1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Slant button to create faux italics

A one-click button to slant text and create faux italics.

Yes, the resulting text won't be real italics. Yes, typographic snobs will look down on InDesign and on you as a designer for using it.

But on projects were it doesn't matter, we get one-button access to make our clients happy and move onto projects where it real italics do matter.

I remember a time when this button was in InDesign, for the love of god, please bring it back.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. My request would be to insert a tool capable of comparing texts (between two or more text boxes or between paragraph style / character)

My request would be to insert a tool capable of comparing texts (between two or more text boxes or between paragraph style / character or between pages of indd documents).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. errors created when outlining text

When I outlined text today before sending to the printer, extra spaces were introduced into the text. this isn't supposed to happen!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Fix endnote placement options to include placement immediately following chapter text.

I have yet to see a book with chapter endnotes that had notes starting on a new page rather than immediately after the chapter text. It isn't possible, though, in InDesign, to select this as an option. Can this be addressed?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. please add the tools math and chemistry equation,

please add the tools or plugins ,how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation. i used olad applcaition adobe pagemaker 5 or 7 i can create the math and chemistry equation in it , but i cant create a equitation in it i used the 3rd party plugin
    http://www.mathmagic.com/product/pro.html , this appcation i used it in adobe pagemaker, but this plugin i can't used it in indign cc or cs6 , i want a eqautiion in text document in default setting , size and font ,
    reply…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make "Paste without formatting" work for any type of text in clipboard

If I want to paste text into InDesign and use the destination formatting rather than whatever the source is, I'm hard-wired to use "ctrl + shift + V". However it appears that if the contents of the clipboard are plain text, this command isn't available, presumably because InDesign thinks it's not necessary.

This means that the interface is inconsistent, because sometimes you need ctrl + V and sometimes you need ctrl + shift + V, depending on what's on the clipboard.

The option should always be available so that if you want plain text you can use the ctrl +…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Grep style formatting for variables

Active linked variables and Grep styles do not work together.

When you use variables and paragraph formats with Grep styles, you have to set the variable back to text and lose the link, to enable formatting with the Grep style.

Variables should be handled by InDesign like normal text, with all features of formatting etc.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Spellchecking and hyphenation anno 2019

The current spell checker is helpful, but also limited. The error detection rate is too low. Hyphenation error also occurs too often. (Both esp. in german language.) Artificial intelligence that maps the complete official dictionaries and spelling rules of each language should be added to the agenda and implemented. User dictionaries should only record WORDSAMENTS that contain words that are not in the official dictionary. Word forms and compound words should be derived from the rules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. text conversation in profile bugs in CC19

Text converting in outline bugs in CC19!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. horizontal alignment of text inside of text frame

Previously InDesign had HORIZONTAL alignment of text inside the text frame. You could align text at the top, bottom and centre of the text frame. It was one of the best features of InDesign, and it seems to be stripped off. :(
    Unless it's still there somewhere, thoroughly hidden away. But why?!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow character style to affect tab leaders

I applied a tab leader in my paragraph style in order to force dots to appear between my text and page number in my table of contents. However, there is no way to style those leaders. InDesign manual says: To change the font or other formatting of the tab leader, select the tab character in the text frame, and use the Character panel or Type menu to apply formatting.

This is fine except when you have a really long table of contents and want to format each tab leader. I chose a smaller dot by choosing a light font and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. make Spell Check and Find/Change operate in page order rather than chronological order of text box creation

Find/Change and Spell Check seem to function in a random way (they actually search through text boxes in the order in which the boxes were created in the document). In a large document a user can become very confused about how much of the document is searched, especially if he makes changes mid-search.

It would be much more user friendly if the functions would operate in a page by page order.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Spell Check in Reverse (Backward) direction.

When running spellcheck on a document.. Id like to be able to go back. I click through the spell check pretty fast in the interest of time. Id Like a "back button" instead of just a "skip" forward button or "ignore all" button... Instead of having to go through the entire document to get back to the word i saw that might be misspelled. I'd like to be able to click back to the word then proceed through the remainder of the document.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have implemented this feature in the latest version of InDesign (InDesign 15.0). Now in addition to Spell Check in Forward direction, you can choose “Backward” direction while checking spelling.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out this feature.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Empty index feature

Since 2016 people are trying to find a good way to reset/whipe/delete/empty the INDEX when things go wrong. This issue is not solved. It takes massive amount of time to delete an index manually.

I had "assistance" from Adobe online chat. They even think it is possible. But when checking in Indesign. They too find it impossible to empty an index.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add "no hyphenation" as a character style.

"No Break" does not mean the same as "No Hyphenation".
    If you have a long sentence and not only one word that should not be hyphenated, adding "no break" style is no help. You must exclude all the spaces in the sentence to make the sentence break.
    A new character style "no hyphenation" would do this automatically.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Apply Character style to Running variable header + header in more then one line

Add a possibility to apply character style to Running variable header (italic, bold etc.) and add a possibility to have running header in more than one line

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ENHANCED CROSS-REFERENCES - FOOTNOTES

I was working on a document where the client had references in footnotes to other references: e.g. "See footnote 6". It would be great to have that be an auto updating cross-reference. (like paragraph numbers or page numbers work now)

You can already choose the "footnote" paragraph style, but the reference footnote number cannot be included in the script. Please fix that

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Outline all fonts in a merged document.

We are a print company and regularly deal with personalised text within data merge. Sometime we have to use 'create merged document' to alter specific text and often we come across the issue where fonts cannot be embedded when exporting, I know there is a long winded fix for this but it would be great if there was a feature to simply click a button to ouitline all fonts in a merged document instead of having to go through each page, or adding a small transparency and flattening etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change case Find/Replace dialog

It would fantastic to force Lower case/Upper case/Title case/Sentence case by Text or GREP pattern in Find/Change dialog.
    Also would be very useful including this into GREP style.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PLEASE ADD IN INDESIGN THE EQUATION EDITOR.

Please add the new add in is "Equation Editor" like found in Microsoft Word, it is very useful

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base