Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign Comment Area for Edits and Notes

Is there a note feature in InDesign to add notes for edits? I have always added a text box from a copied email but wonder if their is a sidebar utility so I don't loose the notes as I page scroll. Normally I have 2 screens but I think this feature would be cool as I continue my career in InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring keyboard shortcut doesn't work

No funciona el atajo de teclado para traer al frente un objeto. Por contra, enviarlo atrás si funciona.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. InDesign opens with tiny window

For several recent versions of InDesign, and Windows, including the most recent of both (just updated InD yesterday, and this happened shortly after), I have on rare occasions had InD open as only a tiny box showing only the basic minimize/maximize/close buttons, and a window edge, positioned in the upper left corner. If I click on the maximize button, it goes to maximized, but then cannot grab outer edges to resize the box, and minimizes just goes back to almost nothing. If I then quit InD, USING FILE/QUIT, OR COMMAND-Q, then it will reopen OK. I think, maybe, this is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. home

Delete the new "home button" (located next to the "file" button) in Indesign, or turn it into an optional feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Books Panel Does Not Operate as a Standard Panel

The Books panel does not operate in the same manner as other, standard panels. When re-positioned, the panel size is changed, and the Workspace is updated or a new workspace is created, the Books panel does not 'remember' the changes that were placed on it. For the user, this is extremely frustrating behavior. The books panel should, at a minimum, remember its position/size in relation to a given workspace.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. open a file window

Hi. I'm running on InDesign 15.0.3 on macOS Catalina 10.15.5

I was editing a file when suddenly InDesign crashed. A crash report was submitted and no harm was done. I proceeded to open InDesign and everything seemed fine with one exception. When I go File > Open, the Open a File window color theme does not match the interface color theme I've chosen (which is set to Dark). I tried changing to all the other color themes and it remained the same. Then I went into my OS system preferences and made sure my appearance has Dark chosen for all…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

102 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Change font without changing style

Assume that I have selected some text which contains instances of bold, italic, or other "styles" (not INDD "styles," but variations of a typeface within a specific font family).

In previous versions of InDesign, I used to be able to change the typeface of the selected text, and maintain all instances of bold, italic, etc. In newer versions of InDesign, this is only possible when I navigate to the new font family by scrolling through the menu; when I search for a font family, I am presented with only the specific members of the family, not the family itself. This…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Text frame rules dialog

To Adobe:

do you find the color drop-down in the insert column rules dialog wide enough?

The whole contour group box is not perfectly arranged...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Blue Tool Tip and New Feature Boxes

Holy these things are annoying, considering i've been using Adobe products for 20 years i dont need basic things shoved in my face after a fresh install.... AND NO WAY TO TURN THE **** THINGS OFF.

Who's idea was that! Add a way to turn them off, just the obnoxious blue tips, not the old tooltips. .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

12. Bring back title bar icons from CC 2018

Those were so handy, why have they been removed? There is plenty of space on the title bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. UI SCALING ISSUE ON 4K DISPLAY ... TOO SMALL!!

As I'm sure you're aware by now, the tools and menu links in InDesign are way too small when displayed on a 4K screen. I've just installed CC on a new Dell XPS 15 7590 with 4K LCD screen with default Windows scaling setting of 250%, which works fine for all the Adobe apps I use (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Acrobat) except InDesign. PLEASE FIX!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. macOS Spaces

InDesign does not seem to properly use macOS Spaces. Some windows or popups prevent InDesign from showing up properly if the application is selected, either in the Dock or in the Command-Tab switcher.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. User Interface - Middle & Light Gray - Selections in Layers - Not Visible

The middle light gray Interface, third selection from left does not show the selections in the layers panel. it may change to a very close color. The lightest gray interface shows selections poorly., Not easily seen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Correct UI Resolution for 4K Screens

I have a 4K laptop (Dell XPS 15"), and the UI is just too small. Not small as in "I wish it was bigger", but rather "It is impossible to interact with the UI".

From scrolling through forums and such, it seems that this problem exists since 2014 or so, when 4K screens where a rare sighting.
    But now these screens are becoming more popular, and the fact that they aren't supported by InDesign is pretty absurd. Especially when other programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier etc.) work completely fine.

I've seen suggestions for workarounds that have to do with setting the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. CMD+O (Open File Dialog) Doesn't work after new 15.0 and 15.0.2 releases.

CMD+O no longer opens the "Open File Dialog" upon first entering InDesign after launch. Once you open a file thru the Menu, CMD+O starts working properly.

This was an issue in a previous version release, and now it has turned up again in this latest release.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When in text tool, command-a does not select all the Text in the Box, but all boxes on the page instead

When I am in text tool (and not just switched there but have been there for a longer time) and klick into a text box, and it CLEARLY has been selected and the curser is there, pressing command-a to select all the text in this box selects ALL the boxes on this page, even though the arrow has not been selected and the curser was already visible.

This happens so often that I am nearing madness with this bug. Is there a way to get this back to being normal again?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When using Hungarian keyboard, after some time Ctrl-Alt-X inserts # instead of non-breaking space

Possible memory leak: when using Hungarian keyboard and typing, after some time Ctrl-Alt-X inserts # instead of non-breaking space.
    inDesign has to be restarted to restore the original functionality.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. number input white

When trying to input a specific value for any number field, it's just white and won't reflect anything I type or reflect the change when I hit return.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base