see aktiv_vf_p_bug.png).

We are suspecting the issue is caused by a point…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. export to PDF from latest InDesign 2020 results in pixelated PNG or JPG images

Upgrading from 15.0 to 15.1 versions of InDesign CC breaks PDF exporting of PNG or JPG images. Images now appear pixelated and low res no matter how high the original resolution of the image is, even when exported at 300 dpi (Print Quality settings). PNG and JPG images are flat with no transparency.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Placed PDFs that contain hyperlinks when exported to PDF, links are removed

InDesign 15.1.1
    macOS Majave
    Acrobat Version (Architecture: x86_64
    Build: 20.9.20067.384717
    AGM: 4.30.101
    CoolType: 5.14.5
    JP2K: 1.2.2.46033)
    ========= END SYSTEM INFO ========

Step 1: Open Indesign and place the "Placed PDF.pdf" file on a page
    Step 2: Export the PDF using Adobe PDF Presets (High Quality) select Hyperlinks checkbox on export and save
    Step 3: Open exported PDF and put mouse over hyperlink that was present in document from Step 1.

Expected Result: would expect the hyperlink to remain clickable when exported from originating PDF

Actual Result: hyperlink was removed on export and is no longer clickable :( See attached document…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign 2019/2020, PDF export deletes components of some composite CJK glyphs when they overlap

Install the test font in the attached zip and open the the InDesign document. Exporting to PDF clears out the top part. This did not happen in 2018.

I initially reported this to Josh Hadley on 23 Jan 2020, who wrote up an internal report and came back to me, saying the InDesign team could reproduce and suggested working around the issue by decomposing everything or diverting the export through PostScript/Distiller. A very large client told us that this is not an option for them and would like a direct fix.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. buttons and forms text color

The Buttons and Forms Palette only allows for text size and font but not for text color and alignement (other than left) for creating forms for PDF these functions are essential to have !!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Tagged and other accessibility features not working properly in v15

It's not consistent, but a variety of issues often occur when exporting tagged files for 508 compliant PDFs. I often have to backsave to v.14 and all works fine in that. Sometimes I will get a pdf that has artifacts or other elements that have different tags than those assigned in the InDesign file. Sometimes I get urls that won't read on the read aloud function. Sometimes things work fine. It's happened often enough that it seems to warrant attention.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Exporting a PDF from Indesign is creating Form Xobject containers for everything.

This is happening to me now and is messing everything up for 508 accessibility remediation. Copied this from another user. "The latest version of InDesign exports PDF's in which most all the tagged content is in an Xobject container, making accessibility remediation MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. This is a huge step backwards. Attached are two examples, from the same client, annual reports- last year's was fine, this year's has all the xobject issues. Please advise, help, fix, something!!!"

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can't Export PDF due to Indesign background tasks error

I am using Indesign 2020 v15.0.02 and i am unable to export a large width document to PDF as I keep getting the Background Tasks Error. I have never seen this before.

I need to export a large mm doc design for our new outdoor sign and can't send to the printers as it wont export properly.

I've looked online but cant fix it myself despite trying tips.

Please help this is driving me insane!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base