When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable relative searches, e.g. 'point size more than 10 pts' or 'space before less than 6 pts'

You can use the Find Text and Find Grep features to look for certain constant values, e.g 'point size 12 pts', 'tracking 75', 'space before 6 pts'.

But it's not possible to search for relative values, e.g. 'point size less than 12pts'. And it's not possible to do negative, e.g. search for certain text in paragraphs that do not have a certain paragraph style applied.

These features would make it much easier to find text with missing or incorrectly applied formatting, and generally would mean that the search scope can be specified more flexibly, which in turn means that InDesign's…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to disable missing-font notification

Please add an option in the preferences that enables the user to ignore missing fonts when opening a document. It's possible to disable notification of missing images -- please do the same for fonts.

Reason: I often get documents from customers and don't have the fonts. Dismissing the dialogs that tell me that the document I'm opening contains missing fonts gets tedious. I easily dismiss the dialogs dozens and dozens of times.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. some difficulties when typing Hebrew and English text in same paragraph or line

the comma always moves at the wrong position than placed.
    see this video where i describe the problem

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Shading and Underline conflict

Some underline strokes become invisible when Paragraph Shading is applied.
    If removed shading then strokes appear.
    That's a bug, shading always must go bottom.
    Two screenshots are from Indesign, with and without paragraph shading. The last screenshot is from Acrobat, i've deleted manually gray frames to reveal the hidden strokes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Insert special character — Unicode compliance

Unicode is required to meet accessibility standards and several forms of publishing technologies.

The keyboard shortcuts and right-click/opt-click Insert Special Characters shortcuts need to be updated to insert the Unicode versions of these glyphs.

The Unicode glyph charts are at www.Unicode.org

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow to use a footnote multiple times on one page

I'm working with tech documents and spec lists that often have one footnote applying for several items like:

Item A
    Item B (footnote 1)
    Item C (footnote 2)
    Item D (footnote 1)
    Item E (footnote 3)

Instead of having footnote 1 listed twice (which looks very odd and consumes space), it would be awesome to have some slick way to deal with this without the need of working with crossreferences and alike.

I'm aware of adding a superscript 1 for the second appearance but it doesn't automatically counts up when adding a new footnote prior to the automatic footnote.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Duplicate Table of Contents Style... Alt-[New]

Adding the possibility of duplicating TOC Style or Create New based on old one.

We still have only the option New and Edit. And all new styles have to be defined from scratch.
    Or add the shortcut Alt-[New] to create New based on old one.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Define word count when filling placeholder text

When creating documents waiting on content to be supplied, would be great to be able to define number of words or paragraphs for placeholder text to help accurately identify space that may be required.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Non-uniform spacing AND rounded corners

I would love to be able to set the inset spacing of top, bottom, left and right independent of one another in a text box that has rounded corners. My current work around is to have multiple boxes-one with a rounded corner and another with text. If it were all apart of one box, it would make my workflow faster and all of the boxes would be uniform and easier to make changes to.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Incorporate of Indian rupee symbol ₹ on the default keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+4 for Indesign and Illustrator

Please incorporate indian rupee symbol ₹ on the default keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+4 for Indesign and Illustrator.

This is a default keyboard shortcut for all application to type Indian rupee symbol and Microsoft has released a patch for the same.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make "Paste without formatting" work for any type of text in clipboard

If I want to paste text into InDesign and use the destination formatting rather than whatever the source is, I'm hard-wired to use "ctrl + shift + V". However it appears that if the contents of the clipboard are plain text, this command isn't available, presumably because InDesign thinks it's not necessary.

This means that the interface is inconsistent, because sometimes you need ctrl + V and sometimes you need ctrl + shift + V, depending on what's on the clipboard.

The option should always be available so that if you want plain text you can use the ctrl +…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow import of endnotes as plain text

I have to be honest. The footnote / endnotes automation in Indesign is a complete failure. I absolutely HATE it!!! Please, allow me to turn this feature off, and import endnotes as plain text in the same text flow as the article. Seriously, the addition of the automated endnotes feature has damaged my relationship with Adobe. It is just terrible.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow paragraph shading to end at each line without forced line break

Allow a ragged paragraph highlight without having to hard return at the end of each line to do it

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Underlining that skips characters with descenders

While it is a last resort in typography, when I do underline I prefer it to be just below the baseline. But this default underline overlaps descenders. Rather than having to lower underlines to avoid these clashes, could the Underline Options panel or another feature detect when an underline will overlap a descender and skip that character? - Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. text box handles: right side

Please put a handle on the righthand side of text boxes that is not hidden by either the "click to edit corners" yellow box or the text-thread button when the text box is vertically challenged, as it were. Sometimes I want a text box to maintain a specific height but need to pull it wider to the right. If the text box is tall enough, the righthand pull handle is easily accessible, but if the text box is short, there' no way to pull the box wider to the right without either making it taller or using one of the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import font attributes of text used in PDF comments such as underscore, bold, italic, etc.

Import font attributes of text used in PDF annotation such as underscore, bold, italic, etc.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fit frame to text WIDTH (not just height)

When working with text in a text frame, we have the FIT FRAME TO CONTENT button that collapses the frame height to the minimum height required to fit the existing text. That's great, use it all the time, but it doesn't collapse the width at all.

It would be nice if there was also a checkbox/option or different button that would also collapse the text frame's WIDTH to the width of the longest line.

This would make it quick and easy to distribute spacing between a bunch of little text boxes aligned in a row. Right now I have to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Find/Change "negatively" on a paragraph/character/object property (i.e., look for a style set to anything BUT 13pt)

It would be nice if find/change had to ability to search for everything BUT something. For example, if I had a style named "text" where the leading was defined as 13pt but I wanted to only find instances where the leading was NOT set the 13pt because of some local override. But these overrides might be 14pt or 15pt, but that would required 2 or more separate searches. I don't necessarily know how many paragraphs have been locally overridden from the set 13 unless I page through and look for each paragraph by sight. I realize the local Style Override…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make 'Character Style' have bullet options

It would be useful to be able to define bullets as part of a character style, rather than a separate paragraph style.

Often, bullet paragraphs only differ from the body text by the addition of a bullet and the associated indent.

Being able to define bullets as a character attribute, rather than a paragraph style, would allow more flexibility with the new options concerning consecutive paragraphs of the same style (borders, spacing).

If I have a paragraph of text and then a couple of paragraphs of bullets, but the bullets were defined by a character style I could have a…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PLEASE ADD IN INDESIGN THE EQUATION EDITOR.

Please add the new add in is "Equation Editor" like found in Microsoft Word, it is very useful

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base