When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Hyperlinks to Stay Live in PDFs ... Even After Importation into InDesign

Hi folks

We have figured out a 'work-around' to the problem of maintaining live hyperlinks in PDFs throughout the entire exporting/importing process in InDesign. However, it's purely a bandaid - although it works well. It would be great to have this process built in as a feature. I've attached a PDF with our workflow methodologies for your review.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hyperlink through ENTIRE book.

Hyperlink pages throughout an entire book. You can only link on the current pages of a document and not the book - I've a 100 page + document and I've to combine it into one doc - madness!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New file icons (cc 2018) a step back

Just wanted to bring up something that is hindering my workflow as-of-late - the new file icons for Adobe (using Mac).

I find that the new icons are abrasive visually, but beyond that the function is a bit of a setback. For instance, I used to be able to tell the difference between an .indd file and an .idml file even at the smallest icon size, because there was a distinct difference between the two. Now, however, the difference is so subtle, given that the color/shape of the icons are nearly identical, save a little beveled corner that is indistinguishable…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create a new document based on selected pages of an existing indesign document.

I would like to be able to select pages within an existing InDesign document and create a new document using those pages, much like you can with layers in photoshop.

In photoshop when you select 'duplicate layer(s)' you have the option of duplicating them into different documents, including a new one. When I am designing a business card for a client, for example, I present multiple options. I will make all of the options in one document as separate pages. When they choose one I would like to be able to select the specific pages and duplicate them straight to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add an option in Find/Change to "Continue from cursor position".

Presently, if you search and then "work" on what you find, and then continue your search, InDesign starts the search over from the beginning. This is frustrating.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bleed on different size page documents

Allow for documents with different size pages the ability to choose which page has bleed. For example, when creating a document that has a card and envelope in it, choose the card page to have bleed/crop marks and remove bleed/crop marks from the envelope.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Scroll document whilst Pop up window is visable (e.g Place)

When any pop up windows like Save/ Place/ Export is open it is useful to be able to scroll the document in background.

For example: In InDesign CS6 and you can scroll the document behind the Place pop-up window. In Adobe CC this function no longer works – which slows the design and layout process down.

This feature was especially useful when producing books with many images in.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Place a page from a document into itself on a different page

I work on price lists and we have a page that explains how to use the price list. In that descriptive page, I insert an illustrator file of one of the product pages. The problem is that the information, prices and images are changed from time to time and the description page becomes outdated. If I were able to place an indesign page from the same document into itself then the information would always be up to date.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. It is SO important to have footnotes continue the numbering throughout a whole document without restarting the numbering every text frame

It is bad document design to have the whole document in one single text frame (a nightmare when doing changes and everything moves). At the very least each chapter should start with a new text frame. So it seems crazy that you can set footnote numbering to restart every page, spread or section but when none of these are selected the numbering should flow through the whole document! NOT restart for each text frame. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. swap pages

The ability to select 2 non-contiguous pages>right click/select from the contextual mouse menu & have the option to "Swap Pages...." - instead of just "Move Pages....".

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. remove canvas size limits for wide format printing _ or make an option to work in 10% scale mode

Either remove the limitations or provide a "10% mode" that can be switched to (with a click of a button) that calculates dimensions and gives a visual representation of the artwork degradation of the files after enlarging to 100%

actually anything that would help large format printers - which is a large part of your user base - but seems to be forgotten during your program design stage

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. gpu on non-retina mac machines

I am staggered that Adobe InDesign does not support GPU performance on standard display i-Macs - there must be tens of thousands of frustrated InDesign users now struggling with performance issues. This is a huge oversight, particularly when Photoshop and Illustrator both support GPU performance on older iMacs - sad to say very poor of Adobe.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please make hyphenation an option, NOT the default

In the Paragraph Panel, hyphenation is selected as the default option, but we know that breaking words across lines lowers readability in text. Please keep it as an option for instances where it's needed, but don't make it the default. When changing it, it should also be universal to a document (in other words, you shouldn't have to click every text box to turn it off).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. merge text frames

When copying data from other inDesign files into a new InDesign file, I always end up with multiple text frames, most of them empty, because it creates a new text frame every time, stacked on top of the empty one that was already there. It's very frustrating and has been a talked-about issue for a while (based on my Google searches.) Please, add a Merge Text Frames option to the menu. None of the scripts I've used have worked. It's torturous. As an author, I am constantly editing my text and it's frustrating to realize that adjusting a master page…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Master Pages to be Marked so that Page Numbering Ignores Them

Sometimes my documents have pages that don't count as pages when it comes to page numbering but I can't set exceptions to Master Pages so that they are not included.

I can restart the numbering manually using exiting tools, but the numbers are rendered incorrect if any pages are moved. Having the ability to mark a Master Page as "don't include this page for numbering purposes" would be very useful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show page information in layout

I want the option to display a pagename and/or pagesize on top of pages. This would be very useful when designing several adds in the same ID-file, many with almost the same size. With the ability to name the pages it will be easier to navigate the file. I have attached an example.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Indesign work files have huge file size

I am used to work with older versions of indesign, and sometimes quark. The file sizes I am used to is around 300 Mb at most. On the newer indesign I get file sizes up to almost 3 GB! All the images I use combined in the document is not even a quart of that size, and I do not embed any images. This takes up a lot of space and makes it hard to work in a network environment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make the visibility of a form field contingent on text entered in a previous form field.

More specifically, I need text entered into a previous form field prior to the visibility of other fields. For example, you cannot fill out a title field without completing a name box previously. Ideally, this could be an option under "event" on the "Buttons and Forms" menu.

This is valuable when creating a form where data needs to be input for followup form fields to become visible.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow the dynamic note function to be turned off so notes can be copied and pasted into separate documents

For all those of us who work on illustrated books with end matter, the fact that we cannot turn off the new dynamic note function is a serious problem. It means we can no longer copy notes out of a document and place them at the back of the book in a separate notes section without losing all of the note numbering.

The ability to add and remove notes without having to renumber by hand is great, but please give us the option to turn that off. For exhibition catalogues and academic art books, for example, all the notes have…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Colorsettings in New Document dialog box

I would love to have the ability to choose my color settings (ICC profile, conversionsettings, etcetera) from within the new document dialog box. When I create a new document I would like to be able to define the colorsettings. Especially the color profile and rendering intent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base