How can we improve InDesign?

Static Endnotes

I need a possibility to turn off the automatic endnote function that appears in InDesign CC 2018. It may be practical for some applications, but it greatly impedes the flexibility of many designs. Can someone tell me if this is possible – the endnotes don't need to be dynamic for my purposes. The way they were imported when placing a Word document in ID CC 2017 was fine.
Richt now, the only way I know to work around it is to use Peter Kahrel's footnote to endnote script.

43 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Stark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

42 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Thomas Stark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In case this helps anybody: At present, I can only help myself by making sure that the Word document has footnotes (not endnotes), and and after placing it in Indesign use Peter Kahrel's foot_to_end_dynamic.jsx script; then I have to change bullets to text, and then delete cross references. At this point I’m where I was in InDesign CC 2017, when I simply placed a Word document with endnotes in InDesign. I hope somebody at Adobe comes up with a fix soon.

• Robert Kern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While a fan of the endnotes "feature" my clients almost all want print and HTML exports, and MOST endnotes have URLs in them. When exporting to HTML, hyperlinks break the endnotes. Please, please fix this bug. If you could enhance the "feature" to allow the compositor to select where the endnotes were place (end of story, new story, new document), that would be great, too.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I like the idea of dynamic endnotes, this "improvement" has totally messed up our workflow. We put out several magazines and newsletters, all with endnotes at the end of articles. I assumed "load cursor" meant that the endnote would load into the cursor and force me to put it in a separate text box WHERE I WANTED IT when placing the word doc. because to me, that would make sense. please fix this :)

• Chuck Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to cast my vote for the option to import Endnotes as static. In our publication, the endnotes for a particular story have always appeared at the end of that story.

• Matt Mayerchak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree we need to be able to import Endnotes as static, at least until Adobe fixes the way they currently do not work. This is way worse than the way it was before they "improved" it. It is extremely rare that we would keep the endnotes threaded to the text frame. It just is not versatile enough as is. These features seem to be designed by people who have no understanding of how people actually work on documents in the real world.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The newest Quark XPress update addresses this issue excellently! Maybe it's time to leave Indesign for Quark. Here's what Quark has done:
    Word Import enhanced — The Word import filter now supports explicit options to include/exclude Footnotes, Hyperlinks and Pictures. You can also import Footnotes as static text at the end of the story flow and import Word tables as native QuarkXPress tables.

• Hywel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree with the OP - this new "feature" in ID 2018 has totally ******* up my workflow. I have been using InDesign to produce an academic magazine for 12 years and was perfectly happy with the previous endnote feature - all articles in the magazine heavily feature endnotes . My preferred solutions to this totally unnecessary problems are (i) option to work like it used to (ii) option to flow endnotes at the end of the story, not on a separate story page. I would like to know if anyone actually requested this new feature?

I would like to chime in on the plea for an option to disable the new endnotes "feature." Designers should not have to reinstall old software, run scripts, or watch tutorials to learn how to workaround a major software change that was sprung on us like a virus attack. If some designers asked for this endnote feature, announce it as an add-on, and let them watch tutorials. Allow the rest of us to check a box that says: "No, thank you," and get on with our work day.

I can only add to the frustration expressed here about this new endnote feature in InDesign. I design academic magazines and books, and we put endnotes at the end of each article (magazine) or chapter (books). In the case of books, there may also be photographs throughout the text. This involves a 'flow' through all the pages from start to end. This endnote feature and creation of a separate box... it is bewildering!! It is part of a trend I'm experiencing of perfectly sensible software design making changes for the worse. Nobody could have tested the UX on a design-for-print designer who uses endnotes. Like others, I'm using InDesign 2017. How long with that remain an option? This issue cost me most of yesterday afternoon working on a book that is needed urgently to go for indexing.

• jageez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My publishing clients create separate endnote files and ask me to remove any footnotes from the chapter files when I import them. This new "feature" removed all the endnote references in one book before I realized what was going on. To avoid such problems, I now import my text in CC17 before working in CC18.

PLEASE provide an option to turn off this feature. It may work fine for short reports and papers but is a disaster for books.

What a mess. Adding hours to my workday trying to find a workaround for this. I do newsletters, and need the endnotes at the end of each story. NOT THE VERY END. Some have 100+ footnotes, I'm seriously suppose to renumber manually???

• Erin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this feature is more nightmare than help. Option to turn off is a MUST. I'm going back to InDesign CC 2017 until this is resolved.

• Tim Newcombe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 'live' endnotes are nice, in theory, but the execution is terrible. Why they couldn't have been implemented either as a live list at the end of the text (ie exactly the same as they've always been, just with live update), or even the same way as Footnotes, but all gathered at the end of the story, is just mystifying. Who on earth tested this implementation and responded with "good job Adobe"?

• Sandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, you should be able to turn off this option. My customers do not want or need the automatic linking. The footnotes and endnotes need to be separate from the text. Is this possible? This is a real problem.

Please add my vote to the growing list of designers who would like a solution to the new Endnotes "feature." It adds extra work and creates potential for some real screw-ups at publish time.

I absolutely agree with Katies and other comments! Indesign CC18 is not useable to us now concerning to manage endnotes. Please repair!!!

• Katie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree with all the comments here. This bug is a DISASTER for our graphic design/bookmaking firm. Automatically tossing the endnotes (in their own text box) at the end of file is extremely inconvenient & problematic. When we attempt to delete the endnote text box all the endnotes within the body of the text are lost. Manually entering all of the endnotes is NOT sustainable for large projects. Adobe please address this issue with a SOLUTION ASAP and/or revert to the way InDesign previously treated endnotes - keeping them at the very end of the imported text.

• Meghan Aloshen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. My team and I design a magazine monthly and need the endnotes to go immediately after each article. Automatically tossing them at the very end of the magazine is annoying and frustrating and can throw off our page count if not properly caught. I much prefer the way InDesign previously treated endnotes - keeping them at the very end of the imported text.

• Dwayne Cogdill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a magazine designer, and nothing has frustrated me more than the footnote feature. I really hate it! I need the ability to convert footnotes to endnotes, and I prefer that those endnotes be plain text so I can design them the way I want. The footnote feature is just a hassle. I would be happier if it simply did not exist!

• Cro Dubrovnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you will fix this BIG BUG in Indesign 2018 with automatic Endnotes!!!????? I hope fast! And why in the world you change that!??? Please make possible to back normal text with endnotes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base