2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

710 results found

1. Paragraph Overrides

You used to be able to hover your mouse over a paragraph style in the paragraph style panel that had an override (plus sign). When you hovered over this style it would display a tool tip showing you what was overriding that style. This no longer works.

InDesign magazine has even written an article about it... https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-get-tooltips-working-again.php

The only way to fix this problem is to resize the panel. Every time you need to see what is overriding a style you have to resize the panel meaning you may have to resize the panel dozens of times for a document.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 囲い文字を簡単に作成する機能

テキストに簡単に四角い囲みを作成できる機能が欲しい。

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Fit frame to text WIDTH (not just height)

When working with text in a text frame, we have the FIT FRAME TO CONTENT button that collapses the frame height to the minimum height required to fit the existing text. That's great, use it all the time, but it doesn't collapse the width at all.

It would be nice if there was also a checkbox/option or different button that would also collapse the text frame's WIDTH to the width of the longest line.

This would make it quick and easy to distribute spacing between a bunch of little text boxes aligned in a row. Right now I have to…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add German: Reform 2017

Last year in Germany, a new spelling reform has been published. Currently our indesign only offers spelling according to the German Reform 2006: Please advise whether it is possible to update the German Reform to 2017 indesign
    I asked Adobe support online but he asked me submit this feature requests.

thanks

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Hyphenation Options

Please add a checkbox (or something), so that you can turn off hyphenation of words that are connected to an em dash, and for words that already have a hyphen in them. And related to that, please always break hyphenated words/phrases/URLs at the hyphen, instead of adding another hyphen.

We currently have to search for all these "bad breaks" and this feature would be a big help.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make the first keystroke count

When I highlight text, I'd like my first keystroke to actually make a change rather than deleting the highlighted text. For instance, if I highlighted the word "CHANGE" (all caps) and started to type "change" (all lowercase), I am left with "ange." My first keystroke of "c" doesn't seem to come through. Thanks for looking into this!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Defining a Drop Cap

If you define a Drop Cap in a paragraph style WITH a character style and also define a nested style, if there is a single letter word starting the paragraph, the nested style does not recognize it and will apply the nested style to an additional word beyond the deliminator. For example, a nested style through 3 words will apply to the first 4 if the paragraph starts with "I[space]" or "A[space]". It does not do this if [none] is chosen from the character style dropdown in Drop Caps, but only if one is chosen (even when nothing is defined…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue.
    However this behaviour seems to prevail since quite a long time.

I have marked it NeedsReview for consideration in the coming versions of InDesign.

-Aman

8. Great new palettes

I like Adobe add great features to InDesign:
    1- Ligature Manager: to enable \disable specific ligature(s) in a document, since Unicode and opentype revolutionized the typography abilities.
    2- Kerning Manager: to enable \disable specific kerning pairs in a document, since many non-latin font metrics are badly calculated.
    3- Equation Editor: for maths, chemistry… etc.
    4- Footnote Improvement: to enable user to add marginal footnotes, put footnote in columns… etc.
    Very Much Thanks to Adobe Brains.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Continuous numbering of footnotes and endnotes; endnotes to separate chapter

PLEASE add these features to the footnote and endnote functionality of InDesign:
    - Continuous numbering of footnotes and endnotes throughout the various indd files within a book document
    - Ability to put the endnotes of the different indd files within a book document in a separate .indd file at the end of the book; numbering continuous OR per chapter.

106 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Spell Check prompt upon saving, exporting or printing a document.

When you have finished creating your piece of design or artwork, could InDesign prompt/ask you if you would like to spell check your document? The prompt would come up when you attempt to save, export or print your work, asking if you would like to do this before you complete the relevant action.

This will be extremely useful as this is a key process that gets forgotten by many artworks. This could be a setting option that could ticked on within preferences.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Text Variables in Floating Window/Pod

Text Variables needs a dockable window/panel/pod. Pull defining new variables out of the Text menu and put it in a panel that we can access without having to drill down through the UI.

Having Text Variables available in a panel in this fashion would let us place the cursor, double-click to add a variable, move the cursor via arrows and double-click the next variable. We would also be able to click several variable in a row without having the laboriously drill down through the UI to get to the list. This is very frustrating when you have several dozen variables…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it. I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting. Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?! Many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Endnotes from Word as plain text, please. Just like it used to be.

Could you please add the option to InDesign to import Word files with endnotes as plain text? Just like it used to be?
    The new footnote and endnote features are disastrous for my work as a book designer.
    InDesign shouldn't become a text processor, I think. It is a design tool.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Adding the ability to create a new textbox from selected text.

By adding the option to make a text selection its own, new text box, it takes the hassle out of having to switch through tools and reformat copy. With this option, layouts would be a lot easier to fathom when you can break up the text simply by highlighting and creating the new box.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. highlight hyphenations

A great feature would be if InDesign could highlight automatic hyphenations.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Font style and weight should be separate properies

I think text properties should be more adapted to the CSS structure. This includes applying several styles to a character/paragraph but that topic has already been discussed here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31112107-allow-multiple-character-styles-to-be-applied-to-c

This time, My suggestion is to separate weight (thin, light, regular, medium, bold, black, etc.) from style (italic, oblique, etc.). I know this would be a major change but it's worthy. This would make character styling much easier.

Maybe width (compressed, condensed, extended, etc.) property should be an option, but this isn't important.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Return character leading.

Make the return at the end of a paragraph always match the leading of the rest of the paragraph before it. I find it very odd and annoying when a return character has greater leading than the rest of the paragraph. Somehow Quark Xpress never had this problem—and I'm still annoyed even though I haven't used Xpress for over 10 years. When setting type in any text-dominant publication it is essential to keep leading and spaces between paragraphs consistent. I set my preferences so that leading applies to entire paragraphs, but a return may still have a different leading and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Command Z

I am on a Mac and recently downloaded InDesign 2018. When using Undo (Cmd-Z) it now only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was typed in that action. Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign. This is too time-consuming and would appreciate if you would put it back the way it used to be. Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. text anchor list

There is lack of TEXT ANCHOR LIST window
    Is it very hard to manage such anchors.

I'm finishing a very long scientific publication containing over 650 pages and 1600 footnotes. I have to make about 100 internal hyperlinks and cross references but there is no simple way to see available text anchors in document.

Please think about it.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base