1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows File Explorer Preview

A feature that shows a preview of an .indd document in the Windows File Explorer preview pane. Other file formats such as PDF, EPS, Excel, Word, AI, etc. will show the file in the preview pane.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indesign feature

Please add in "outline stroke" (which is an illustrator function) to indesign. We need this for when a printer requests that all strokes are outlined.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Cross Reference feature - Relink selection to a different Indesign document

I need assistance to add a feature to the cross references panel. Right now you cannot batch relink cross references to a different indesign document. I need a feature added to this such as relink selected, locate different document, select and relink. Right now the only way to do this is to individually relink each cross-reference. For example if I have a book file and the glossary with 250 entries in it and I change some of the content from one document to another and move the text anchors with it, I have to individually relink each cross reference. Could…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Speed up for Windows 10

InDesign is very slow to start on a new Windows 10 machine with 16GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive. It takes over 2 minutes from the time I click the icon until it's usable.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. file version-control

At the moment I control versions of a project with different files:
    project-xy-01.indd
    project-xy-02.indd
    project-xy-03.indd
    project-xy-04.indd

It would be helpful for my narrow disk-space to have the versions in one file! If I need to go back to a former version of the project it would be nice to have a panel where I have a visual overview of the former versions (I generated) which I can label and select.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Use data merge field to export filename

I have created 3 different invitations with a personalized company name on it, coming from excel with data merge. And when I want to export it as .jpg, it is not possible to export : invitationVIP<<company>>.jpg

now I have a list of "numbers" which i have to browse on which company I have to send my vip voucher to, instead of using the explorer search to find the company name that I need.

Conclusion : I need a way to export JPG (and maybe PDF) files using the data merge feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can we PLEASE have a better way to manage saved search queries?

I'm a very heavy user of InDesign's ability to save specific search-and-replace queries, especially for GREP. But every single time you folks do a major update to InDesign, my custom saved search-and-replace queries (GREP, Text, Glyph, Object) go away. I've taken to backing up the .xml files with my backup software and manually restoring them after each program update, but something has changed in the last version, and simply restoring them to the applicable folders no longer restores them to the program Find dialog listing. I've got more than thirty mission-critical GREP queries alone. Re-writing them from scratch each major…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make PDF Commenting Panel consistent and better designed

1. In one place in the panel, it's called Accept. In the flyout menu, it's called "Apply Auto Edit."

2. Why did we suddenly start calling the checkbox "Resolve"? I know that's the term that Acrobat uses, but it's confusing. Especially, when it's located alongside a word called "Accept." You're making users try to figure out new nomenclature when the old words worked just fine.

3. The icons on the left of the panel are way too subtle. In Acrobat, they are color coded. Replace text is blue. Strikethrough text is red. Sticky notes are yellow. Underlines are green. Why can't we have…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. change idml file icons

In (I believe the 2017) iD update, the file icon used for idml versions of a document became very similar in color and form to the one used for indd files. It causes a lot of confusion during workflow (people editing or supplying idml files instead of indd files). Any chance we can go back to the more obviously bland file icon for idml -- or redesign the existing one so it is easier to spot the difference at a glance? - Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Updates to Import PDF Comments feature

1. Need to be able to (Command + C) text in comments to copy. The copy button is laggy as hell and a time suck.

2. Need to be able to change a comment from delete to replace or vice versa.

3. Need to be able to edit comments in order to fix user error. For example. misspelling or extra text (delete comma) etc.

4. Need to sort and filter resolved and accepted comments.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add more bar code formats

InDesign only creates QR codes. Please add other formats such as UPC, GS1, 2D, etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Preferences/Units & Increments/Cursor Key Distance

Please make this feature faster to change. It is the first preference in Illustrator and I love that. Can you make it the first preference in InDesign? I change this number a lot. Right now I have to hit command k, hit the down arrow five times, tab six times, change the number and hit enter. It wasn't always this hard. It doesn't have to be this hard now. Please fix to make it easier.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Data Merge > Create Tagged PDF checkbox

On Data Marge > Export to PDF just let us select the "Create Tagged PDF".

For example, I have 1300 records, an 8 page document template and have to export 1300x 8pp uniquely named PDF files - files names from data.

Currently have to:
    1. run the merge in groups of 100 records otherwise InDesign will hang
    2. create tagged PDFs from the 13x 800pp InDesign files (50 minutes per 100)
    3. combine PDFs
    4. create bookmarks from content
    5. split by bookmark structure

Points 1, 2 and 3 could be combined by simply allowing "Create Tagged PDF" and save…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. conditional text in GREP style

Enable conditional text in GREP style, to take more controlling in styles

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Have user Templates available on the splash screen/new document page

Creating templates greatly enhances document workflow creation. 2 things would make that even better:
    Make the templates available on the splash screen/new document dialog - possibly under the saved tab.
    Create a workflow that would allow for documents created from a template to update if the template is changed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add tags to grouped items

Adding tag structure to grouped items would help those of us who need to perform 508 compliance on long documents with multiple grouped items without having to go back and find those grouped items and ungroup them.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Export layered psd

It would be great to be able to export Indesign layers to layered PSD with cropped Indesign images as masked in Photoshop.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Use regular selection tool with grouped objects

I would like to be able to select multiple objects within a group using the regular Selection Tool. Currently InDesign only allows me to select 2 items within a group. If I try to select a third object it "exits" the group. The Direct Selection Tool allows me to select multiple grouped objects, but will sometimes select just a vertex or other sub-element of an object. It would be great if the regular selection tool could select as much content within a group as desired. Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Let users know (via email) if they should update their system or not

Guys, if you could let us know if we (Mac users) should update our Macs or not, that would be great. You got our emails. You could just send one email to all registered users 'hi guys, our products are not ready for new version of your OS, please be careful with update'. It costs you nothing. That would save a lot of our nerves. Of course, we could check your website before updating, but it is so inconvenient.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base