1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a "Dropword" feature

A “dropword” is like a drop cap, but instead of making one or more characters large, it makes a space for the letter or word, but leaves the word a normal size:
    https://indesignsecrets.com/creating-dropwords-indesign.php

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Delete unused-variables

Unfortunately the UI- and the Handling of variables is quiet different to all other menues and function in InDesign. And so theres still no way to delete "unused" variables.

While handling an document over several years - e.g. a typical product-catalog or price list - the variables-list grows from year to year as there are every year new products which need a variable. After some years it is not practical to have a list with 500 variables but only 100 are used.
    It would be very appreciated if the complete handling of variables could be like in all other menues.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option-Click to indent both sides of a paragraph

When using cursor to click on the up/down arrows in the paragraph palette to increase or decrease indent, hold the option key to indent both sides. (Option key is common to constraining reshape to both sides of an object.)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Highlight changes

When 'undo' or 'redo' is clicked, go to that page and highlight what just changed, that way you won't have to hunt for it..

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Trim dimension text variable

Client: “THIS IS THE WRONG SIZE!”

Designer: “But I put the trim dimension text variable in the slug area! Oh, right. There is no trim dimension text variable.”

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Turn off 'missing fonts' alert

A setting (with no docs open) that says "don't alert me to missing fonts" when I open a doc. It would be just like the "don't ask me about missing links" setting - which we like in the studio. Because sometimes we need to check lots of docs for something (could be a house style thing, a find-replace thing, a colour check thing etc) but don't want to be 'font-alerted' at this stage. The warning seems too pedantic when we're nowhere near final production stages...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Provide 'Indent to here' (~/^i) as a 'Text After' option in the Bullets and Numbering dialog

The ability to add 'Indent to here' as an option in 'Text After' bullets or numbering in the dialog box would be a time-saver so it's automatically inserted after them, rather than having to Grep it or do it to the necessary lines, individually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Prevent fonts from becoming bitmap when copied into InDesign or Illustrator

Why does a font in InDesign become bitmapped when copied into Illustrator; or the other way around - Illustrator into InDesign?

In Illustrator, why is there no keyboard command for FIND AND REPLACE as there are in other Adobe applications.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Mimic Text Box

For Example: If you have a list of people and you create a text box for each person that has a number in the text box.

Further in the document you would have a map that also has the numbers showing which person is situated where.

What would be very helpful is to have those 2 numbers (1 and 1, 2 and 2, etc.) be able to auto update the other.

So when someone is removed from the list, the person numbered 10 originally now becomes 9, which also auto updates on the map

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make character and paragraph sections of Properties panel full featured like the Character and Paragraph panels

The Properties panel is a great replacement for having the Character & Paragraph panels both open at all times. However, it's missing some functionality that's presented in the upper right menu on these panels (see attached). Some of these options aren't found anywhere else. It's a shame to need to have these panels open alongside the Properties panel. It would be preferable to add these options to the Properties panel to keep things tidy.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Scale type to fill text frame

When preparing newspaper or newsletter style layouts, it's quite common to scale headlines to fill available space.
    It would be great if there was a way to automatically fit type to the frame it resides in, by scaling font size. I'm sure this would be very useful for data merge scenarios too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Typographer's Quotes Override

For some users, straight quotes and apostrophes are the bane of our existence. The Use Typographer's Quotes checkbox is in Preferences>Type is (strangely) document-dependent and may switch off if you have a document open that originated on another machine.
    It's rather annoying to have to keep popping back into Preferences. Is there a possibility we could have an option to have it ALWAYS enabled, so that it overrides individual document settings?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. GREP 'soft' Find and Replace

I'd like to be able to use GREP to search for a particular string (in a particular style) and then hide it and replace it with a different string with a selected style.

This would allow me to replace, for example, the company's name written in full with the company's logo (which is a single character in a special font) without destroying the text. It could also allow me to replace the words for 'wheelchair access' with the icon etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Object corner effect

When I insert a spacing on a text box using Text Fram Options Panel I lose all my custom spacing once I apply a corner effect.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. letter outlines

With the new update 2019 I can't make correct letteroutlines anymore. We need it a lot so please let me know how you can fix it. Thanks a lot!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow users to add footnotes in table text!!!

Please allow users to add footnotes in table text, I can't believe that this is not poosible. I am formatting a lengthy document for a client and some of the footnotes need to be in table text and they cannot be added without disrupting the flow of footnotes. This is such a basic thing that you should be able to do! Please add it!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Adding a dedicated Opentype window to InDesign, as is available in Illustrator (Alt + Shift + Ctrl/Cmd + T)

I think it would be extremely helpful to add a dedicated Opentype window to InDesign, as is available in Illustrator.

Changing more than one setting for a typeface - for example, removing ligatures and then enabling tabular lining - requires more than one navigation through the sub-menu within Character/Paragraph.

It seems strange that this is not a standard window in InDesign when it is in Illustrator, being that InDesign is the standard application for creating text-heavy page layouts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Find font should allow the use of character styles

When I import a Word file and preserve local formatting some text comes through as an unrecognized font because the local style applied to the text does not match the style available in the family.

For example there is some text that is Calibi Italic. My body copy uses Frutiger LT Std and the italic version is Frutiger LT Std 56 Italic. InDesign has styles the text as Frutiger LT Std Italic, so it is pink and uses the wrong font.

Find/Change does not allow me to search for a style that does not exist. I cannot search for Frutiger…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base