2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

385 results found

1. InDesign Templates and Style updates

I start by making an InDesign template and incorporating all the object and paragraph styles I think I'll need. Then from my template I create my first document. However, as I proceed with actual content on that document I find I want to modify some styles, add new ones, etc.

There does not seem to be a way to have my template updated automatically with those style changes/additions. This would be a great help because my template is no longer usable as an "old version". So, I have to save my new document onto and replace that older template (without…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Please, please turn off the automatic hyphenation in a document. This hyphenates all words at the end of all lines.

Please turn off automatic hyphenation. I publish in other languages in which any hyphenation must be manually inserted.

At the moment the automatic hyphenation places a hyphen at the end of nearly every line. This totally destroys the readability of the language.

I know that you can untick the box for every style in every chapter, but this adds a burden-and time- to the task.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Automatic page addition or subtraction when links are updated

Dear Team,

My organization uses InDesign to compile our tender documents which vary from about 200 pages to 3000 pages in pdf format. These documents tend to change in terms of the number of pages with each tender. It would save a lot of time if InDesign would check for the new page numbers and add or remove the pages accordingly when updating links. Currently if I update my pdf file to have a few more pages, InDesign does not recognize the extra pages and therefore excludes them all together. I have to manually add the pages which is time…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Dictionary presetting synchronization for all open documents

Hey support,

is there a possibility to add a checkbox in InDesign under „Presettings“ to the point Dictionary (especially spelling) which allows the program to use the chosen spell-setting for all documents in a universal way?
    Actually I have to check and set this spell-setting for each single document.

My proposition:
    Under "Preferences" you could put a hook under "Dictionary", which takes over the dictionary for all documents without having to reset it again and again. When you open a new document, it takes over default spelling.

Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Find/replace objects according to their X/Y coordinates

Dealing with multiple InDesign books comprising thousands of pages, I would need to find all objects located at (or, preferably, within) certain X/Y coordinates, so as to automatically reposition them. You've made halfway to this in CC2018, implementing the size properties in the find/replace dialog box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Duplicate page, remove guides, select similar objects on whole document

Need to duplicate not only one page at a time, but set the amount of copies,

and get it inserted right after the duplicating page not after the last page.

Need to remove guides and select (edit) similar objects, like container boxes, not only on a spread but on the whole document.

Need to select all boxes on the spread and insert the same image into all in one click.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Hyperlink through ENTIRE book.

Hyperlink pages throughout an entire book. You can only link on the current pages of a document and not the book - I've a 100 page + document and I've to combine it into one doc - madness!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to save .indt template files to the new document dialog box

It would be very beneficial if there was an option to import and save .indt template files into the new document dialog box for easy access.

Similar or the same as the Adobe Stock templates feature that is available in the new document dialog box.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add an option to show Master Page data in the links palette

Add options for showing Master Page info to the long list of item in the Links Palette options. Should definitely include "Master Page Prefix" and "Master Page Name", might as well include "Based On" and "Number of pages" while you're at it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Backup the user-defined Document Presets in a different file than Preferences

At the moment, if a user creates several "New Document" Presets in the "New Document" window, they will be deleted if the User has to reset their InDesign preferences.

It would make more sense if the hard work that is put into creating New Document Presets was saved in a different system file (or clouded) so that
    1-they don't get lost if resetting InDesign Preferences and
    2-the Presets could be shared with other team members easily

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Optional expansion of layout area

Sometimes it would be handy if, instead of a warning message, ID would ask, if you would like to expand the layout area to prevent objects from being out of bound.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Complex spread layout and spread containing 10+ pages

We do a lot of large format printing. In some cases we have large displays arranged in rows and columns. Unfortunately it's not possible to arrange pages of a spread in rows and columns like in Illustrator.

I could create a large page and freely arrange smaller pages inside the large page, but that's very limited, because all pages need to be part of the same spread—and spreads itself are limited to 10 pages.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Feature to update links of placed InDesign documents

I often place multiple InDesign documents containing links into another one to create an overview of assets for our clients. This way I can jump directly to a specific document and make changes.
    But if I directly modify a link of a linked document, I'm not able to update those remote links in my asset overview.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fix the printing bug for text-heavy documents

In the 2018 InDesign, the text heavy pages won't print. Even, sometimes, if I save as a simple PDF, strip color, change fonts, etc. I've then tried to save it as an .idml file but that won't work now, either. By the way, I could print it fine last week—until I upgraded to 2018's version. I want to revert to 2017 but it has vanished. This is a bug in the new InDesign that needs fixing right now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Spelling: "Ignore All" does not hold when reopening saved file

Spelling: "Ignore All" for items one doesn't want to put in the user dictionary, like proper names, citation references, etc. These one-time decisions are not sustained after saving and closing the ID file and starting again opening it the next time. Once these decisions are made, they should be saved with the file save and the user should not have to keep redoing them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow users to password protect elements

Allow users to password protect styles, master pages, ... in documents, preventing unwanted changes...

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Multiplier le nobre des pages d'une planche

Je dois créer une brochure en acordeon qui contient 16 page. Or la limite d'une planche est de 10 pages. Est-il possible de rectifier cela?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Cross-Reference feature

I'm an avid user of InDesign; currently working on a book-length document of about 150 pages. I often want to cross-reference something said earlier; however it is buried somewhere in the hundreds of paragraphs of the article story format. That means it's very hard to find that paragraph so that I can simply refer to the page number it's on (see attached file of image capture).

Here's my suggestion: Add a field in the cross-reference dialog box where you can copy in a few leading words of the paragraph you want to find, then have the paragraph text field find…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. New file icons (cc 2018) a step back

Just wanted to bring up something that is hindering my workflow as-of-late - the new file icons for Adobe (using Mac).

I find that the new icons are abrasive visually, but beyond that the function is a bit of a setback. For instance, I used to be able to tell the difference between an .indd file and an .idml file even at the smallest icon size, because there was a distinct difference between the two. Now, however, the difference is so subtle, given that the color/shape of the icons are nearly identical, save a little beveled corner that is indistinguishable…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Create a new document based on selected pages of an existing indesign document.

I would like to be able to select pages within an existing InDesign document and create a new document using those pages, much like you can with layers in photoshop.

In photoshop when you select 'duplicate layer(s)' you have the option of duplicating them into different documents, including a new one. When I am designing a business card for a client, for example, I present multiple options. I will make all of the options in one document as separate pages. When they choose one I would like to be able to select the specific pages and duplicate them straight to…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base