When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adding the ability to create a new textbox from selected text.

By adding the option to make a text selection its own, new text box, it takes the hassle out of having to switch through tools and reformat copy. With this option, layouts would be a lot easier to fathom when you can break up the text simply by highlighting and creating the new box.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lock text passages e.g. legal texts

We have a lot of texts for legal reasons in our sales brochure. Like somewhere in between. Now we have a workaround to put these texts at the end of a page at the same spot in every brochure but while editing it often happens that e.g. by accident parts of the texts get erased.
    It would be so helpful to lock important parts of the text but keep them in the whole text "fluently" at the same time. It doesnt matter where the text is but it has to be there.
    I hope I described my request clearly enough... …

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Right to Left direction

In the previous version, I could simply change the paragraph from LTR to RTL but now I have to uninstall all Adobe applications and delete the preferences so I can change the language in Creative Cloud to English Hebrew or English Arabic. Can this turn back to what it was? It was way easier and more user-friendly. All this work for one paragraph when I could previously do it with a click seems just too much.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Italian hyphenation

In the Italian language activate the automatic hyphenation of the words composed with apostrophe: for example -- dell'acqua -- del-l'acqua

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Highlighting different anchor point of anchored objects to differentiate them from each other

My team uses a lot of anchored objects within tables etc and sometimes it becomes difficult to know which object belongs to which anchor point. Would be great for there to be a way to highlight when you select an object, which anchor point it belongs to. Maybe by changing the colour?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. More options for formatting numbered lists

could we have two character styles applied to auto-numbering. One for the generated number and one for extra glyphs inserted in the "number" field in Bullets and Numbering. Or some other way to control the appearance/baseline shift etc. separate from the number itself.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hyperlinks from word

It would be good/wonderful, if the hyperlinks from a word document would import like the endnotes and footnotes. Right now it takes a lot of my time to enter them manually in long documents. When you have approximately 10-15 hyperlinks per page in a 60 pages documents it takes too much times...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please implement support for fast entry of Mac OS accented chars asap

Mac OSX now supports accents very cleanly and simply c/o press and hold briefly (a, e whatever) then your accent choices display as in the attached screengrab. This feature is supported in all Mac apps, email clients, etc etc ... even dare I type, MS Word v15.40 (171108). But not InDesign (yet ... as of 13.0.1). Very disappointing for a s/w vendor that is otherwise at leading edge of all things creative design / innovative UIs ...
    - rob d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Font stack for missing glyphs

Not every base text font has all the glyphs I sometimes need -- some need only a few math or Greek symbols, others need Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, or even Devanagari. Currently I manually hunt and pick them from the closest alternative, selecting glyphs from a font CLOSE ENOUGH right down to the ever-reliable fallbacks of Times New Roman and Arial Unicode MS. It would help if I could define a custom font stack per "base font": a list of alternatives in a Preferred Order, which would each in turn be scanned for missing glyphs. Kind of (well, exactly like)…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please support colored fonts

Please support colored fonts as mentioned here: https://www.colorfonts.wtf/
    Especially when making tables with symbols it would speed up work a lot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Retain font styles when copying/pasting text from Photoshop to InDesign.

I prefer to mockup print projects in Photoshop (including text) because I have faster/better control when I want to edit images and previsualize the end result. Once I have my final layout I switch to InDesign and replace the text so it's not bitmapped before printing. It would be great if I could just copy and paste the text from Photoshop to InDesign and it would retain the font style (size, weight, color, tracking, leading, etc) rather than having to make all of those adjustments by hand. Currently copying/pasting font styles works between Photoshop and Illustrator, but not PS and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Track changes for anchored stories automatically

When you turn on Track Changes for a story, you have to remember to also click inside any/all anchored stories and turn on Track Changes individually for them as well. I think it's a given that when you're tracking changes to a story, you want to track changes to all "child" stories as well. This should happen by default.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Spellcheck only "real" copy.

Add an option in "Check Spelling" to tell it to "ignore automatically generated placeholder text". So that Spellcheck would flag only real copy. I often use both in my documents and it's hard to check a 40-pg document when it keeps stopping at several paragraphs of placeholder text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Prevent fonts from becoming bitmap when copied into InDesign or Illustrator

Why does a font in InDesign become bitmapped when copied into Illustrator; or the other way around - Illustrator into InDesign?

In Illustrator, why is there no keyboard command for FIND AND REPLACE as there are in other Adobe applications.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make column rules continue in footnotes

If you have a text frame with multiple columns and the footnotes split into columns, the column rules do not continue in the footnotes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Colouring and user-order of font menu

User customized font menu. Colours and the ability to order the fonts exactly how you want. . This makes it so easy to slide to the part of the menu to grab a font you know. This was done in the 1990's by Now Utilities on OS7, 8 and 9. Bring it on!!! It was SO fast to find your fonts. I had blue for Serif, red for San Serif, green for Script and so on. Colour coding is great for many features.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support Excel's Strict Open XML Spreadsheet format

InDesign should be able to Place an Excel file that's been saved as a Strict Open XML Spreadsheet (which appears to be a subset of the normal .xlsx workbook format). Currently, attempting to place an Excel file that's been saved as a Strict Open XML Spreadsheet results in a "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation" error.

A sample Strict Open XML Spreadsheet file is attached.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable column rules to ignore text wrap and anchored objects.

As it is now, column rules adhere to text wrap and will no longer "extend" if near an image with text wrap applied. Furthermore, placing an anchored object, an inline image for example, causes the rule to exhibit the same behavior in that it stops once it reaches the anchored object. Would like an option for column rules to simply ignore text wrap/anchored object so that the rules continue to extend.

This would help me (and others) to keep a consistent appearance as needed. In the attached example, there's a 3 column product listing where you can see how awkward…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Include Endnotes in Find/Change

Include Endnotes in Search options for finding and changing text

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)