Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

3. Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign in Windows ALWAYS forgets app size and position!

This has been a persistent pain for many YEARS. Everyone knows that an app should open to the last position and size. That's what the double-box icon is for in the upper right corner of the window border. Every single application in WIndows honors this "requirement" for Windows conformance.

InDesign forces Windows users to reposition and resize the program every single time it is opened. This becomes a tremendous nuisance, and in any other program would be considered incomplete and unprofessional. PLEASE, for all the users who don't know how to report this bug, and for those of us who…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Drop-down menu options not highlighting

Visual feedback of selected item works when moving down through list using Down Arrow Key. Visual feedback does not work when moving back up through the list using Up Arrow Key. It will select the correct item, it just doesn't show that the correct item is currently highlighted.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

6. Wrong menu selection launched from menu bar

Unlike the issue explained by another user below, my main menu bar selection opens correctly but the item selected from the main list is not launched. Instead, a random command is used. Example: choosing 'Export...' from File menu launches the Print Booklet dialog box. The problem happens randomly about every week or so. The only solution I've found is relaunching InDesign.

I'm attaching 3 videos of the problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. If I have no document open command + N does not work. If I have a document open then command + N does work. I go to new document via the dro

If I have no document open command + N does not work. If I have a document open then command + N does work. I go to new document via the drop down menu it still shows command + N as a shortcut for new document it also shows that is still being the shortcut when I go to preferences and lookup shortcuts. “Show Start Workspace When No Documents Are Open” Is already turned off. This problem is intermittent.
    Cc 2019, Mac OS 10.13.6

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Align toolbar: "Use Spacing" is greyed out

Version: Adobe InDesign cc 2019 (v 14.0)

Steps to reproduce:
    I'm not sure how to reproduce it. After some minutes of working, the checkbox for "Use Spacing" in toolbar Align/Distribute Spacing is greyed out and inactive. Not sure when it happens or what makes it happen.
    But: in the Properties toolbar, "Use Spacing" is not greyed out and it is working normal, as seen in the attached picture. If I click the checkbox in the Properties toolbar, then the checkbox in the Align toolbar is activated and not greyed out anymore.

Expected result:
    "Use Spacing" in Align toolbar should not…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.
    2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.
    3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign CC 2019 workspace loading incorrectly

when I open the program -workspace loading incorrectly
    when I open a new document - workspace falls
    when I close the document - workspace falls

InDesign CC (14.0.1.209)
    Windows 10, 64-bit
    2 monitors

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Space Bar Shortcut for Hand Tool

InDesign CC 2019 Running on OS High Sierra

Just started up program to find the space bar shortcut for the hand tool is not working. Checked Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 and short-cut is also not working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Second screen panels don't appear automatically

As part of my custom workspace, I have certain panels set up to appear on a second screen.

Since updating to Indesign CC 2019, no panels on my second screen appear by default when opening InDesign. Instead, I have to go to the Window drop down and manually open one of the panels assigned to the second screen, which then brings up all the second screen panels.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. GREP styles make UI drastically unresponsive in CC (while still fine in CS6)

Indesign 14.0.1, german, win7

For comparison in Indesign CS6 create a fresh single-page standard document, DinA4. Create a large textframe with 2 columns on page, fill frame with blind text. Have some styles with GREP styles looking for charactercombinations... (I know GREP styles are computationally intense, that's not the point.)
    Click and drag the the textframe with the mouse. The text gets greeked/switched off, the frame border is refreshed/re-drawn like 80 frames per second silky smooth WITH the grep styles. Save the document. Open that document in Indesign CC. Click and drag the frame - it's slow, like 2-5 frames…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Loading icon animation

The spinning icon dots are off-centred and rotate awkwardly. It's only visible briefly, but looks clumsy in a premium app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. windows 10 - paste number from clipboard history into X/Y-object coordinates

How to repeat the issue:

0. Activate Clipboard history in windows settings (win 10)
    1. Copy a random number to your clipboard (my testnumber "-2,375")
    2. Create a new document and place a rectangle (or random object) on your page
    3. Select the object and click (focus) in the field for the y-coordinates
    4. hit "windows+V" to open your clipboard history (must be activated in the settings)
    5. Click on your previous copied number.

6-Bug. The number has been pasted two times in the y-coordinates field.

Test system:
    - Win 10 pro (1809)
    - current Indesign CC version (how to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tiny Anchor Points

Increase size of anchor points on pahts/objects

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. File Info box does not displaying

File Info box does not display on screen. It can be escaped or the default OK chosen, but all other operations are locked out so you cannot find it. Operating InDesign 14.0.2 on macOS 10.14.4 using a secondary monitor LG Ultra HD Display 30.5 inch.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Pages

Adobe Indesign 14.0.1

Last row of Pages Panel doesn't display the page numbers. I'm unable to scroll lower either as the scroll bar is at limit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When relinking multiple files Skip causes a cancel, not a skip

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Select multiple files in the Links panel.
    2. Click the Relink button.
    3. Click on the Skip button at the bottom of the dialogue

Expected result
    The current file is skipped an I can continue to relink other files selected

Actual result
    The relink process is canceled

There is already a Cancel button so the Skip button should provide a different result. It seems intuitive that Skip means Skip this file, but continue with the other selected files.

Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. No Hyphenation in CC 2019 (ver. 14)

Hi there – it seems that the CC 2019 (v. 14) can't Hyphenate. I use – without luck – the checkbox in the Control Panel. Have I missed a secret Button?

Mac Book Pro - Mac OS Sierra - ver. English International -

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base